vpierceiii

Aug 2, 2018
Placerville CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. What I like is the gold mode that uses the high freq on the nox800.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
After the research I did on these two machines I'm going with the EQ 800. To me personally it's an easy decision after looking into them (YouTube, articles, chatting on here).
I was going to get both over this upcoming winter but now it'll be the Tejon over the AT Max. I'm not a huge fan of looking at a screen so I'll have to get use to it again. Personally I'd like to cover the screen on the Nox once I get use to it lol.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As long as all y’all stay away from the ..... ... you’ll be ok.
Inside joke to those that know me, the quest continues.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
XTerraman. $800 on a new Equinox800 shouldn't be a problem. There's one on ebay for $808 and I would like to think that calling a few dealers will get a little better deal than that.
Someone stated that they couldn't hit a 5" deep dime with the EQ800 without going to a single frequency. If it can't hit a 5" dime in FBS, ......
I know the Garret's like the back of my hand and I absolutely hate the Explorer SE Pro.
Anyone want to trade a Max for my Explorer? lol
I'm still on the fence on a Nox.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had both and like the equinox better.

I still like my at pro with a tiny coil too.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
XTerraman. $800 on a new Equinox800 shouldn't be a problem. There's one on ebay for $808 and I would like to think that calling a few dealers will get a little better deal than that.
Someone stated that they couldn't hit a 5" deep dime with the EQ800 without going to a single frequency. If it can't hit a 5" dime in FBS, ......
I know the Garret's like the back of my hand and I absolutely hate the Explorer SE Pro.
Anyone want to trade a Max for my Explorer? lol
I'm still on the fence on a Nox.

Lol, it's not FBS. whoever can't hit a 5" dime with an Equinox must have the sens. Stuck on 1.

XTerraman

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2010
I chatted online today with Bart from Big Boy Hobby. He is Military Veteran friendly. If you have your DD214 and let him know, you will be pleasantly surprised on what he can do for you!
I couldn't make the purchase today on the EQ 800. But, will buy from Bart in the near future.

AurumHunter024

May 10, 2018
CO, 4 corners
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a newb to metal detecting, I choose the equinox 800 over the AT series machines.

Equinox has several advantages over the ATs, that are made apparent with a bit of research.
The main thing I saw was that the Equinox are, literally, several machines in a single package while the ATs are only one machine.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big Wave Dave started the response by saying you may get brand loyalty responses. I know that some take a question like, "AT MAX or Equinox 800" as a Manufacturers Loyalty statement rather than performance question.
From 1985 until 2012, I was using Garrett detectors exclusively. Then I purchased a Minelab Etrac. I really saw a difference in performance and productivity. Garrett is a great company that makes a great product and is hard to match in their after sales support .
Minelab is a different technology and has outperformed the Garrett machines in various applications. I recovered numerous gold rings with the AT PRO, but the PRO will not perform anywhere close to the Excalibur in salt water. Different technology. Since breaking the "Loyalty " stigma, I have added the CTX 3030 as well as the XP DEUS.
I'm watching very closely at what is happening with the Equinox 800. I'm pretty sure it will be my next detector.

Last edited:

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Big Wave Dave started the response by saying you may get brand loyalty responses. I know that some take a question like, "AT MAX or Equinox 800" as a Manufacturers Loyalty statement rather than performance question.
From 1985 until 2012, I was using Garrett detectors exclusively. Then I purchased a Minelab Etrac. I really saw a difference in performance and productivity. Garrett is a great company that makes a great product and is hard to match in their after sales support .
Minelab is a different technology and has outperformed the Garrett machines in various applications. I did recovered numerous gold rings with the AT PRO, but the PRO will not perform anywhere close to the Excalibur in salt water. Different technology. Since breaking the "Loyalty " stigma, I have added the CTX 3030 as well as the XP DEUS.
I'm watching very closely at what is happening with the Equinox 800. I'm pretty sure it will be my next detector.

I'm like you with using Garrett's exclusively from 1994 through 2009 then got an Explorer SE Pro. I'm very open minded and pretty unbiased when it comes to the different brands nowadays.
I will say this though. The XP Deus is an excellent detector from what I've seen even though I've never swung one. But the noise it makes just irritates the hell out of me. It's also the only machine that drives my dog nuts when watching videos lol.
I'd love to see someone compare a machine I use to own, the GTI 2500 against the AT Max.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm like you with using Garrett's exclusively from 1994 through 2009 then got an Explorer SE Pro. I'm very open minded and pretty unbiased when it comes to the different brands nowadays.
I will say this though. The XP Deus is an excellent detector from what I've seen even though I've never swung one. But the noise it makes just irritates the hell out of me. It's also the only machine that drives my dog nuts when watching videos lol.
I'd love to see someone compare a machine I use to own, the GTI 2500 against the AT Max.

Lol! Same here. They remind me of a Raptor on Jurassic park trying to bust out of the cage.

vpierceiii

Aug 2, 2018
Placerville CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I ended up buying the nox600. After researching the differences I didn’t think the extra money for a 800 could be justified considering my metal detecting habits. And if I want to look for gold I can always use the beach mode in multi IQ.
Anyway I received it last night and so far I’m impressed. Very sturdy but light and no wobble in the shafts. I air tested a bunch of coins, rings, etc, and the TIDs are consistent with what others have stated. It’s really sensitive too....my dog walked by the coil while it was on my bench, and it picked up the dog tags from about 2.5 feet away. I will have a learning curve to navigate though.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I ended up buying the nox600. After researching the differences I didn’t think the extra money for a 800 could be justified considering my metal detecting habits. And if I want to look for gold I can always use the beach mode in multi IQ.
Anyway I received it last night and so far I’m impressed. Very sturdy but light and no wobble in the shafts. I air tested a bunch of coins, rings, etc, and the TIDs are consistent with what others have stated. It’s really sensitive too....my dog walked by the coil while it was on my bench, and it picked up the dog tags from about 2.5 feet away. I will have a learning curve to navigate though.

Just stay in the high teens on sensitivity until you learn the tone nuances. Otherwise you will be digging iron falses like nobodies business.

The equinox lives at a deeper level than many detectors at lower sensitivity levels too. Especially on smaller objects.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Just stay in the high teens on sensitivity until you learn the tone nuances. Otherwise you will be digging iron falses like nobodies business.

The equinox lives at a deeper level than many detectors at lower sensitivity levels too. Especially on smaller objects.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All modes will find gold if the target is big enough. If it's tiny, the gold modes are the best. Whether you'll need the single high frequencies will depend on your hunting area and size of nuggets. The beach mode are not that great for tiny gold in my testing. Gold 1 and 2 were the best, Field 2 next best, and Park 2 a distant 4th. The other modes would not hit on my tiny test gold. These are using factory settings and just adjusting the sensitivity to make the detector stable.

vpierceiii

Aug 2, 2018
Placerville CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the advice. Very helpful.
Yesterday was my first time out at a friends property. And I found two wheat pennies at 11 and 10 inches. And the signals were nice and strong. Very impressed so far.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the advice. Very helpful.
Yesterday was my first time out at a friends property. And I found two wheat pennies at 11 and 10 inches. And the signals were nice and strong. Very impressed so far.

10-11 inch strong signaled wheat.....you should be sharing your settings! Lol. Nice job. It sniffs out wheats like crazy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions