AT Pro 5x8 DD coil.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had an AT pro for two years and had the stock coil, the 5x8, and the super sniper. The 5x8 never came off, the beach, parks, home sites it is all I used, as you will see, many others do also

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way better balance, than the stock coil, and not much if any loss of depth. I used the stock coil for about 4 months, until I got the 5x8............I just liked it better

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skippy, it will separate targets better due to the smaller footprint. You only lose about 1/2 inch of depth. Good targets are continually masked by iron, pull tabs, bottle caps, etc. By separating out the bad targets, you will find more good targets.

To test this, use your large coil and cover a 10' X 10' area, and dig all targets above 40. Once you are finished, go back with the small coil, and I will bet you will find several more targets that were masked by trash under the larger coil.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you would be happier with a Pulse Induction Detector.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
The 5 x 8 is a must in trashy area's. I bought one when I bought my AT, because there were so many good reviews here about it. It's all about separating the good from the bad targets. And it certainly does!

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's probably why people like them. Trash and discrimination. The areas I hunt are all newer parks. I don't think a single one of them is over 10 years old. The one trashy park that I found, I dug everything. It's now no longer trashy. I found 17 rings in that sucker. It's clean for next year!

Basically, my style of hunting is "dig everything and sort it out in the pouch." I tested a bunch of my rings on my AT PRo, and found I had 5 gold rings (smallest to largest) ring up as (anywhere between these figures based on angle of attack and ring):
42-43, 44-47, 47-51, 54-58, 59-63

My other men's rings (titanium, steel, tungsten, etc), filled in the gaps from 48-67. When I did the silver rings, they rang up from 62-98

Basically, what I learned in 10 minutes of testing my new AT Pro, is that ANYTHING from 42-98 could be valuable. I was a bit disappointed. Then I just laughed. I was buying it for the water detection, anyway. Digging everything doesn't matter to me, it's how I already do it. My first outing I found a really nice softball token that rang up at 99. I suspect it's silver, but haven't tested, yet.

So... in a nutshell, I found within a week that I could find valuable on ANY range point from 42-99. Yep... AT Pro not withstanding, I'm still stuck digging everything, if I want to find the good stuff.

Please, go ahead and discriminate trashy areas. Leave some stuff for me. :) I'll probably find it showing up as the exact same range as the can slaw I'd dug the last 7 pieces, and expected to find another piece (I even called it out to my son), but instead, found ring #100. Gold and diamonds. Target separation wouldn't have helped any. I just dig it all.
View attachment 1259489

Skippy

Sounds like you got it all figured out......why do you care what we say?

decoy218

Feb 20, 2013
Va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, XP Deus, Minelab GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IBefore I go sell it to someone who CAN use the thing... I wondered..Skippy

Remember that it's got to be worth about $100 for me in finds to justify keeping (probably what I'll get from ebay listing of the coil and cover after fees).

If you decide to part ways with it check your PM for message.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please, go ahead and discriminate trashy areas. Leave some stuff for me. :)

Sounds like you got it all figured out......why do you care what we say?

I'm pretty sure he was responding to the above quote you made. Could be taken as a bit high brow after asking for an opinion.

I personally disc all the way up to a dimes and notch in nickels....leaving the "stuff" for people who have time for that. I could care less about rings in parks as I simply do not have the time to dig trash. If I pull a single pull-tab I consider it wasted time.

Then again I weekend warrior a claim here in Colorado...so park gold is the last of my concern.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh I caught that he thought that the way I expressed myself was high brow... And that he was calling me out on it. I stand by my comments though. I asked for opinions left it for more than a while, then responded with my own in my own thread. I think that's fair game.

If all the 5x8 coil is is a isolator, I don't need it. It might be incredibly useful to others who live near areas trashed for 40 years or more. That's not my environment. And if the other detectorists here didn't discriminate, I would have a lot fewer goodies. And I AM grateful to guys like you that target hunt differently! :). I'm all about those rings. Seriously. That's not high brow intended. I really meant it to the guys who like to discriminate. I would have a bunch more crappy trips under my belt if the previous detectorists chose to dig all those foil signals.

For me, that's what I'm after. So yeah. I don't need discrimination. High brow or not, I stand by my quote. To al the guys living discrimination. Thanks!!

And to close this out. I've decided to sell. And THAT is the decision I came here to figure out. Thanks you again TNet for chiming in. :)

Skippy

Good decision...........Happy Hunting...................

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread