AT pro-overrated?

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never heard of the e trac being a bad machine. I know it goes far deeper than the At pro. I probably wouldn't be able to get used to the id numbers and recovery speed.
yes there are people who post that it's to heavy that they can't stand the sounds and stuff like that. I've never used one but I bet it's a great machine but when you say it's far deeper I doubt it much more than an inch but I don't know because I've never used one.

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO 5x8 Coil - VULCAN 360 Pinpointer -Lesche Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just ordered one from Kellyco. I've been watching this young man named NuggetNoggin on utube. He has proved to me that it is the best value detector for all around detecting that money can buy. See Video Link: http://youtu.be/3cnHikGs4G0
OK, UPDATE: A few weeks ago I received my AT Pro, it's my first machine. For me, it was easy to learn the various features and I never thought that a Mercury Dime was waiting 6" underground in earth that was trucked and dumped in my yard in 1983 only to be discovered in 2014. smh. Did some beach hunts - one in which I was going over an area that I seen a fellow Detectorist had just scanned and found some clad that either he missed or his machine didn't pick up. IMHO, the AT Pro is not hype - it's exactly as advertised.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, UPDATE: A few weeks ago I received my AT Pro, it's my first machine. For me, it was easy to learn the various features and I never thought that a Mercury Dime was waiting 6" underground in earth that was trucked and dumped in my yard in 1983 only to be discovered in 2014. smh. Did some beach hunts - one in which I was going over an area that I seen a fellow Detectorist had just scanned and found some clad that either he missed or his machine didn't pick up. IMHO, the AT Pro is not hype - it's exactly as advertised.

My experience as well...

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Originally Posted by Eureka! said:
My experience as well...

Singlestack Wonder - did you hunt in the water yet? I had mine at the seashore and dipped it in a few times - I didn't recover anything but it's waterproof cause it still works.

Check out NuggetNoggin on Utube - he swears by the AT Pro - In one video he shows a room in his house with THOUSANDS of finds displayed in cases. UNBELIEVABLE! I picked up a lot of good tips by watching all his videos. Good luck and happy finding!

eddy8239

Jul 13, 2013
After a year with the ATpro the only knock I have is balance ,I find I get arm pain from the elbow down after a couple of hours swingin. I compared it with my xlt a machine that looks bigger but really balanced much better.no strain on the for arm at all.

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After a year with the ATpro the only knock I have is balance ,I find I get arm pain from the elbow down after a couple of hours swingin. I compared it with my xlt a machine that looks bigger but really balanced much better.no strain on the for arm at all.

Eddy - I was a steel worker for a few years so I wouldn't know. If you get a pain from the elbow down maybe it would be to your advantage to get a small barbell and swing it during a time when you've got nothing to do. Exercise is the best medicine.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

5x8 coil will fix that right up!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I had the same coil heavy problem as well and solved it with the 5x8" coil from Bart!

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I had a similar experience when I received my AT Pro around two years ago. I thought that I had hunted the yard of the house I was renting clean with my Ace 250, until I took my ATP out there. I found a deep 1945 wheat penny in an area that I had gone over dozen of times with the 250.

I would someday like to try out an etrac as well, but I love my ATP. The more you use it, the better you will get.

Did you get a Pro Pointer to go along with it?

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been lurking here for a while. Was ready to order an AT Pro but life got in the way. I'm a devoted Sov'. GT user and it's the best detector I have ever owned. But, the Garrett has caught my eye because of it's proven capabilities and it doesn't mind getting wet. Unlike the GT.

lil_eric30

Aug 14, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Congrats on the new garrett. First off i am a xp deus owner. I do feel that the at pro is my next detector. Great machine for the money. Very versatile. I am in no way for or against one brand over the other. I have used a at pro in both water and on land. Takes a few hours to get used to it but a great detector. Saving up the clad this year for my new at pro as a water detector. Congrats again on the new detector. You will love it.

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a similar experience when I received my AT Pro around two years ago. I thought that I had hunted the yard of the house I was renting clean with my Ace 250, until I took my ATP out there. I found a deep 1945 wheat penny in an area that I had gone over dozen of times with the 250. I would someday like to try out an etrac as well, but I love my ATP. The more you use it, the better you will get. Did you get a Pro Pointer to go along with it?

Yes, I did get a Pointer but not a Garrett - it's a VULCAN 360 and it was bundled in a package that included a 5X8 coil, bags, etc. The V360 has Five sensitivity settings, it beeps, it vibrates and it very sturdy and seems to be water resistant as I dunked it under water and it still works

I almost bought the etrac but I am very happy with the AT Pro.

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey detectingpro!! I have a AT Pro and Etrac, lot of difference in prices and ability!! The ATP is relatively simple to use and waterproof within reason!! For the money it appears to be a very good unit!! I think you would enjoy it very much!! Now if you want to throw another $1,000 at it the Etrac is a very good unit also!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

What he said.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
The only problem I have with the AT Pro is it feels like it should cost $30. It light because its so cheaply made, not by design. I don't think it would have been humanly possible to find cheaper material to fabricate it with. I mean its made of the cheapest plastic and tube metal known to modern manufacturing. $600 isn't exactly a small amount of money.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro is a good detector for the money. It does not compare to a Sov GT or Etrek as those are different operating systems and $$$. For the price newbie's would do well to try one and see if it's your cup of tea. Myself, I use better, but then I mainly hunt the water an hate screens as more goodies are lost by not covering the screen with duct tape an trust your ears in Quality phones.

As for it being over rated. NO....It's just the new kid on the block and a lot of people got into the hobby by watching Diggers and YouTube video's.

Last edited:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only problem I have with the AT Pro is it feels like it should cost $30. It light because its so cheaply made, not by design. I don't think it would have been humanly possible to find cheaper material to fabricate it with. I mean its made of the cheapest plastic and tube metal known to modern manufacturing. $600 isn't exactly a small amount of money.
im pretty rough with mine and don't have any problems. I don't know why you say it's so cheaply made. I have seen on these forums more than once of an f75 control unit breaking off and for the money that thing cost that should not happen

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im pretty rough with mine and don't have any problems. I don't know why you say it's so cheaply made. I have seen on these forums more than once of an f75 control unit breaking off and for the money that thing cost that should not happen

Me too. In fact last year I was hunting a steep ocean embankment and lost my footing. Ended up in the beach rocks below with my ATP beside me. I reluctantly picked it up expecting the worst however there was only a small scratch on the control box. If this would have been the F-75, I think it would have been toast. Many times I have dropped mine and even submerged it below the 10' threshold on a few occassions.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me too. In fact last year I was hunting a steep ocean embankment and lost my footing. Ended up in the beach rocks below with my ATP beside me. I reluctantly picked it up expecting the worst however there was only a small scratch on the control box. If this would have been the F-75, I think it would have been toast. Many times I have dropped mine and even submerged it below the 10' threshold on a few occassions.
glad your ok yea I don't know why people say they are cheaply made. They are truly all terrain and I don't baby mine I use it. Some of these guys who comment have never owned one or just picked one up or used it a couple of times. I've used a heavy metal detector before and it sucked after about an hour. The pro is deff sturdy and built well in my opinion but maybe the ones who break them use them as golf clubs or throw them around not sure. They aren't bullet proof but are well made.

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
glad your ok yea I don't know why people say they are cheaply made. They are truly all terrain and I don't baby mine I use it. Some of these guys who comment have never owned one or just picked one up or used it a couple of times. I've used a heavy metal detector before and it sucked after about an hour. The pro is deff sturdy and built well in my opinion but maybe the ones who break them use them as golf clubs or throw them around not sure. They aren't bullet proof but are well made.

Do you use the 5" x 8" coil on yours? It's an entirely different machine with that coil. Lighter, better balanced and a killer on trash separation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread