AT Pro and Trashy Sites

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i agree it's weird sometimes but in plowed fields it makes sense. What I don't get is how aluminum pop can get so deep sometimes. I've found a silver dime at 6 inches and a few steps I get another hit and dig to 12" and it a aluminum can. This is in a mowed yard and not a field.

Yep..especially when that aluminum can displays as a 99 and your thinking silver dollar, or aluminum can/junk and should I even bother. Ahh the dilemmas we face.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost passed on one and dug it and it ended up being a a shallow silver dollar. It was a great signal but an overload. I now dig a lot of aluminum cans along with all the pull tabs. This hobby will give you a workout.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I almost passed on one and dug it and it ended up being a a shallow silver dollar. It was a great signal but an overload. I now dig a lot of aluminum cans along with all the pull tabs. This hobby will give you a workout.

My first silver dollar was shallow and sounded just like an aluminum can. You never know unless you dig!

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

For iron infested sites I definately want one of these!

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting video. Thanks

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah! I gotta have one! There's a couple of places that would really make a difference where I hunt!

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
If a site is REALLY trashy , turn down the sensitivity and this focuses the signal from the detector more to whats UNDER the coil and not whats around the outside edges. Think of it as a lot like focusing the beam of a flashlight , so that the light is going more in the direction you are pointing it instead of being scattered in a wider field. That analogy isnt entirely accurate but its the same principal. The problem with using high sensitivity is the higher it is the more interference you get from objects out just past the sides of the coil ( or just outside the coils normal field ), this can throw the detector off causing added possibility of target masking or more than one target averaged into one. Some places I hunt , a few parks and the local fairgrounds , I turn the sensitivity down to where there is only 2 or 3 bars showing , that helps a LOT and I can actually locate specific good targets in middle of bad that I miss completely with the sensitivity up high. This seems backwards when you are wanting to get as much depth as possible , but sensitivity and depth are not the same , low sensitivity dont necessarily mean less depth. Even if it did , you are only going to get as much depth as the shallowest metal target in the coils field anyway.....so using this trick to " focus " the detection field really isnt going to cost you anything. And it works ! :)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread