AT PRO frequency shift and the depth meter

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone notice (at least in pro mode) that when you scroll through the frequency shift settings. F1-F4 that the depth meter changes between 4 and 6 inches. I looked in my user manual and it mentions nothing about this.

Anybody have any idea what this is caused by and if it means anything?

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Could you elaborate on this? Do you mean that detecting an item at one frequency it shows 4", at another frequency 6"? In my soils at least, depth never reads very accurately or consistently.

I went out into the county last weekend and ran my coil over a freshly plowed field. The detector behaved vastly different than the way it does in the city. It was calm and reasonably accurate.

In the city it acts as if it has ADHD.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too noticed this and thought it was just the way it works when you change the Freq shift. It doesn't change the depth reading when you hit a target.

Slugrusher

Using mine for the second time. I found the depth indicator to not be very accurate. And since I am new to this I would prefer not to pay much attention to the depth. Just dig when it's a solid hit in two directions. I read about the FS but haven't done it as of yet.

worthy

Dec 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro , whites pi , garrett ace 250, c-scope ib
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also never use depth meter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread