Atlantis

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Oroblanco You read a bad translation of Plato ( Timaeus and Critias ) . In ancient and modern Greek language , the text is little different and has other meanings . If you want , I will do a correct translation of the previous quoted text , just to see the differences . The ancient words " megas ( μέγας ) " when is used for persons , means " great " , but when is used for things , means " big " or " bigger " . Just for your knowledge . The ancient word " mizo ( μείζω ) " which said Critias , means only " big " or " bigger " .

You are correct that the most accurate scholarship is found in a document's original language. Many things change as a language ages, and that is especially true when a different language is used. English translations of ancient Greek are not all the same - we're not 100% certain how accurate any of them are because of the time separation. Even English translations of today's modern Greek contains subtle inconsistencies in meaning.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don Jose

In your first suggested link , Mrs. Joan Connelly supports how a virgine sacrifice , King Erehthea's daughter , is carved on the frieze of the Parthenon temple in Athens .

I believe she did a big mistake . The 160 meters frieze of the Parthenon , shows on the four sides , four different war representations . The east side represents the Giants battle , the west side represents the Amazons battle , the south side represents the Centaurus batlle and the north side represents fragments of the Trojan war .

Maybe the north side with the Trojan war , is the side which Mrs. Connelly believe how shows the sacrifice of King Erehthea's daughter . Mrs. Connelly forgot how in the beggining of the war against Troy , the King Agamemnon had sacrificed his daughter Ifigenia in honor to Poseidon god , to give them favorable wind for their ships . Is clearly how she have confused these two sacrifices which are from two different stories .

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'd afternoonb Marius: Since I am not qualified to hold her note pad, let alone advise her, I cannot comment. But it seems to me that if the Trojan war was sculpted inside of the temple, there should never have been the slightest suspicion that the war with Troy was a fairy tale, only to be found in the kiddie tales from the Illiad?? no? Yet ????

Don Jose de La Mancha

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don Jose

All the carvings on the frieze of the Parthenon represent mythological wars . But don't forget how every myth has a percent of truth which is eqivalent with how many evidences were found for every case . The case of Troy has a bigger percent .

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mariuis my good friend: I, more than others, should know of myths etc. My project is still considered as a myth by the same people who were involved, even today deny it - yet I have the positive proof

Join me for a cuppa hot, fresh, Mexican mt coffee

Don Jose de La Mancha

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don Jose

I could imagine you by advertising your favorite coffee with some greek words . Something like this :

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a translation of the text which we have debated in our previous posts . And is this :

The priest said to Solon :

“ Many great works of your city which are written here , are admired , but one predominate in size and virtue . Therefore , our writings say how your city destroyed a big hostile power , power with arrogance , which rushed out of the Atlantic ocean , directed parallel against to Europe and Asia .
Then , someone could passed the sea , because in its mouth , that which you call the Columns of Hercules , was an island . This island was bigger than Libya and Asia together , and starting from this , then , the people could disembark on the other islands , and after , from them , to all the opposite continent which was located around of that true ocean .
These places , which were located in the interior of the strait which we are talking about , look like a harbor which has a narrow entrance , but that sea is really an ocean and the land that surrounds it , can be rightly to named a continent . Therefore , in this island , named Atlantis , been organized a great and wondrous power of kings , which ruled the whole island , as well many other islands and parts of the continent . “
……….

“ But , after enough time had passed , been terrible earthquakes and cataclysms , and in one dreadful day and night , all your army sank into the earth and disappeared , as well as sank into the sea the Atlantis island . “

In Plato era , the Libya was the north part of Africa , west from Egypt , and Asia was the Asia minor , what is today Turkey .

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
I did a translation of the text which we have debated in our previous posts . And is this : The priest said to Solon : “ Many great works of your city which are written here , are admired , but one predominate in size and virtue . Therefore , our writings say how your city destroyed a big hostile power , power with arrogance , which rushed out of the Atlantic ocean , directed parallel against to Europe and Asia . Then , someone could passed the sea , because in its mouth , that which you call the Columns of Hercules , was an island . This island was bigger than Libya and Asia together , and starting from this , then , the people could disembark on the other islands , and after , from them , to all the opposite continent which was located around of that true ocean . These places , which were located in the interior of the strait which we are talking about , look like a harbor which has a narrow entrance , but that sea is really an ocean and the land that surrounds it , can be rightly to named a continent . Therefore , in this island , named Atlantis , been organized a great and wondrous power of kings , which ruled the whole island , as well many other islands and parts of the continent . “ ………. “ But , after enough time had passed , been terrible earthquakes and cataclysms , and in one dreadful day and night , all your army sank into the earth and disappeared , as well as sank into the sea the Atlantis island . “ In Plato era , the Libya was the north part of Africa , west from Egypt , and Asia was the Asia minor , what is today Turkey .

From what you have written, Atlantis was in the entrance to the Mediterranean. Is that correct? I have the word for word translation at home. I will check it this evening.

Thank you,

Joe

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe

Yes , Atlantis island seems to been in the entrance to the Mediterranean sea . I am most puzzled with the texts :

" ... the opposite continent which was located around of that true ocean . "
" ... and
the land that surrounds it , can be rightly to named a continent . "

The priest shows the continent as a compact land around the Atlantic Ocean . :icon_scratch:

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be clearly , we are talking about the Atlantis island and not about the Atlanteans country . Don't forget how the Atlanteans " ... ruled the whole island , as well many other islands and parts of the continent . “

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe

Atlantis is not history , for the moment is only a myth . But logical , they could ruled the Caribbean Islands and the Central America . Official history about America , starts late in the fifteenth century .

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Joe Atlantis is not history , for the moment is only a myth . But logical , they could ruled the Caribbean Islands and the Central America . Official history about America , starts late in the fifteenth century .

Marius,

Are you certain that there is nothing earlier?

Joe

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe

I wrote " Official history " . Unofficially , I am certain how there was something earlier . I believe how something should been written about in the early Byzantine period .

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Marius,

Don't know what you consider "official" but you have my interest here. Do you consider Egyptian hieroglyphics written history?

Joe

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe

I consider " official " , the history which can proven . The word " history " is a great philosophical subject .

And , yes , many egyptian hieroglyphs could be considered history .

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't discount any civilization . Every civilization has a written history ,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread