Atlas of treasure maps By F.L. Coffman

Feb 18, 2017
London
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I know this is an old thread, but can anyone that has this book see if there is anything listed in Belize.
Ambergris Caye area. Thank you.

Hi MPH200, I am a new user and this is my first post!

I recently got hold of a lovely copy of this book. I just found a page on the 'Gulf of Mexico, Campeche, Yucatan and Honduras' and there are a couple of locations marked on the map around the Ambergris Caye area. That said, there is no description of the ship that sunk in these spots. Would you like me to post a picture for you on this thread? Also if you would like to share what you are investigating that would definitely make it all the more interesting!

Thank you

The Bearded Buccaneer

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Some of the old maps and charts that include shipwrecks would probably have considerably more utility than F.L. Coffman's masterpiece.

Let's just say he was generous in borrowing information from others - and he wasn't too picky about where it got it or what it was worth.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi MPH200, I am a new user and this is my first post!

I recently got hold of a lovely copy of this book. I just found a page on the 'Gulf of Mexico, Campeche, Yucatan and Honduras' and there are a couple of locations marked on the map around the Ambergris Caye area. That said, there is no description of the ship that sunk in these spots. Would you like me to post a picture for you on this thread? Also if you would like to share what you are investigating that would definitely make it all the more interesting!

Thank you

The Bearded Buccaneer

Absolutely post away. Thank you.

These are some of the wrecks I am researching.

From Marx, 1971, "Before 1792. An English Chart dated 1792 states that some years earlier a Spanish galleon named "Santa Yaga was lost off the Three Brothers.

From Potter - 1792 English ship, "Water Witch", lost offshore Ambergris Caye carrying $1,200,000 in specie.

Wreck at Tres Cocos, "Yealdham" -1800.

English ship "Comet" - 1882.

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

map.jpg

Feb 18, 2017
London
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Coffman - Gulf Campeche, Mex, Yucatan, Honduras 2.JPG

Here you go, as you can see there are three dots at Ambergris (a red dot is an x-marks the spot). One dot on the cost and two dots just off the coast of Ambergris at a place called Cayo Grande. There are no descriptions for these three dots... Only descriptions are given for dots with a number linked to to it.

Hope this helps!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Can you tell me how to reach the woman you say sold the book on the shipwrecks?
Bill - I'm interested in purchasing a copy of your book. Please send me a "PM" if you have one available, or know where I might find one.

Thank you!

F.L. Coffman published a series of individual treasure maps - all listed in the Ladd blbliography, and then he wrote his famous Atlas that covered many of the same locations, but the charts are not identical to the single issues.

Coffman copied the US government wreck charts for the WW II vessels. He borrowed from other treasure writers quite liberally. Compare his "Pacho Villa Treasure Map" in 1001 Lost, Buried and Sunken Treasures to the one in Ken Krippene's little book.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions