AT Pro lost signal and weird depth indicator?

Plainsmen

Greenie
Mar 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out about 2 weekends ago when it was super nice that day. *Local park is soooooo full of bottle caps. It's my second day ever detecting... so ya.. 2nd day with my Garrett AT Pro as well.

Learning this Garrett AT Pro, and I find either I'm not going deep enough or the ground is giving me feedback cause I'm losing the signal on a dug hole a few times. Like... I get a good 80s+ signal... dig for awhile... nada. Then rechecknwith the AT Pro... nada? Uuhhh...

Anyway.... all clad here, but a cool old forged/poured square nail.

20160312_141626-1.jpg

So... like I find the Garrett AT Pro's "deep" indicator doesn't really reflect the depth of what I'm finding. *Maybe cause the ground is a bit wet still?

Maybe its me ad I obviously need much more practice. :)

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The At Pro has a little Problem It false ssss on LARGE Iron A few time I have dug down 18 inches or more to find a Iron Pipe Just found My first gold bouncing between 47 an 56 an not sounding like foil scratchy sounding Red will be posting soon On it

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found out early on with my ATP deep buried alumimum cans can give off VDI in the 80's and also false on the depth & sound off as a quarter.

Texas ED
S/E Texas Gulf Coast

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found out early on with my ATP deep buried alumimum cans can give off VDI in the 80's and also false on the depth & sound off as a quarter.

Texas ED
S/E Texas Gulf Coast

Yep that can down 2 feet in the sand Is a Real treasure!!!! Not Chug

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For the most part anything over 6" it don't do well, you will get a few coins at 8" but you need a cpl hundred hours on your atp to understand it well. Sometimes if your over a soda can it will ring in the 80's at 8" deep but raise your detector up 6" or so and if you still get a good signal it is mostly likely a soda can. Learn to adjust your sensitivity down a bit. When you learn it you will find the ATP will give you a lot of very subtle signals and you will know to dig them. Like any detector the more you use it the better you get. don't be afraid to experiment with settings

Wild

Greenie
Mar 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi new here, I just started metal detecting so I have bin diging in the front lawn. A couple days ago I got a good signal on my Ace 350 and dug a quarter 6" down, I still got a ding ding after removing the quarter. I dug deeper nothing. So yesterday I dug the hole deeper , bigger and finally at about a foot and a half a big chunk of aluminium I never got it out of the hole it was big and thick. Now I have a good spot to check if the detector.

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All Above is true// The ATP will sound off on a can at 8" --84-85 holding up 6-8" will tell you its a can--99%
Now I'm working a trailhead parking lot (I hit every yr ) getting an eratic 80-85 high tone 3 0r 4 passes then NOTHING--back and forth , East and West--nothing-move on and then come back-same 80-85 ??? doug out 6-8"--nothing --thro down a dime and it hits perfect--Strange //// ANYWAY Great to be getting weather so I can get out/// Perry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions