Athletic Skunk

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I go jogging every night on the local high school track. It is pretty dark out there but I spotted the white tail of a skunk, jogging in lane 8(I was in lane 3). I was hesitant about passing him out, because it might frighten him into giving me a squirt. I couldn't keep up the slow pace, so I took a chance and ignored him,passing him out.
That skunk ran on the track nearly a quarter mile. This happened last week,the evening before I picked up my eight boxes. I'm not superstitious, but I was wondering if this was a sign of things to come.
As it turned out I didn't do great on my boxes, but didn't skunk out either.

Last night there he is again, jogging on the track. Very strange.
HH
Rich

Upvote 0

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Rich Hartford said:
I go jogging every night on the local high school track. It is pretty dark out there but I spotted the white tail of a skunk, jogging in lane 8(I was in lane 3). I was hesitant about passing him out, because it might frighten him into giving me a squirt. I couldn't keep up the slow pace, so I took a chance and ignored him,passing him out.
That skunk ran on the track nearly a quarter mile. This happened last week,the evening before I picked up my eight boxes. I'm not superstitious, but I was wondering if this was a sign of things to come.
As it turned out I didn't do great on my boxes, but didn't skunk out either.

Last night there he is again, jogging on the track. Very strange.
HH
Rich
If he is there next week turn around and RUN!

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Obe,
It's cold and raining tonight so I'm going to skip it. I thought it might be rabid. It was very bizarre watching him on that track. Always stayed in the same lane too.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Rich Hartford said:
Obe,
It's cold and raining tonight so I'm going to skip it. I thought it might be rabid. It was very bizarre watching him on that track. Always stayed in the same lane too.
That's why I said run, it is not normal for a skunk to be doing that- for you to try to run by him a third time may be pushing it way too far. I've shot them B4 around my house, have burnt them in Bonfire to make sure nothing else ate on them too; have had lots of Rabies in my area, 2 skunks found last month that were rabid.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Hartford,
Mr. Obediah is correct--this is highly unusual for a skunk. We have tons where I live in Texas (plus snakes--creepy!). Most shy away from a human environment. Lots of folks round here keep cats as they keep skunks away. At least this is the experiences I have had as I live in a semi-rural community, but my parents live on a farm in a rural community.

As far as luck--yep, it could be a sign that this is your "skunk" and you will never see another one again--in your boxes!

Smile, Apush :read2:

buffhunter

May 30, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Rich - I have had skunks before as pets and used to have on that lived under the house. we would see it go to the road every night - searching for food. It is easier for them to "spot" possible food on pavement vs runting thru the grass. Frogs, grasshoppers, earthworms are all a part of their diet. Since you didn't get spayed (or should I say skunked) that me be a good omen and passing the skunk may mean that the skunks are behind you. Good luck in your future boxes.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
He may have been a pet or tamed somewhat. Ny old man would feed any critter that would come. Used to get over a dozen racoons on the deck looking for food. I would come home drunk not carting about them and they wouldnt care about me.

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Rich,
He may have smelled you from your "Windbreaker" incident at the bank the other week. Were you wearing the same pants?
riileyboy

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
rileyboy said:
Rich,
He may have smelled you from your "Windbreaker" incident at the bank the other week. Were you wearing the same pants?
riileyboy

He was out there again last night waiting to ambush me with his tail in the air. I had to speed up fast and cut my run short by 2 laps.
I'm going to pig out on some baked beans, cabbage and broccoli. Get him before he gets me.
HH
Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread