At pro ground balance question?

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First do a factory reset on the machine.....also check what the machine balances at manually....let us know.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check GB again with fresh batteries like when it was new in the same place you tested before. Remember ground GB can change within feet. No need to wrap ATP around a tree yet.

OP
OP
S

steveo40

May 10, 2014
Thank you for all the suggestions. I do a factory reset at ev ery coil change and nothing seems to change. I do run a coil cover and I just cleaned and still 88-89. When the pro was new, every place I hunted was in the 81-83 gb range, now every place I hunt is 88-89. I live in northeast Indiana and do hunt alot of the same ground over and over because most of my hunts are 1 hour short hunts after work. My reason for questioning the gb is when my pro was 2 months old I found a nice 1887 seated dime that was 10 inches deep and gave very nice soft high tone. It was no doubt a signal everyone would dig. Now I am digging signals that are not good at all. They are weak with low tones mixed in with not repeating high tones. I am digging these not good 8 inches deep signals and still finding coins, the last being a 1904 barber dime. I know that the coins position in the ground can cause this but was wanting to know if anyone has experienced the ground balance change. Thank you

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ground water satuation changes mine in different darker soils.

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Temperature, weather conditions and ground condition changes in various seasons effect ground balance. All factors play a roll and for the most part you will GB around the same numbers but they will fluctuate. There are advantages and disadvantages to manually adjusting your GB and you may want to look into those for compensating in your search techniques. I rarely adjust my GB beyond what the machine sets. I do however do GB often in the fields, about every 10-15 minutes. Don't know if it necessary or not but it gives me peace of mind.
I myself was wondering about my AT and GB but I feel it is fine and all I have to do is be patient and run my coil over those deep targets. They are there! I just know sometimes I pop out a large at 11 inches at areas I have already been over. Different coils make a difference too. I use the Garrett 5x8, 8x11 and the NEL Big 15x17 coils. All are great and for different situations. They also all GB at different numbers but as long as they are stable I just chug on.

Last edited:

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Dues, AT Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate to ask, but how do I "reset" my Pro?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides smashing it into a tree is to hold the power on button till it beeps. This will reset it.

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All, I have been using the pro for a year and half and I like it a lot. When I first got my machine it would gb at 82-83 in my favorite hunting spot. Now in the very same area it will gb 88-89. Is this normal? Should I have any cause for concern? Thanks Steve

I hate to ask, but how do I "reset" my Pro?

There is two ways to perform a factory reset on your AT Pro. Most people tend to do a factory reset while the machine is still on. To perform a true factory reset, the machine needs to be off before you hold down the power button until it beeps to perform the reset.

I had two incidents in the last year and a half when my AT Pro was going nuts and would not clear up with a factory reset while the machine is on. When I shut down the machine and then performed the reset while the machine was off, my machine started running quiet again.

Now, I perform a factory reset before every hunt. After the factory reset, I change to the Pro Zero mode, bump the sensitivity up to full, no ground balance and GO! The AT Pro will scan as deep as it can set like this.

Before you ground balance, make a few swings over the ground or sand first to see if the AT Pro will run quiet. The purpose of the ground balance function is to cancel out the magnetic particles (iron) and grains of iron in the soil or sand to make your detecting experience more enjoyable. Whenever you cancel out anything whether using the ground balance or using the discrimination you lose overall depth.

If you don't need to ground balance ... Don't!

OP
OP
S

steveo40

May 10, 2014
I compared the gb on my pro to my son's pro and they are identical. So machine is fine

OP
OP
S

steveo40

May 10, 2014
There is two ways to perform a factory reset on your AT Pro. Most people tend to do a factory reset while the machine is still on. To perform a true factory reset, the machine needs to be off before you hold down the power button until it beeps to perform the reset.

I had two incidents in the last year and a half when my AT Pro was going nuts and would not clear up with a factory reset while the machine is on. When I shut down the machine and then performed the reset while the machine was off, my machine started running quiet again.

Now, I perform a factory reset before every hunt. After the factory reset, I change to the Pro Zero mode, bump the sensitivity up to full, no ground balance and GO! The AT Pro will scan as deep as it can set like this.

Before you ground balance, make a few swings over the ground or sand first to see if the AT Pro will run quiet. The purpose of the ground balance function is to cancel out the magnetic particles (iron) and grains of iron in the soil or sand to make your detecting experience more enjoyable. Whenever you cancel out anything whether using the ground balance or using the discrimination you lose overall depth.

If you don't need to ground balance ... Don't!

Thanks for the great information, this is why I think Tnet is great. When you do a factory reset from off, where is your coil in relationship to the ground? Thank you

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great information, this is why I think Tnet is great. When you do a factory reset from off, where is your coil in relationship to the ground? Thank you

Hi steveo40 ... it makes no difference where your coil is positioned when you do a factory reset. If you coil is sitting on a metal object it will sound off imediately after the beep, if not, it will be quiet.

After the factory reset, the machine will be in Standard Coin Mode, a couple of notches are Notched Out, and the sensitivity will be down a couple bars from Full Sensitivity. I change everything to run wide open in Pro Zero.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions