May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You need a dual frequency machine to hunt in salt water. AT Pro is single frequency and wont really work in that environment. if you are going in the water the smaller the coil the easier it is to swing especially if its moving.

OP
OP
captbo

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Calvert Co Md / Atlantic NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800.Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Garrett Ace 250
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks AdamBomb I will be working the waters edge

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
My son uses his AT Proi with a Nel Snake coil on salty beaches. Seems to do him just right, he always find gold and silver, but I guess that is not hard to do at Euro beach resorts where it appears the fashion is get drunk and leave everything behind.

Happy Hunting.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Use a smaller coil....you will get better sensitivity on targets. If it's wet sand and unstable, set the ground balance to around 17. You should be able to run your detector at a higher sensitivity level with a smaller coil. Do your hunting parallel to the beach to maintain the same mineral/salt levels in the sand.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.:occasion14:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks AdamBomb I will be working the waters edge

You will still have a lot of problems in the wet salt sand. Not trying to discourage you just letting you know so you are not disappointed. In the dry sand it will do awesome but as soon as the sand gets wet the AT Pro will not work since its single frequency - it cant handle the mineralization. There are some beaches its said to work ok in the wet sand but I know when people visit around my beaches they cant go near the wetsand unless they have a dual frequency machine or a PI.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Here's a video which might be of some help. The AT Pro was engineered to be ground balanced to salt in moderate conditions. Multi-frequency detectors including pulse induction detectors also suffer somewhat in severe salt conditions, but not as much as a single frequency (VLF) detector.

[video]http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_pro_saltwater_video_en.aspx[/video]

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smaller the better [That's not what she said]. Just got back from VA beach and tried to run an NEL Attack and that thing won't run on dry or wet sand there period no matter the settings. Went back to the stock coil with better but still mediocre results. Gb 9-13 with sens 4 bars down. Picks up a quarter.... at 3-4" max. Doesn't hurt to try, was actually more stable on the wet or in the water, likely due to the smooth sand vs the washboard dry area.
After 3 hours I got fed up and just hit the waters edge with my sovereign even though it has a pooty 8" bbs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread