AT Pro ground balance to high??

spiral

Greenie
Feb 23, 2010
Tn
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/TEKNETICS OMEGA
Just got a new AT Pro so I took it for a quick spin in the yard.My ground balance was 80/81 and on the same ground my Omega is 55/56.Shouldn't they ground balance around the same if its the same ground? :dontknow:.I'm in northeast Tn and I just don't think the ground is that hot.Seem like I had a little bit of falseing to and the sensitivity did not make a difference or the freq....Opinions??

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
Those numbers are Machine Specific. They are only for Referance.

You'll find the TDI numbers are not the same too, I bet.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My AT Pro Has been ground ballancing Any where from 80 to 93 here in the south west USA.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
homefires said:
Those numbers are Machine Specific. They are only for Referance.

You'll find the TDI numbers are not the same too, I bet.

There is a difference between the detectors, the main thing is they are ground balanced. We also have to remember that detectors that might be very silent or stable could really be "dumbed down." Sorta like the slow brother in law. :laughing7:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....pant en laws prevent them from using the same... just like now Garrett got a vdi "white's Paten must of ran out."...On the at pro they start the numbers different than white's ..but now garret offers iron id on the at pro the first ever on a garret.... now it grunt on iron like a white's... white's is so far a head of the competition it's pathetic....the competition uses all white's trough backs......

JG

Nov 15, 2006
Liftloop, if through (?) backs are being used, why does Whites still use them?

I see other brands with ID numbers and have had them for years. I am pretty sure that Whites was not the first to offer a digital ID scheme.

When you are getting zero and minus numbers on your MXT VDI and passing by nuggets, the AT PRO is giving much better information in an expanded iron range. If they are going to keep up, they need to deliver the expanded iron range.

I have an MXT and the AT PRO is far more sensitive to smaller gold and also gives a good indication from ID of 35 and up. The MXT zero-crossing iron ID is not all that it is cracked up to be. It is great on big nuggets but they are far and few. There are more smaller nuggets in population compared to a few big ones ¼ oz and up. Why swing when you can’t hear the bling?

The best use of the ID is of course an indication of what is buried, next is the stability of an ID and how narrow a range is seen on sweeps. Repeatability in audio and ID makes TH’ing easy. The AT PRO has a unique audio that tells much about the target. The MXT is a one-dimensional tone and you become much more reliant on the VDI, a bad habit IMHO.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Post JG. :headbang: :notworthy: :hello2:

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Whites Numeric TID detectors go back to the 80s but am not sure about the Garretts.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was watching you tube and that so called iron audio didn't work...LOL the at pro made a guy dig an old chunk of rusty iron...lol...people will believe any thing.... and as far as imaging goes white's detectors tell you the size if it's a big item or small or a..button or a buckle...and when you did your comparison did the MXT have a dd coil and the same size coil.....like what's on the at pro...

JG

Nov 15, 2006
LOL, LOL, LOL :laughing7:

I have the big oval by whites that is a DD. It weighs a ton if you go all day and I made a strap to haul it around all day. Joke all you want about the AT PRO but I am not the only one who boasts of its superior performance in ID’ing bottle caps alone.

What do I need a -95 in iron ID and the ID wrap-around for? You have no feedback for IRON rejection level except a knob. I have a zero to 40 iron range. The small gold comes in at 35 sometimes and ranges up to 40+ on my AT PRO. There is no guessing about the target and thinking it is iron on the AT PRO. The MXT is a great machine but if you look for numbers like a 25 or better to dig gold, you passed up a fortune of little nuggets. You should try an AT PRO because the subtleties of the audio are not hard to learn and are very productive. Anyone with an AT PRO can be an ace on avoiding bottle caps by just pumping the coil ever-so-lightly on one and looking at the numbers. It takes a bit to learn the language but raspy audio is a clue on foil and bottle caps; retest at lower sensitivity if needed on foil or raise the coil. Iron audio is a push of a button with the swinging hand. If the thing only ID’d bottle caps it would be superior, but it is much more.

The new coil geometry of Garrett’s new DD is more than another pretty coil. When you dig on signals with the MXT that are good numbers clear up to your shoulder and do not ID as the iron it is until a Sunray probe or hotfoot coil is on it, you begin to wonder. Then you are out there not digging iffy signals because the machine with a -95 iron range has you at a loss. Big and I mean multi-ounce nuggets have been passed over because the ID did not read good. One big potato was negative numbers. It was over a troy pound! Keep the MXT for coins, because much gold has been passed up because the numbers were not there.

When your equipment fools you, you catch on real fast to another machine that performs with repeatability. The big nuggets are impressive and the MXT has scored many but you rarely see anyone in camp with small nuggets below 1/8 oz unless it was near the surface. Do you really think the small gold does not exist? There is more small gold than there is big gold. If you can find the small ones the big ones take care of themselves. Why swing when you cannot hear the bling?

It is okay if you do not like the AT PRO. It outperforms my MXT with one coil and I have four for my MXT.

I do not need SAT or auto ground balance if it makes the targets hard to find... I do not have to put a baggie on it when it rains or dry out the display when water rain invades (that alone has shut down TH’rs because they are totally dependent on their display while the AT PRO is all about the audio). I don’t have to reseat the plugs on the board or the IC’s when the connections get funky. I don’t need three times the batteries or their weight. I don’t need an in-line probe. All I need with the AT PRO is the small sniper coil and I am good with it all for less than the cost of a MXT. LOL!

There is nothing wrong being proud of what you own or liking it. Correctly identifying iron and adjacent target separation is where it is at for me. The MXT is a fast responding machine. A dealer sold me one when he said he had 25 machines in stock. After he processed my credit card he called me back and said he had a used one and a refurbished one for me to choose from. The refurb did not last three hours before I had to ship it in. I paid full price for it and since then I have had quite an education on what is good and what is better. The AT PRO and my new dealer are way better. White’s policy of letting dealers sell refurbs at any price is BS. Cancel any order from a dealer who delays or tells you after they run your card there is a change of delivery poblem. Do not get suckered into pre-release sales of new machines even if they give you a bag of bribes. If they don’t have what you want, wait until they do or find another dealer NOW! Compared to the AT PRO my MXT sucks hind teat in more ways I can tell you.

Garrett is a very ethical company to do business with. My new dealer would not ship what he himself was waiting for, nor would he ask for my card until I could order from him...NO PRE-ORDERING OF ANY MACHINE or SALES OF PRODUCTS NOT IN HIS INVENTORY.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JG, you the Man. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :notworthy:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as far as dept goes... i would love to see that at pro.. out dept my 5900.. fat chance on that one..seem to me the at pro is cheaply made..no came locks out dated visual screen they read out is like a prizim 5 there notch discrimination.. all bet you will still dig iron with the at pro...even with that iron tone audio roll...is activated and i bet... the at pro is not accuret on the read out at great dept like other detector....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are probably a lot of detectors out there that might be deeper than the AT Pro, but depth is not everything. I have pulled up gold rings from 16" in the sand with the Sov GT with standard coil but I don't know if that is the deepest on something that size or conductivity. Your White's weigh a ton and look like a tissue box on a stick. :laughing7: At least they aren't painted pink. The Garrett is water proof while guys are still reporting their Beach Hunters are leaking. Though this could also be because the O ring is deformed. The point is each model detector excels at certain things and not at another. That is why we need a lot of them... :laughing7:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
There are probably a lot of detectors out there that might be deeper than the AT Pro, but depth is not everything. I have pulled up gold rings from 16" in the sand with the Sov GT with standard coil but I don't know if that is the deepest on something that size or conductivity. Your White's weigh a ton and look like a tissue box on a stick. :laughing7: At least they aren't painted pink. The Garrett is water proof while guys are still reporting their Beach Hunters are leaking. Though this could also be because the O ring is deformed. The point is each model detector excels at certain things and not at another. That is why we need a lot of them... :laughing7:
and the coils float and the o ring yea..yea..yea..sandiest of man... you sound like a broke record...but if there's a treasure chest full of gold at 4 feet just think.. none of your detectors will ever find it..but the 5900 6000 and the sierra madre will let you know some than there...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
liftloop said:
Sandman said:
and the coils float and the o ring yea..yea..yea..sandiest of man... you sound like a broke record...but if there's a treasure chest full of gold at 4 feet just think.. none of your detectors will ever find it..but the 5900 6000 and the sierra madre will let you know some than there...
:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
"Littleloop", you sound like a White's commercial, that story is getting old. You should ask for more pay. I guess finding anchors, 55 gal. drum barrels or naval ordinance is something you like to dig at 4 foot too but yeah, you don't dive or beach hunt. I got tired of all that deep digging and that is why I don't swing a PI anymore. If it is much deeper than 2 foot, it can stay there for some kid with more muscle's than brains.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me ...digging in lose sand all my life would have to be the easiest way to detect,, I bet you don't even get a callas... sure the find mite be great, but if any buddy was to complained a bout digging deep in lose sand... should stay home..lose sand..schhees.... what if there was a treasure chest buried their about 4to5 foot deep and every buddy is walking over... it until a 5900 Di pro with a 15 inch coil and the salt switch forward comes along...diamonds and pearls....every one...that's what would happen....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
liftloop said:
To me ...digging in lose sand all my life would have to be the easiest way to detect,, I bet you don't even get a callas... sure the find mite be great, but if any buddy was to complained a bout digging deep in lose sand... should stay home..lose sand..schhees.... what if there was a treasure chest buried their about 4to5 foot deep and every buddy is walking over... it until a 5900 Di pro with a 15 inch coil and the salt switch forward comes along...diamonds and pearls....every one...that's what would happen....
Not all the sand in the water is soft. Most of it has lots of shells and rocks, but either way most of us just want to have fun, so spending lots of time digging for the chance of finding a treasure chest :laughing7: :laughing7: wastes alot of time that could better be spent covering the ground to play the percentages. Sure I got caluses when I was young, but I hopefully am wiser. Besides I wear gloves most times. Sure Some White's are nice, but don't limit your fun to looking for the deepest targets. With the 5900 you can't tell if the target is shallow or 4 ft.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
spiral962 said:
Just got a new AT Pro so I took it for a quick spin in the yard.My ground balance was 80/81 and on the same ground my Omega is 55/56.Shouldn't they ground balance around the same if its the same ground? :dontknow:.I'm in northeast Tn and I just don't think the ground is that hot.Seem like I had a little bit of falseing to and the sensitivity did not make a difference or the freq....Opinions??

Simply speaking, GB can't be too high, it would be wrong. Nor should it be too low, that too would be wrong. It has to be just right, you know, balanced, for max effectiveness. Just ground balance and be done with it. No high, now low, just balanced. Giving GB settings a number is just a convenience to get back to the GB range quickly when going from site to site. But you should be able to GB in a couple seconds anyway and certainly numbers are not needed. Some like to tweak GB up or down a bit, for reasons beyond the scope of your very good question. Re-adjust at your leisure or just to get an idea of how stable your areas are, ground-wise. Don't waste one second looking at or caring about the ground balance number unless you are doing a scientific statistical analysis of the ground mineralization (iron) variations in your area. Let it go man, let the digital numbers crap go. Ground balance numbers are not standardized within the metal detecting industry and even if they were, nobody would care. Just be happy the unit is ground balanced. As far as falsing, are you absolutely sure it's falsing? I mean, what exactly do you mean by falsing? Can you give a bit more info on your falsing symptoms, more info is needed to comment on that. Are you banging the coil against trees and rocks? You will get falsing from close prox to high voltage sources. Another way to get falsing is poor ground balance, especially running at the upper end of the sens range, or in all-metal mode, or both. I find that on a lot of machines, all-metal mode is more stable than scrim modes at high sens settings, but the GB must be very close. In mild soils, in scrim mode, you can be a bit off from true GB, but lose essentially no depth. In this respect, GB is enigmatic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions