AT PRO in Black Wet Sand - Whats the Problem?

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT PRO in Black Wet Sand - What's the Problem?

-
I went back again early this morning to the Belmont Shore area Long Beach, CA. They are renovating two of the beach parking lots. I MD a couple of small areas where they tore up the asphalt in the center of the lot and only found a 1946 Wheat, and a key. I believe that parking lot was originally made in the 50's and was hoping for some silver. If only they tore the whole parking lot up. When the parking lot workers showed up, I moved on to the beach toward the water.

Below is a photo of the hole in the parking lot where I found the Wheat & Old Key, you can also see Catalina Island in the background.

Parking Lot.jpg

Long Beach has several pockets of Black Wet Sand, and with all the chatter on TNet about how the AT Pro is no good in Saltwater, Saltwater Wet Sand, let alone Saltwater Black Wet Sand, I decided to take note on the settings I use for the AT Pro when in areas of Wet Black Sand, either in or out of the Saltwater.

In Dry Beach Sand I normally do an Auto Ground Balance which usually reads between 91-93 and that is fine. When I worked my way down to the pockets of Black Wet Sand and Auto Ground Balance, it read a 62, and depending on the sound of the Iron, I may manually knock the Ground Balance down an additional 8 or 10. I keep the Sensitivity cranked all the way up in most cases, but sometimes I will knock it down one or two notches when I'm in the saltwater with the heavy minerals. I set the Discrimination at 40 or even 50 with the lowest two notched out (that helps with the thicker pockets of Black Sand). You will always hear a very faint iron sound in the background, but high tone signals come in loud and clear.

In that black patch of Black Wet Sand in the photo below, I had 62 on Ground Balance from just using the Auto Mode, full Sensitivity, and 40 on the Discrimination. I made a couple of passes and only found a couple of pull-tabs and they came in loud and clear with a faint iron sound in the background. Almost like if you have the Iron Audio on.

So the Bottom Line is:
All you "AT Haters" out there :) which I believe are just Garrett haters in general. Maybe you should be Hating on the Lack of Experience, and not on the Machine itself. Granted, a good PI Machine will go deeper, but for an All Terrain Machine, how can you beat the User Friendly AT Pro on Price, Features & Effectiveness??

KIMG0051.JPG -- KIMG0049.JPG -- KIMG0048.JPG

Two More Interesting Finds Today:

I scanned the side of this big pile of sand and found a Disc Brake Rotor. I also had a good hit on something in wet sand, I scooped, and scooped, and scooped with sand flying. Then I scanned the hole and no sound, so I scanned the area of my flying sand, and noise was everywhere. Come to find out, there was a package of wire end connectors down there and I scattered them about.

Thanks for Swinging By ... Enjoy your Hunt this Weekend

KIMG0052.JPG -- KIMG0050.JPG

Last edited:

jackedliberty

Oct 5, 2013
Hagerstown, MD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would've loved to see your attachments, though I can't for whatever reason.

But I think you're right. It's all about knowing how to make the best out of your machine in every situation. Granted, I don't have much room to talk since I don't even have a MD yet (haven't MD'ed since I was young), but I've done my homework enough to make educated judgments. I will have my ATP soon enough. Hell, I just went to this metal detecting store for the very first time the other day -- the guy is an authorized White's reseller who sells detectors out of his house, moreless. Even though he swears by White's, he couldn't deny that the ATP has a good bang for its buck when I brought it up in discussion. And he even said it's all about knowing how to use your machine. When we talked about detecting on the beach, he told me ground balance and sensitivity kinda go hand-in-hand.

So bottom line, you're right, there's no problem with the ATP in that environment. It's all about knowing how to use it. Of course there are going to be detectors better suited for the beach, but that's a whole nother breed.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not going to bash the AT PRO just saying there are other detectors out there that are older and match the depth and use of the AT PRO For example the CZ 6a would do everything the AT PRO does Way way cheaper when you can find them. But that's the trick.

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
I am not going to bash the AT PRO just saying there are other detectors out there that are older and match the depth and use of the AT PRO For example the CZ 6a would do everything the AT PRO does Way way cheaper when you can find them. But that's the trick.

Sandman! ... Sandman! ... Sandman! ... Are you talkng about this relic? The control panel looks like something off a 50's ham radio.

Does it have tubes instead of transistors and diodes? :)

images.jpg

How are you feeling buddy??

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Welcome back Sandman!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back Sandman!

It is a little difficult posting from a iPhone, but I'll try. I'm feeling well just have to get the legs moving in the right directions.

Qlipphotic

Jan 19, 2014
San Pedro (Los Angeles)
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
SoCal,

I know exactly where you went in Long Beach, I'm your neighbor right across the bridge in San Pedro :).

Right now I'm running an ACE 250 which does alright for coin shooting and cleaning up trash. It LOVES trash and rusty iron. Seems to be the things it loves the most.

I'm wanting to upgrade to the AT Pro, I just am wondering how much of a step up it is from the 250? Is the stock coil good enough for all terrain including water? Or would I need to replace the coil?

I went to Huntington Beach this morning with my Ace 250, did TERRIBLY. People were basically following in my footsteps pulling up all kinds of fun stuff whereas I got all the iron and trash. I do know how to use my detector and I love it, but I think I need a better one as I've had the 250 for a couple years now and I'd like to find more and better.

Anyway, any advice you could give for the AT Pro would be wonderful.

Thanks!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm an ATP owner, and yes they do work in the wet salt. They are just not as efficient as a multi frequency machine or a PI. You will definitely find targets, but the others will usually hit at double the depth or more than you can attain with a single frequency machine. It isn't just the ATP, it's any single frequency VLF detector. This is why I have all three types of detectors, different ones for different situations. Keep up the good work cleaning out the pull tabs, making it easier for the Minelab boys to find the deep gold. Seriously though, the main thing is to enjoy what you're doing, and if you feel good about it you're doing OK.

Qlipphotic

Jan 19, 2014
San Pedro (Los Angeles)
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
In the wet sand, and even in the dry sand, what's the depth that you find yourself digging to to find deep gold? Or how deep will you go before it's just not worth it? I honestly love being out there scooping sand, I'm listening to an audio book in one ear, getting exercise, and working on my tan all in one! :)

I've been thinking about getting a PI detector actually, I want to get a reasonably priced one that works rather well. And is the detection all sound based? Sorry, I have a million questions :)

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm an ATP owner, and yes they do work in the wet salt. They are just not as efficient as a multi frequency machine or a PI. You will definitely find targets, but the others will usually hit at double the depth or more than you can attain with a single frequency machine. It isn't just the ATP, it's any single frequency VLF detector. This is why I have all three types of detectors, different ones for different situations. Keep up the good work cleaning out the pull tabs, making it easier for the Minelab boys to find the deep gold. Seriously though, the main thing is to enjoy what you're doing, and if you feel good about it you're doing OK.

In the wet sand, and even in the dry sand, what's the depth that you find yourself digging to to find deep gold? Or how deep will you go before it's just not worth it? I honestly love being out there scooping sand, I'm listening to an audio book in one ear, getting exercise, and working on my tan all in one! :)

I've been thinking about getting a PI detector actually, I want to get a reasonably priced one that works rather well. And is the detection all sound based? Sorry, I have a million questions :)

Hi Guys ... I've come a long ways since I posted this thread. I no longer even try to use the AT Pro in wet highly mineralized saltwater or wet sand, I now have an ATX for that.

I found by having such a low ground balance (62 at Long BeacH) to detect mineralized saltwater or wet sand, you loose a ton of depth. I refused to lower the sensitivity because that would kill even more depth, and I got tired of that constant iron sound that you hear in mineralized wet sand. In a wet mineralized condition, you are lucky to get 4-5 inches with the AT Pro after the machine is de-tuned to run in it.

In dry sand, I always run the AT Pro wide open in Pro Zero mode without even a ground balance. I have found this absolutely the only way to fully utilize the full power of the machine.

Qlipphotic,

I did a comparison depth test in dry sand with my AT Pro & ATX with a small gold band and silver quarter when I first got my ATX.

You can see the post here. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/beach-shallow-water/389591-atx-finds-silver-first-time-out-pro-vs-atx-gold-silver.html

I'm not familiar with what features your ACE 250 has, so I can't comment on that over the AT Pro. I have always used the stock 8.5 x 11 coil on the AT Pro and never felt I needed to change coils. Some people rave about the 5 x 8 coil, but I get excellent target separation with the larger coil in the trashiest areas, and never felt that I missed any targets.

I know what you mean about digging deep. I have already given up on some items after digging 15" with my ATX. I have a new scoop due to arrive tomorrow to help dig deeper easier or I may need to start bringing a shovel :)

Good Luck to Us All :)

Last edited:

Qlipphotic

Jan 19, 2014
San Pedro (Los Angeles)
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Thanks man, that actually helped a lot a lot :). And an ATX....I wish. That looks like an absolutely beautiful piece of machinery.

I'm actually headed to that Long Beach area tomorrow, there's a dog park next door so I let the dog loose and detect for awhile. Have you had luck in the sand there or just the asphalty area?

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks man, that actually helped a lot a lot :). And an ATX....I wish. That looks like an absolutely beautiful piece of machinery.

I'm actually headed to that Long Beach area tomorrow, there's a dog park next door so I let the dog loose and detect for awhile. Have you had luck in the sand there or just the asphalty area?

Hi Qlipphotic,

I hope you clean the blood off you face before you go to the Dog Beach tomorrow, the dogs will think your lunch :)

I've scanned the Long Beach Dog Beach several times and never found anything of value. I did find some clad, dog tags, a wallet laying on the surface one morning that I gave to a Lifeguard Truck that came by. I was expecting to find jewerly, especially rings with people throwing balls for their dogs. I even lost a ring throwing a ball for my dog years ago, so my expections were killed at the dog beach. Even Huntington Dog Beach, many times, no quality jewerly. I have luck usually where I least expect it in dry sand. Except for old silver coins. I have four areas that I work for old silver.

I bring my dog hunting with me everytime I go out. I usually hunt between 5:30AM-8:30AM, every beach is a Dog Beach very early in the morning :)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread