AT PRO Pro/Coins Mode- Pull Tabs!

nsm1978

Jan 4, 2013
Need advice from you experts, I'm currently using the AT PRO in Pro/ Coins mode with Max sensitivity, ground balanced. Is there any reason why I'm still picking up pulltabs?? This is driving me crazy. Is there anything I can do???

Also I am picking up faint targets but they're not coming up on the target ID. Location is an old church from the 1700s.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Your right on that it isnt always a nickel...infact i havent ever dug a nickel with it yet i still try....i dig all kinds of can slaw that lock in on nickel id think i would get a random nickel if i keep after it but so far even a random nickel seems to elude me with the at pro ....my back yard is a ball field and its been a bar back into the early 50's so theres many beaver tails and pull tabs to be found here ..more then anyone would ever want to dig so i notch them out ...with the ace 350 ive dug 12 or so war nickels atleast another dozen buffalo nickels and countless clad nickels ....the ace can lock onto a pull tab and id bet you my corvette its a pull tab ...thats one thing the ace can do is discrim pull tabs ....if only it could do something besides scream silver on a rusty bottle cap they might have something worth selling
yes, if you have a mustache, the hairs get caught up in them!

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nickles

I agree 100%..........Over 600 hours on my AT Pro, if it is a constant 52-53....................not jumping to, 54 55 or 57 but 52-53 steady I am digging a nickel. Dustytrails and I or anyone else will never agree on this machine, I am not just a once in a while weekend hunter, I hunt 3 to 4 times a week, lots of digging to back this up

I agree... My AT Pro finds nickels all of the time at 52-53...

Indianametal

Feb 19, 2013
west central indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ace250
I've only got one week on my ATPro and am at 5 nickels everyone 52-54 but solid. Every pulltab so far has jumped except the old beavertail ones that ring in solid 60-61. However I have found that when you run the target pulltab on tge edge of the coil it will grunt and really start to jump around. I have positively ID'd probably 50 so far this way. The one ring I have found rang up 55 and never moved at all.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been detecting since the late 70's... you dug pull tabs then & you dig pull tabs now...Aluminum has hi conductivity... you can discriminate it out, but if you do you will miss so many good targets... you had better get used to it :)

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT pro has no problem finding nickels...you hear everything on T NET...the Ace 350 is better on nickels than the AT pro?...that's a good one.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT pro has no problem finding nickels...you hear everything on T NET...the Ace 350 is better on nickels than the AT pro?...that's a good one.

Guess you'd have to get the ace350 to find out for yourself

BcuttinPlugs

Mar 6, 2014
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/fisher f2 garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess you'd have to get the ace350 to find out for yourself

I'm not here to bash anyone or any other detector. I am def not biased to any detectors. Iv had a cheap bounty hunter a f2 and the at pro.. They all find nickels just fine.... It's funny but almost annoying how much I see u bashing the at pro. Ok everyone gets it, u don't like the at pro. Y don't u just stop writing crap about it.. Didn't ur mother teach u if u have nothing nice to say don't say it at all. I realize what I just wrote isn't very nice but it's not mean. Just tired of seeing the name dusty trails followed by an at pro bashing. Get over it man

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not here to bash anyone or any other detector. I am def not biased to any detectors. Iv had a cheap bounty hunter a f2 and the at pro.. They all find nickels just fine.... It's funny but almost annoying how much I see u bashing the at pro. Ok everyone gets it, u don't like the at pro. Y don't u just stop writing crap about it.. Didn't ur mother teach u if u have nothing nice to say don't say it at all. I realize what I just wrote isn't very nice but it's not mean. Just tired of seeing the name dusty trails followed by an at pro bashing. Get over it man
Hey, is the buckle in your avatar silver...Ive found two like it but both are silver plated.

BcuttinPlugs

Mar 6, 2014
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/fisher f2 garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, is the buckle in your avatar silver...Ive found two like it but both are silver plated.

Yes sir it's silver. The clasp is broken and it was nickel but the whole buckle itself is indeed sterling.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is little things that may give you a edge on nickles vs pull tabs. But if you dont dig every signal you will miss targets. Try this to get your trash to find ratio up. Pick the coil up a few inches and see if you get the same numbers? Or maybe change your settings and see what it reads. Usually if Im within ten feet of a sidewalk, trash can, or tree I wont dig a nickle target. Learn what works for you and you will get your keeper rate up. I swing a F75 and it is good at telling me what I have, but I still dig pull tabs and bottle caps, though not very many. It really is the operator. The atp has good discrimination and in the right hands it will find the goodies. Maybe you can just run a little disc and that will cut down on all the pull tabs.

davehky

Jan 3, 2007
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 garrette pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should be able to discrim the pull tabs out and keep your nickels they dont ring up the same on any machine ive ever used ...that being said the at pro isnt a nickel killer ive dug every nickel target ive found with the at pro and never once had a nickel ...the ace350 dominates the at pro on nickel signals
Even with the ace 250,with a steady signal over nickel is a nickel and once even a 14k medal! Low tone...

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually if Im within ten feet of a sidewalk, trash can, or tree I wont dig a nickle target.

I've been detecting for about a year, mine is a beep-and-dig machine, a Tesoro Cibola. But, the above is very good advice. Take notice of your environment. I have found it easy to get tunnel vision when detecting. Example: I was recently detecting near a tennis court and dug up a large pop top, the kind that comes from a can of tennis balls. This was near the entrance and then I happened to look around and all near the entrance there were lots of those large pop tops all over, even on the surface. So, it seemed fruitless to keep going for that kind of a signal in that exact spot.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sir it's silver. The clasp is broken and it was nickel but the whole buckle itself is indeed sterling.
Nice...the clasp on one of mine is broken in half.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread