Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello....I have been using the AT PRO for the last 8 months, and have found some very nice things with it. Found a Walker the 2nd day i got it..which was PUUUURE LUCK...but I did found my first IH..and a Few Buffs.

I use it only in PRO Mode...and it seems to be about 99 percent accurate on coins 4 inches or deeper. and trust me..This machine goes deeper than I have ever imagined.

So here is my Issue. ..For some reason..ever time i go over a damn Steel Bottle cap..it gives me a great tone..and sometimes the numbers tell me its wrong..but sometimes it will read like a straight up Quarter or Dime.. and I have read the manual...watched videos...it tells me it would give me a low tone/then high tone.

But its reading as a straight up HIGH Tone..usally a 88 (which i found is a quarter)

I would LOVE to find out im doing something wrong, because my Ace 250 wouldnt even pick this up.
I find so many flat pieces of Iron, that i figured would be discrimated out, but sometimes it reads so close to a true coin single

If there is anyone that has dealt with this, or knows what the hell im doing wrong.

It would be much appreacitated.

Silverfinder99

Mar 23, 2012
Jacksonville AR
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use the AT PRO but I douse the AT GOLD and they both have the same tone roll audio and I've always encountered the same problem as you with the bottle caps. Even when I turn on iron audio, sometimes it still reads and sounds just like a good target. The only thing I have been able to come up with to explain this is the metallic paint on the cap. I have found that if the cap is a little or completely rusty I have a much easier time identifying it as a bottle cap but when they are preserved well they seem to act exactly like a coin so I guess there really is no good solution to this problem other than hoping these caps will get a little scratch in the paint so the rust can start setting in or better yet people could start disposing of there garbage themselves but I won't be holding my breath. Good luck!

eboy1960

Mar 2, 2009
indianapolis indiana
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro/teknetics 6000
yes i think silverfinder99 hit the nail on the head or the bottle cap lol i was out today at a park an notice this also on my at pro when finding some bottle caps,,im sure your not doing anything wrong good luck and keep swinging it.

mrmackin

Aug 1, 2012
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine does the same, the metal on a clad coin and a bottle cap are just about the same conductivity and size, so there is no way around finding bottle caps with the AT Pro. I am using the stock double D coil, but I will soon be getting a concentric, I'll report back when I see if it has different results. I used a Whites with the discrim on for years and found very few bottle caps, now with the AT Pro I use Pro mode/35-40 Iron discrim/Iron audio off/nothing notched out, I find more bottle caps AND many more Quarters and dimes.

I do find, however, that most of the time the bottle caps are louder than the Quarters. Hope this helps.:icon_thumright:

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine does the same, the metal on a clad coin and a bottle cap are just about the same conductivity and size, so there is no way around finding bottle caps with the AT Pro. I am using the stock double D coil, but I will soon be getting a concentric, I'll report back when I see if it has different results. I used a Whites with the discrim on for years and found very few bottle caps, now with the AT Pro I use Pro mode/35-40 Iron discrim/Iron audio off/nothing notched out, I find more bottle caps AND many more Quarters and dimes.

I do find, however, that most of the time the bottle caps are louder than the Quarters. Hope this helps.:icon_thumright:

This! Definitely sound is much louder....& get used to using iron audio

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my AT pro in standard mode and a bottle cap jumps trough all 3 tones 9 out of 10 times on a cap. When I first get the signal it might be a repeatable high tone but if I circle the target while swinging and it starts jumping around lke crazy its a bottlecap. When you circle a coin it wont change but a bottle cap will jump all over the place. Thats one of the things I love about my AT pro...being able to tell when its a bottle cap. I never could figure out the tone roll audio but I figured out my own method. I run iron disc at 40 and have nothing notched out.

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys, Thanks for all the input, I do feel alot better now, knowing i wasnt just totally missing something. I have noticed that the caps are very loud...sometimes ear piercing., but i wasnt sure if that was because they were close to the surface, or just how they ring up...I think thats why i have better luck on deep targets.

Thanks again for the input on this, im sure i will have more questions in the future....Now if i can just figure out what are good gold readings....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread