AT PRO finally hits silver....first of the year and a first for me.

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT PRO finally hits silver....first of the year and a first for me. Photo added. :)

Been hunting my rear end off on my days off. My brother Coinstriking and I hunt a patch of woods that has given up near 40 silver coins just this year. Also gives up buffalo,V's,war nickels. Indian heads, wheat cents. Tokens, all sorts of stuff.

My finds for the year thus far have been meager. A few wheat cents, a token, assorted junk along with about 100 shotgun shell bases.

This area has given up 3 silver halves, 2 bens and a walker. 2 silver quarters before today, Washington and standing liberty. 30+ silver dimes and only one was a rosie.

I started the year with a T2, moved on to an omega 8000 and now use an AT pro. I was getting frustrated by my lack of finds. I found a neat copper arrow/spear point last time out but that was it.

Today we hit a patch of woods we have hit before and I got a nice smooth quarter signal at 4 inches. I called my brother over to run his coinstrike over the signal as we often do to compare results and he told me it was a silver quarter. I dug down and sure enough a silver quarter, I was thinking sweet a washington....which would be a helluva find for me since I was at zero silver coins.

Turned out to be a real nice 1909 barber quarter. I about crapped. Sure a barber quarter is not a huge monumental find, but for my first silver, been detecting since april, I am happy :)

I would like to take a lower frequency machine through this area, the Omega would have shined I am guessing. But oh well, I might order me another one next year.

I will post a pic of the quarter along with a few other things I found when i get back to my brothers place. He has a camera.

314297_516035921745073_1953254674_n.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bobby5

Jun 19, 2012
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, AT Pro, Garrett Propointer, Garrett Carrot, Several Older Garrett Detectors and a Bounty Hunter.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Story, I cant wait to find my first silver coin, I would think the AT Pro would be a Killer on Silver.

IWillFindTheGold

Nov 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Congratulations on your first silver. There's more out there, good luck on the next hunt.

OP
OP
ryaan21

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks fellas. The pressure is off now. Was getting depressed not finding any silver, but if this is the only one I find, I will be happy with it.

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, how do you like the Atpro vs the other machines you had? Thanks AC

greengold

Aug 9, 2012
Whidbey Island
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV...saving my clad for a Tesoro SandShark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am also looking into the AtPro, how ya like it so far?

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first silver! WTG!

HH,
Anita

OP
OP
ryaan21

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again gang.

The AT pro when over a coin sings out smooth as silk. Problem is, it does it over bottle caps as well. I can tell about 90% of the time NOW that it is a cap, but the supposed iron audio feature, in our soil is about useless. Caps in our soil, with a little learning "break" and jump multiple digits. I only use the digital readout for depth unless I get a sweet high tone or a Nickel signal.

Would I buy an AT pro knowing what I know now? No.

I gave up on the T2 and the Omega 8000 way to soon. I was in a rush, and since I was a Garrett user from way back I jumped on the at pro. It is not a bad machine, but it is not for me in this soil.

I cannot get it to GB lower than 90, not sure if that might be affecting the performance, but it seems weird.

Lemme know of anyone else has any idea about the ground balance numbers.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a pic of the Barber Quarter found today. 002.JPG

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey, that's a great find any day. congrats!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great coin to get the silver fever started, congrats!

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool.got to love silver. I would like to see a pic of that coper arrow head. If u have time

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first silver and barber quarter. Still looking for my first barber quarter.

Happy Hunting.

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you definitely gave up much too quickly on the T2.
I have the T2 SE...it is a very sensitive detector and it takes some time
to learn it. I usually average in the low 80's for my ground balance.
I'm not dis'in the AT, because I think that is a good machine too.
Give it some time to learn and the treasure will come.
Nice silver by the way!!

Joe

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a 100+er:hello2:

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver. I just got an At Pro and love it but no silver yet with it.

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ryaan21 said:
Thanks again gang.

The AT pro when over a coin sings out smooth as silk. Problem is, it does it over bottle caps as well. I can tell about 90% of the time NOW that it is a cap, but the supposed iron audio feature, in our soil is about useless. Caps in our soil, with a little learning "break" and jump multiple digits. I only use the digital readout for depth unless I get a sweet high tone or a Nickel signal.

Would I buy an AT pro knowing what I know now? No.

I gave up on the T2 and the Omega 8000 way to soon. I was in a rush, and since I was a Garrett user from way back I jumped on the at pro. It is not a bad machine, but it is not for me in this soil.

I cannot get it to GB lower than 90, not sure if that might be affecting the performance, but it seems weird.

Lemme know of anyone else has any idea about the ground balance numbers.

I usually have high 80s ground balanced to the iron rich Georgia clay. I'll ground balance during a hunt every now and again just to check as I can clearly see a difference when it's off by five to ten points. Dry sand on Carolina beaches it'll go down to between 20 and 40. Wet sand and the surf on those same beaches was between 12-20 and it was a little off at those numbers with the occasional false signal there. I've got a friend that hunts with it and never gb's it. Just turns it on and swings but I feel for sure I get better performance out of it by checking it once in a while.

Either way it's been a great detector for the price and I couldn't be happier with it. I agree on the pop tops though. Especially at the beach. Depending on their level of crustiness the at pro likes to think they are quarters and the iron audio doesn't always make it clear. I've dug quarters on the beach that I swore would be trash pop tops and I only dug because I wasn't finding much else.

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, I love my AT Pro. Found me silver in spots that have been hit by others, as well as myself (using my BH) and my friend and his 250.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread