At Pro and gold rings....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off all detectors report on the conductivity of the target and gold rings are alloyed with many metals so the numbers are different. Add to this the orientation in the ground, moisture and about what color socks your wearing that day. Most gold rings come in near pull tab but they can also be near foil even iron up to quarter and higher. Best to lay some down and go over them in the Pro mode to learn what they sound like but for true tone ID you need a Excal or Sov GT at $$$ more. Basicilly if it beeps, I dig it. :laughing7:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lowest i have seen was 40. Highest was low 50. 40's seem to be magic range.

relicswinger

Jun 19, 2008
I have a friendly pawn shop near me and I went in there with my 1350. I asked them to let me wave various gold rings and other items at the coil so I could get the ranges down. On the 1350 the platinum and gold rings that they had on hand rang in at 3.5 to 5.5. They didn't have any gold bars so I couldn't check out the gold cache readings. Maybe you could do the same thing... :icon_thumleft:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Myself i really don't pay any attention to the numbers on a detector . Don't have any on my sovereign...........On the AT Pro i also go by the sound never did worry about what number was what........

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
No metal detector can indicate gold rings very accurately on the ID scale. Gold rings offer too broad of a range and are too similar to alum trash. Use depth and experience using your ears to pull deep old gold and goodies whilst eliminating needless retrieval of alum trash and such. Dig it all for the full metal detecting lesson.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I know this is provocative. Guys find 100 plus rings a season. I have a hard time finding one a season, and I dig all midrange 4" or deeper with hot machines hoping for the best. Success at gold ring retrieval is an enigma, wrapped up in a mystery, all stuffed deep inside a riddle.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to find many gold rings a season when I hunted the coast beaches where fingers get slippery. Now with all the competion a lot of the ground has been sifted. We still have the newbies that are almost running along the beach swinging like it was a grass whip and six inches off the ground and wonder why they don't find anything. Many are just using to much disc and improper coil control or a small coil. They have to remember that the field depth at the bottom of the field is maybe only 2" round so if they aren't over lapping a lot they are going to miss a lot of targets. Then too stopping to dig coins wastes time which could be better spent sweeping for the rings.

Attachments

• Concentric%20coil (2).jpg
    Concentric%20coil (2).jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1,513
  • Double-D%20coils.jpg
    Double-D%20coils.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 1,522
  • Concentric%20coil (2).jpg
    Concentric%20coil (2).jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1,512
  • Double-D%20coils.jpg
    Double-D%20coils.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 1,503

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where do these pictures come from ?

You should always check the true detection pattern under each coil (Garrett imaging ones are especially interesting).
Many concentrics will detect outside the width of the coil and remain wide at depth (think of a squashed balloon).
Few Double D's do detect at the full width at depth.

Picture is gold rings + a few silver from my trip abroad a few weeks back. Many have cracks where they have been cut down or increased in size and the difference this makes to depth and I.D. is amazing. Better to use pulse or the likes of a Sovereign as conductivity results are so skewed by target size, relationship to the bottom of the coil and the mineralisation of the ground/beach.

Attachments

• Carrings.jpg
    Carrings.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 868
  • Carrings.jpg
    Carrings.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 437

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions