At pro or At gold

kickit

Mar 18, 2013
southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Etrac, AT Pro, F2, Garrett Propointer
I have an F2 its a nice detector for the price I also have an ATPro which I like also. The main differences between Gold and Pro is the Gold is designed for gold hunting and the Pro for coin, relic and jewelry.
ATPro ATGold
8.5x11 coil 5x8 coil
15kHZ 18kHZ Waterproof to 10' Only the coil is waterproof
More search modes Only 3 search modes

Depends on what you plan to hunt but the Pro was the better fit for the targets I look for. I've used it on Florida salt water beach in wet and dry sand as well as all soil conditions in my home area and was happy with the results.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As they said above it all depends what you will use it for. I use the Pro.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't speak for the gold but have quite a bit of hours on the pro & got no complaints on using it in parks or at cellar holes its great on iron & what makes both awesome if its to hot jump in the river lol

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Both at pro and at gold are submersable to 10'. That's the complete unit. not just the coil. I don't have the water headphones so those have to stay above water level but the connection is water proof.

The at pro will hit on anything, not just round objects. I have found a sterling "lobster" clasp and a straight pin made of sterling as well as many odd shaped earrings and pendants.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In addition to what others have mentioned, the AT Gold is extremely sensitive and therefore not recommended for salt water use. The AT Pro will work in both fresh and salt water. AT Gold will find sub gram gold and coins and silver. AT Pro will find gram gold and coins and silver.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

GUARDIAN

Jul 15, 2013
Dunedin
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both. The AT-Gold is used for the Goldfields (All metal + Threshold ) or Park hunting, AT-Pro Beach or Park. The biggest difference for park hunting for coins would be the coil size, the signal on the ATG with the 8x5" is much tighter and makes it a lot easier to tell the difference between a goldie (NZ $1 or$2) and the likes of a new twist top it's also great for trashy areas. With the 11" the click at the edge isn't as prominent and I find I dig a heap more trash BUT I find the deeper silvers far easier and you can cover more ground quicker. If I had to choose one or the other I'd probably go with the ATG reasons would be All Metal Mode, I don't hunt the beach very much and I don't notch. In saying that as I'm more concentrating on the park not the playgrounds at the moment I tend to pick up the ATP to cover the bigger area, once again that's simply because I can't be bothered changing coils over - Or if I hit a trashy area my wife usually isn't to far away with the ATG. Hardcore users might disagree but I don't think really there is a huge difference.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well lots of options & opinions on this one I'd say I have my Atpro with the 5x8 & it hasn't let me down anywhere I've taken it parks,celler holes,beaches yards anywhere

GUARDIAN

Jul 15, 2013
Dunedin
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well lots of options & opinions on this one I'd say I have my Atpro with the 5x8 & it hasn't let me down anywhere I've taken it parks,celler holes,beaches yards anywhere

I've read that many ATP users go for the 5x8 and I can understand that completely, the tighter signal makes it so much nicer to pick the good signals and if you are after shallow targets the separation is well worth the lose of depth. Having the AT range is going to make it difficult to choose my next machine, I'm happy as both machines have well and truly paid for themselves in goldies and have taken a beating both have been accidentally drowned so being watertight to 3m is a big advantage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread