Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMAG0651.jpg
Dug three centuries in 500 square feet.
IMAG0646.jpg Ch'ien-Lung coin 1736-1795.
IMAG0643.jpg 1929 Buffalo Nickel
IMAG0647.jpg 1959 (Silver)
And four Flat Buttons in top pick from early 1800's.

Besides the Silver all were mid tone hits. I could have walked right past the flats and Chinese coin if not for VDI repeating through the iron.

I always read. "If a nail is next to it, then" BOLOGNA! AT has no problem pulling through. They just never learned the machine and how to read the sounds.

Last edited:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt Rick. I'm starting to figure that out on mine. It does take time, at least for a dumb ol boy like me.

HH, Relic Nut

OP
OP
rick67

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt Rick. I'm starting to figure that out on mine. It does take time, at least for a dumb ol boy like me.

HH, Relic Nut

Your not Dumb. You could teach a class on how to Relic Hunt with AT.

The reason for my post was. I have been to that spot before, the first months I first used the AT. Only digging the "Good" repeatable sounds and numbers.

Over the past year and a half of digging an Item here and there with a crappy ID in iron infested areas. I've noticed there is repetition in the VDI numbers. The iron was showing supreme, but enough was coming through "repetitively" that I ID all that I dug but that Chinese coin.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rick57 great finds & congrats! ATP is an outstanding machine. It's all in the language of the machine.

Texas ED

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It does take time and just about when you think you learned it well you find out that you're more tuned to the sounds and you know what it is telling you. All detectors are amazing once you really get your ear tuned to them.. You can have all the VDI's in the world but your ear will tell you whether to dig or not. I have had vdi's bounce all over but the tone told me there was something worth digging and more often than not my ear was right

twalton

Jul 16, 2008
Virginia, Il
Detector(s) used
At Pro, Whites Prizm 6T, Fisher 1235x, Pioneer 505
I switched to a set of Ghost NDT headphones and can hear those faint tones a little better now. My hearing is not equal in both ears so I'm able to tune in to my good ear. The 5x8 DD definitely picks out a good target mixed in with iron/junk much better than the stock coil, just swing a lot slower in pro mode - zero discrimination.

OP
OP
rick67

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had vdi's bounce all over but the tone told me there was something worth digging and more often than not my ear was right

Do you get a lot of low tone Iron around by you?
Here it blisters and will give some real sweet tone.
Doesn't sound as clean as Silver but becomes annoying sometimes. VDI 82-85

Keep in mind I'm digging a site of a cabin or encampment. So the low tones are non stop, and masking a good sound ID. So I've been paying more attention to numbers jumping all over and have started to see a repetition that produced all I found in this thread but the dime.

OP
OP
rick67

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I switched to a set of Ghost NDT headphones and can hear those faint tones a little better now.

Nice choice, the ability to change out the chords will pay for itself one day.

TreasureJeff77

Mar 12, 2013
Eagan
Detector(s) used
350 GTA Garrett, ACE 250, ATP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also dig in an area with tons of iron and found a 1939 wheat in the middle of it. Like you said, swing very slow and the ATP will tell you if something is trying to hide from you!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread