AT Pro Questions

Budman231

Sep 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks,

I'm sitting here hoping that this terrible winter comes to an end soon. As I anticipate the nice weather, I've decided to get an AT Pro and give my ACE-350 to my son so we can go hunting together. I considered the Minelab 705 also, but after talking to some folks the ATP seems like the better choice for me.

Anyway my question is .. when I transition over to the ATP from the 350, what should I learn first to make my initial hunts with the ATP successful and fun ?

Sounds like the Pro mode is the way to go and that the iron audio would be very helpful to find treasures among junk.. Does anyone have suggestions for how to get started with he ATP if I'm already familiar with the 350 and its low, mid, and high tones ?

I have to assume that the normal node (non-Pro) is similar to my 350..

Thanks,
Bud

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Hunt in zero mode, set the iron audio to about 30, and learn it! You already are familiar with the notching, pinpointing, sensitivity etc. Learn the tones, the chirps and burps. You will do just fine.:icon_thumleft:

Watch some videos if need be. Garrett AT PRO Training, "From the Field" and Tip Videos

classifier d.jpg

Last edited:

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello, watch the garrett dvd, it will help with the basics, do some tests in a metal free area with coins and learn their signature tones and pre tones. Swells before mean gold swells after mean iron ect... happy hunting! :hello:

relish

Mar 28, 2013
Staten Island NY
Detector(s) used
ATPRO......Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a few tips......

1st read the manual......I almost always use the pro zero mode when hunting,you just have to learn the different tones.....there is one standard mode setting that gives exceptional depth and eliminates the chatter from multiple signals.......1-....hold the atpro 6-8 inches above the ground and turn the power on....2-....set to standard zero mode.....3-...manual GB,then notch down 16 numbers....4-...set Iron Disc to 12....5-....set Sens. one notch below max.....you're ready to go....this setting sounds screwy but it gives you less chatter and does go deep....try it a few times and see if you like it.....best way to experiment in either pro or standard is a test garden....you would be surprised how many MD'ers never bother to do this....best of luck to you, the atpro is a champ!.....relish

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
B

Budman231

Sep 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you to all that replied with the helpful tips and tricks.. I am excited for the upcoming hunting season, especially with my boy and new AT Pro..

Bud

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I transitioned from the 350 to the pro. I run in pro zero. Iron disc around 27 or so. I manual ground balance on clean ground. Low tone raise number high tone lower it. In trashy sites drop sens one to two bars from top and if you can get the 5x8 coil for the heavy trash areas. It took me a bit to learn it only got frustrated a couple times but come on tnet and get advice from guys like John and other guys. I also called Wayne from metal detecting stuff for advise. I am good with it now and love it. At this point I won't get rid of it. Good luck and that 350 was a great machine too but I did find a merc dime under the clothes line with the pro that I went over many times with the 350. I'm thinking the 350 was not giving a very good tone is why I never dug it but the pro picked it up great. Any questions get on here and we will help you as much as we can and watch the video a few times it will help. You also might get some guys with negative comments just take them with a grain of salt there is no perfect machine out there and trash will fool you sometimes. You will love the at pro.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Budman231

Sep 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot. Ya i am excited about the new purchase. I've watched many videos and the all the chirps and burps seem like it can give you so much more information than the 350 can. I found a lot of stuff with my 350 including a $2000-3000 wedding band. It works very well, but I also wonder how much I have missed too. Well I look forward to spring and thanks for your help.

Bud

I transitioned from the 350 to the pro. I run in pro zero. Iron disc around 27 or so. I manual ground balance on clean ground. Low tone raise number high tone lower it. In trashy sites drop sens one to two bars from top and if you can get the 5x8 coil for the heavy trash areas. It took me a bit to learn it only got frustrated a couple times but come on tnet and get advice from guys like John and other guys. I also called Wayne from metal detecting stuff for advise. I am good with it now and love it. At this point I won't get rid of it. Good luck and that 350 was a great machine too but I did find a merc dime under the clothes line with the pro that I went over many times with the 350. I'm thinking the 350 was not giving a very good tone is why I never dug it but the pro picked it up great. Any questions get on here and we will help you as much as we can and watch the video a few times it will help. You also might get some guys with negative comments just take them with a grain of salt there is no perfect machine out there and trash will fool you sometimes. You will love the at pro.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your welcome

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done the 350 to ATP leap - here's my 2 cents....try this....run in Pro mode, Iron Audio on, iron disc. at 22 and dig all of those higher "faint" tones you barely hear that gives no visual ID or # or depth on the screen. Also after the battery level drops just one bar, I replace the batteries the next trip out. I swear this helps with the depth and the faint iffy signals. I've picked up 3 silvers in my grandmothers yard of the battery change that I know I went over 4 or 5 times, all faint iffy and deep as well. Good luck, you will love the machine.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After you begin to get used it the tones, the chirps and burps may be subtle sometimes but more often than not you will learn which ones to dig. I always use mine in pro mode and it is a coin hog.

OP
OP
B

Budman231

Sep 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First couple days out with the ATP... Did pretty well on Pro, Zero, Iron Disc at 30, Iron Audio on.

I found lots of coins. ATP got tricked by small triangle shaped aluminum trimmings from school roof. Rang up in the 80-90 range.

have to get used to the volume of the tones. So far very happy with it. All but the ridiculously heavy scull crusing headphones ! I hated the headphones so much, I installed the audio adapter so I can run my Bose QC15's...

Bud

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Avoid IA in trashy areas, you can use that after you learn the essentials. Set pro mode zero scrim and set iron scrim in the thirties. Dont notch anything out trust me. Use the tones. Dont look at the screen for ID numbers, its pointless at this time. If you just cant help it check out the depth of targets but try to avoid it for now, you can tell depth by the loudness after a while. And if its a goody you will dig it anyway no matter how deep it is, even if you dont have a clue exactly how deep it is. Concentrate on the three tones and proportional audio. Its easy, just make it happen. Use your ears. Start with sense set at two or three or four, verify gb, and dig all high pitch and avoid everything else for the first fifty targets. pp all dug targets too so you learn that, its stupendous even with the big stock dd. I run pro mode, zero iron scrim, zero notch, max sense, big dd in the trashiest parks you can imagine. That's where you will end up eventually anyway. Its a fast machine and can handle iron very well even when maxed out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions