At Pro kicks butt at boat ramp

dunnellondave

Oct 1, 2013
This should help clear things up. Swinging on state land is one thing but digging it out or removing it is another. And anything over 50 years old up to the high tide mark is also against the the law but obviously not enforced in the metal detecting world. I'm pretty familiar with Fl. State laws, they are very strict on is arrowhead hunters.

Federation of Metal Detector & Archaeological Clubs Inc.
http://www.fmdac.org/parks/parks.htm

And this is not a City or State park it is a County run park but they lease the water from the state, which in reality means it would be against the law to remove anything over 50 years old up to 100 year flood plain mark.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ty dunnelldave, but the Fmdac rules and regs I am familiar with, but this is a case of hunting/cleaning a boat ramp, current items, not antiquities.

Most rangers, and park superintendents understand what I am offering and appreciate what I do for them, esp when I return and show them a bag of hooks, sharp trash, rusted metals or shredded aluim, as I said this is beach work, dry sand from the high tide line to the base of the dune line, even though most do not say anything if I venture into the water.

This is a quote from a conversation I had with a park Ranger, "The law states no disturbance of the soil or flora, but what's the use of detecting if you can't remove what you find. So we really tend to watch and as long as your holes are small and you cleanup the area after you dig we allow it, now that doesn't mean bring a big shovel in here and expect us to not say something either".

I understand Dave was working a boat ramp, big difference. I was trying to assist him with some ammunition to use so that he could continue hunting in the areas he desired. I only questioned his statement, "State parks are strictly off limits in Fl", as that is in error, it is only with permission from the park superintendent.

dunnellondave

Oct 1, 2013
Ty dunnelldave, but the Fmdac rules and regs I am familiar with, but this is a case of hunting/cleaning a boat ramp, current items, not antiquities.

Most rangers, and park superintendents understand what I am offering and appreciate what I do for them, esp when I return and show them a bag of hooks, sharp trash, rusted metals or shredded aluim, as I said this is beach work, dry sand from the high tide line to the base of the dune line, even though most do not say anything if I venture into the water.

This is a quote from a conversation I had with a park Ranger, "The law states no disturbance of the soil or flora, but what's the use of detecting if you can't remove what you find. So we really tend to watch and as long as your holes are small and you cleanup the area after you dig we allow it, now that doesn't mean bring a big shovel in here and expect us to not say something either".

I understand Dave was working a boat ramp, big difference. I was trying to assist him with some ammunition to use so that he could continue hunting in the areas he desired. I only questioned his statement, "State parks are strictly off limits in Fl", as that is in error, it is only with permission from the park superintendent.

Ok lets try this one more time. I used to work for the state. I was fired because of such laws. I know them well as you can imagine after a 3 year battle with the state. The law doesn't state with permission to all lands, it states BEACH lands. The only way you can LEGALLY do otherwise is BY PERMIT. And no I was not asked to leave becausr of antiquity laws, for disturbing the flora etc....I was asked to leave by the park superintendent because he was worried about the liability of me being in the water with boats nearby. As stated before it was explained by him to the FWC officer, and then to me by the same officer I could detect anywhere else I wanted. That doesn't sound like something he is going to change his minf over. Liability vs. Me picking up trash. Like I said, I used to work for the state and I understand how and why they operate the way they do. The dept I worked for was, of course, the Parks dept.

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I thinks are made just so people dont have to deal with issue's. Off the subject, my city has a law against commercial vehicles being parked in your driveway. I had a F750 service truck I used to bring home and park, I got stopped one night and the officer told me about it and I asked him how I am suppose to do my job without it? He grinned and told me that if nobody complains about it then they won't go looking for it. So as long as my neighbors didn't have an issue I was ok. So gift cards for them from me! So back to the point if nobody complains about what your doing then chances are nobody will bother you. We all enjoy our hobbies its people that leave trash behind that makes our harder.

dunnellondave

Oct 1, 2013
Ok lets try this one more time. I used to work for the state. I was fired because of such laws. I know them well as you can imagine after a 3 year battle with the state. The law doesn't state with permission to all lands, it states BEACH lands. The only way you can LEGALLY do otherwise is BY PERMIT. And no I was not asked to leave becausr of antiquity laws, for disturbing the flora etc....I was asked to leave by the park superintendent because he was worried about the liability of me being in the water with boats nearby. As stated before it was explained by him to the FWC officer, and then to me by the same officer I could detect anywhere else I wanted. That doesn't sound like something he is going to change his minf over. Liability vs. Me picking up trash. Like I said, I used to work for the state and I understand how and why they operate the way they do. The dept I worked for was, of course, the Parks dept.

I also wanted to say I don't mean to sound rude or uncaring. I know your just trying to help and I really
appreciate that pal. I've just had enough of some of these laws on the books. Really just regulations, not laws passed by the congress or any other legislation.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So you can hunt the ramp, just not during times when boats are in the area? Is the ramp open year round?

I fish a lot right next to a busy boat ramp and have seen some extremely stupid or intoxicated boaters in my time. I have seen them run into each other's boats and trailers, I could image that they would mow right over somebody in the water!

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry dunnellondave, I didn't know you were also Dimeindave. Yes I was just trying to assist you, so that you could perhaps hunt in your chosen spot.

Its not so much the laws or regulations, as it is the interpretation of those laws or regulations by unknowing members of authority, it is not cut and dried, there is a gray area.

That is where we run into the problems.

Anyway I wish you the best of luck in your other hunting endeavors.

dunnellondave

Oct 1, 2013
Sorry dunnellondave, I didn't know you were also Dimeindave. Yes I was just trying to assist you, so that you could perhaps hunt in your chosen spot.

Its not so much the laws or regulations, as it is the interpretation of those laws or regulations by unknowing members of authority, it is not cut and dried, there is a gray area.

That is where we run into the problems.

Anyway I wish you the best of luck in your other hunting endeavors.

Thanks Sleeper! Seems someones always out to ruin some good, wholesome fun. Do we know each other?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread