Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live out in Northern Nevada just a stones throw from abandoned mining claims all over the place. I'm going out this Sunday to a claim I got permission to detect on and I was wondering what the best set up for my AT Pro would be to find nuggets. Has anyone here found them with the Pro, and if so what kind of settings did you have it on? What kind of reading did your machine give? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Get some small gold sample targets (1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 grains in size) - Attach/glue them to a poker chip or a paper card - one for each target. If you can detect any of these in air tests, then try them on the ground in the soils you plan to hunt. If you can find the targets there, then you will have figured out what settings work and what your smallest target gold sizes will be. If you can't find any of them - then you need a different detector to gold prospect with.

Last edited:

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use the smallest coil you have. Set for zero discrimination and dig all targets. Set the sensitivity as high as you can while having a relatively stable machine (minimal false signals - but maybe just a few). Check your ground balance often. Main trick, put it where the is some gold! Be patient, go slow, have fun, good luck!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions