AT Pro does it again!

A

AlFu

(1-25-12)

I was out with a friend who swings the Etrac today. He found a Wheat Cent and I pulled out this 1770's King George 3 Half Penny. I know. I know. The Etrac is a far more expensive machine than my Garrett AT Pro and the Etrac should out perform my modestly priced detector. Not today though! Sorry. I had to gloat just a little. Oh. I almost forgot. I bought the 5x8 coil for my AT Pro and I really like it but today, I had on the stock coil and it did it's job very nicely.

H.H.

Al-Fu

Attachments

• 1-2512 front.JPG
    1-2512 front.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 518
  • 1-25-12 back.JPG
    1-25-12 back.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 518
  • 1-2512 front.JPG
    1-2512 front.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 515
  • 1-25-12 back.JPG
    1-25-12 back.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 536

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice 3 cent! The AT Pro is a hard machine to beat for the $. Congrats!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wooo-Hooo! Congratulations!!! :headbang: :hello2: :notworthy:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems like 90% of the job is just swinging your coil over the right spot.

8% is having it set correctly.

2% is the detector you are using. ;D

OP
OP
A

AlFu

Smudge said:
It seems like 90% of the job is just swinging your coil over the right spot.

8% is having it set correctly.

2% is the detector you are using. ;D

Oh, I agree Smudge. I just get really lucky! Plus I know my machine very well. I'm out hunting just about every day. The research helps too. Never the less, it still feels great to smoke an Etrac though! Ha!

H.H.

Al

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You have to learn the E-Trac is a way over priced detector that will go no deeper than your AT Pro..... People have this thing that the more you pay for a detector the deeper it is ....NOT TRUE.....NOT TRUE.... And NOT TRUE.............

OP
OP
A

AlFu

Keppy said:
You have to learn the E-Trac is a way over priced detector that will go no deeper than your AT Pro..... People have this thing that the more you pay for a detector the deeper it is ....NOT TRUE.....NOT TRUE.... And NOT TRUE.............

I couldn't agree more. The folks that were in my club are such devoted Minelab users it drove me nuts! I love nothing more than to show them up with my AT Pro whenever I can. Garrett is my brand and I'm completely satisfied with their company and their machines. I've used other machines including Whites, Fisher, Minelab and Bounty Hunter detectors. Tesoro is good as well though. They build a quality detector and have the best warranty in the business. Even with that said, I'll never turn my back on Garrett. They've always taken very good care of me and anyone else I send to them. A true first rate American Company.

H.H.

Al-Fu

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
AlFu said:
Keppy said:

I couldn't agree more. The folks that were in my club are such devoted Minelab users it drove me nuts! I love nothing more than to show them up with my AT Pro whenever I can. Garrett is my brand and I'm completely satisfied with their company and their machines. I've used other machines including Whites, Fisher, Minelab and Bounty Hunter detectors. Tesoro is good as well though. They build a quality detector and have the best warranty in the business. Even with that said, I'll never turn my back on Garrett. They've always taken very good care of me and anyone else I send to them. A true first rate American Company.

H.H.

Al-Fu
Minelab people can drive you crazy..... To them Minelab is like there God ....And don't say any thing wrong about minelab or they are right at your throat .....They are like a religious cult they drive you nuts........... One's that use any other brand do not drive you nuts............. But i love getting those minelab users upset ..... So i keep going after them.... The reason is for i have never seen one's get so mad & upset over there detector as they do....... Like a religious cult...............

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Coil size for coil size, the Etrac will out do the pro in depth. Heck, my cz20 with 8" concentric spanks my pro with the big DD, in air, by all of two inches plus on silver dimes and copper cents. But I think the pro is a bit better for coinshooting in the trash, it handles the iron a lot better than the cz's, in my opinion.

OP
OP
A

AlFu

gleaner1 said:
Coil size for coil size, the Etrac will out do the pro in depth. Heck, my cz20 with 8" concentric spanks my pro with the big DD, in air, by all of two inches plus on silver dimes and copper cents. But I think the pro is a bit better for coinshooting in the trash, it handles the iron a lot better than the cz's, in my opinion.
Sorry to have to tell you but just in case you don't know this, NEVER judge a detector's depth capabilities with air tests. How many coins do you find in mid-air? How many different minerals are in the air for you to contend with? It's all about what a detector can do in the field.
I will say that the AT Pro with the stock coil is almost too sensitive for some situations. I decided to purchase the AT Gold's 5 x 8 DD as my alternate coil for those times when the trash or the mineral content of the ground, is in question. The smaller 5 x 8 doesn't lose much depth if any and is a far better coil for target separation. In my opinion anyway. (worthless from time to time.)
The other factor is human error. How well someone knows their machine as opposed to the next person with theirs, almost always determines who will end up with the most coins at the end of the day. Don't get me wrong, I've been spanked by Minelab users before. Even by people with very few years experience. However, every time it was because they knew how to interpret their machine better than I knew mine at the time. Now, I'm so familiar with my AT Pro and what it can do that I can hold my own. (so to speak :wink:)
Let me just say this as well; The cultists tried every month to convince the other club members to buy nothing but a Minelab. It worked for them and many members went out and bought one. Then, I came along with (at the time) my Garrett Ace 250 and started tearing it up. When the AT Pro came out, I was the second member to get one. After everyone saw what I could do with it, the cultists started losing ground. Quickly too. When the club finally broke up at the end of 2011, AT Pro owners out numbered Minelab owners almost two to one! Enough said.

H.H.

Al-Fu

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
gleaner1 said:
gleaner.............. I hate to say this but i think you are wrong go out in the dirt and find out the truth............

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy said:
gleaner1 said:
gleaner.............. I hate to say this but i think you are wrong go out in the dirt and find out the truth............

Keppy, I gotta work up the bread, then I am shooting F75.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
gleaner1 said:
Keppy said:
gleaner1 said:

Keppy, I gotta work up the bread, then I am shooting F75.
Gleaner F75 that is a good choice........ And priced right to.....

Sailorman

Nov 25, 2011
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy, I can compare the E-Trac to the AT-Pro every hunt, several days a week, since I use both and hunt with a partner who is mighty good with his AT-Pro. Sorry but you're flat wrong on depth. Take both machines, properly set up in the hands of a good operator and the E-Trac will beat it on raw depth and give a better ID on deep targets with similar sized coils.

But I love both my machines and use them for their strengths in the right places. On deep coins, especially silver, the E-Trac has it by three inches or more. We compare the signals of undisturbed targets all the time. In the heavy trash the E-Trac with an X-5 or similar coil is also going to get my vote over my AT-Pro even with the 5x8 coil by just a bit. And believe me, I run in some very bad trash.

Now for relics, modern parks, wet environments or rainy days I like my AT-Pro. I also have to say it's easier to run and I like the tones better but I know which tool works to my advantage and reach for the right one for the job.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sailorman said:
Keppy, I can compare the E-Trac to the AT-Pro every hunt, several days a week, since I use both and hunt with a partner who is mighty good with his AT-Pro. Sorry but you're flat wrong on depth. Take both machines, properly set up in the hands of a good operator and the E-Trac will beat it on raw depth and give a better ID on deep targets with similar sized coils.

But I love both my machines and use them for their strengths in the right places. On deep coins, especially silver, the E-Trac has it by three inches or more. We compare the signals of undisturbed targets all the time. In the heavy trash the E-Trac with an X-5 or similar coil is also going to get my vote over my AT-Pro even with the 5x8 coil by just a bit. And believe me, I run in some very bad trash.

Now for relics, modern parks, wet environments or rainy days I like my AT-Pro. I also have to say it's easier to run and I like the tones better but I know which tool works to my advantage and reach for the right one for the job.
Sailorman..& ..gleaner ........ Could be that you 2 are right ... I have been useing Garretts for about 30 years................. I never did find the newer models like my 1500 & At Pro to be deep detectors.... I think the only deep detectors that garrett has out now is there PI detectors and the GTI2500..........

Sailorman

Nov 25, 2011
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I've hit a small lead sinker at 11" but that was pretty mild ground. It will hit coins in good ground to 9" or 10" if I'm on top of listening to it.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont forget how good the AT hits on gold. :icon_thumleft: :icon_pirat: :icon_thumright:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
AlFu nice hit. The next time you are out with your Etrac buddy, check out each other's signals for a while, maybe fifty targets, deeper ones 4+ inches. See if you can run with the wolves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread