AT Pro New to metal detector

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garrett website has many instructional videos you can watch for free. Sounds like you need to learn how to use the Iron Audio.You will need to use some iron discrimination, too. Set out some different items, coins, nails, bottlecaps, etc. and just practice with some of the settings. After some practice you will start to notice things to alert you to check with the Iron Audio. For example, shallow bottlecaps do not pinpoint very well. Iron Audio will catch 99 out of 100 caps.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2012
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
ACE 350 , Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed with my 350 shallow "anything" does pinpoint well, I mean a dime an inch down has like a foot radius where the pinpoint is buried at max , up down and side to side

OP
OP
E

elmago

Dec 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks I will check those pointers, Just a lot of digging for five bottle caps, but you are right it is going to take a lot getting ajusted.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it is a good idea to start in an area with low trash levels. I know if I am checking a bottlecap with Iron Audio and I do a very short sweep (some call it a wiggle), it might sound okay. But if I widen the sweep a bit the Iron Audio will sound off. The only caps I ever hit are the deep ones, out of range of the I.A. or totally rusted out ones or if I forget to check with I.A. I've detected for hours in a city park without a single bottlecap. You will get it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like taking a new detector to the beach. You can hunt the dry sand and find dozens of different targets at all depths in a short period of time. And best of all, no difficult digging! You can get used to the new sounds and readings in a very short time frame.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first time out with the AT PRO, I thought that all it would find was bottle caps until I started using Iron Audio.. Look into it, things will get better soon.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an AT Pro and it takes about 40 hours to get to understand what it is telling you. My 1st cpl times it was why did i buy this my ace 250 did as well but after about 3 weeks i went fron finding $2 to $3 per day up to $6 to $12 per day. Watch all the viedos you can and watch your screen many times you think your hitting 85 or so but you sound will be a little off. Turn on iron audio and you know almost instantly it is a bottle cap. I dig alot of them just to make sure it is what i think it is. The forrest or woods will produce alot of shotgun shell casings and spent .22 rounds as well. Most everyone on here is a great deal of help. Some of these people been doing this for 30+ years. They all tell you to learn what your detector is telling you.

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with standard mode but really like the pro mode more. Bottle caps drive me crazy but you can tell the difference with iron audio. In pro mode it sounds a little different than a quarter. Do a comparison at home. Highly recommend a Garrett pro pointer. I can't find anything without it!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I jus Got my AT Pro, went to a forrest near by, but to many trash, good signals over 85 five diferent times in stabdard coin mode, but the five times they where bottle caps, I guess I need to go to more isolated fields or forrest.

We pull goods out of the trash all day long. Start digging stuff and start learning metal detecting. Metal detecting has very little to do with the machine you use, and everything to do with experience. For every coin in the ground, there are ten thousand pieces of trash. You gotta understand this and put the time in. Good luck to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread