AT Max- Now I'm on the fence

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm new to detecting. I have been using a Fisher F22 for 4 months, and like it. I watch a lot of detecting videos, and Garrett products seem to be everywhere. The AT Pro and AT Gold look like great machines. When the AT Max was announced in early May, I convinced myself it would be THE machine to have for years to come. More power, greater sensitivity, water proof, wireless earphones, solid brand, etc. So I pre-ordered one. (A/K/A impulse buy!)

After waiting for so long to get it, and now finding out it won't be available until August or September, I'm wondering if I should hold off until it is tested and reviewed multiple times by multiple users, and then decide. It's definitely not cheap, and I'm a casual user at this point, 3-4 hunts a month. I live in CT, and hunt beaches, lake shorelines, woods, and fields. Perhaps the Max is overkill for what I need?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tom

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of nothing wrong with the Fisher, and 4 months isn't very long to develop a real understanding with any detector really, and again, Fisher's are good. I'll admit it's always tempting to want a newer and what we often believe to be a better machine, and if we were to act on that all of the time, I think we would all own like 30 detectors. Give it time, no rush, and if you can, wait until the AT Max has been out for awhile, to see what others really have to say about it, and all detecting video's are not always what they seem. It is of course up to you, but I would wait for awhile and work some more with your F22, you might be surprised, there will always be room for a second detector in the future. Added note; The AT will work well in all the places you mentioned, although, for Salt Water beaches perhaps not as good as a multi Freq. detector. Welcome to the hobby, prepare for it to become an obsession. Would not have it any other way.

OP
OP
Phishfindr

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the reply. Sound advice indeed. I can see how it becomes an obsession!

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Tom, say good-by to your former life, friends and family will now have to share you with a metal detector. Great good luck to you on future hunts.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Keep learning your Fisher. There will always be a new detector on the horizon with new features.

Keep your head down until you know your machine inside and out.

I would think the F75 LTD would be an upgrade path for you...

OP
OP
Phishfindr

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beerguy,Thanks. I see you have the Park Ranger finds bag by Freeloader. I bought one last month from him. It is fantastic! He's a great guy, too!

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard from a friend that Garrett is reprogramming the AT Max so that it will have a volume control and a couple new features. If this is the case then the wait could be quite a while, but perhaps worth it! Hope this helps, Tt

sky355

Jul 24, 2012
Littleton Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Fisher F22
Vibra tector 740
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's like we are brothers in thought here. I just bought a fisher f22 and was seriously looking at the AT max as my next detector down the road. This is creepy. I had already told myself I'd wait a few years before I upgrade though I want to wait for it to be used a lot first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
That is right on, Phish. I just ordered the larger Pack Mule as well. Great products that everyone on here should have.

Beerguy,Thanks. I see you have the Park Ranger finds bag by Freeloader. I bought one last month from him. It is fantastic! He's a great guy, too!

FWest

Jun 27, 2017
Detector(s) used
EQ 600, ORX, TDI SL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make it 3, I have an F22 for a month or so and been looking at a mid range unit. The Teknetics Patriot is what I have been looking at.

Also thought maybe the release of the Max would prompt people to sell their AT pro's ?

OP
OP
Phishfindr

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I cancelled my pre-order of the At Max. And I feel relieved that I did! I'm going to concentrate on my F22 for a while, get better at detecting with it, and take it from there. Thanks for all of the great replies.

Happy Hunting everyone!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After waiting for so long to get it, and now finding out it won't be available until August or September, I'm wondering if I should hold off until it is tested and reviewed multiple times by multiple users, and then decide.

That is the same reason I decided not to get the MAX. Garrett should not have introduced the MAX on youtube. So many watch those videos. I am sure it was intended to be introduced a week or two ago. I am sure some problem came up, maybe shipping or packaging or even the operation booklet or maybe it is on CD.

I never buy a new model car the first year of production. I wait a year or two to get the bugs worked out.

So right now an AT PRO is on it's way. Tracking says tomorrow.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why not think about a Makro Racer 2?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions