ATP and ghost signals?

GreatElb

Mar 24, 2013
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Recently upgraded to the ATP from an Ace350 a couple weeks back and am loving it.

Yesterday evening I was able to isolate a high 93-95 VDI target at 8" deep.

Long story short, I found a cut nail under a rock that was the size of my coil (8.5x11) which was complete luck but nothing that would read high. So deeper I go.

After my plug turned into a hole the size of my coil and 8" deep, I'm still getting a high VDI dead center in the hole. As I keep going deeper, my pinpointer keeps sounding like it is touching the target every time I removed another inch or two of soil. After being about a foot down, nothing can be seen yet the ATP and my pinpointer tell me I must be blind if I can't see a target.

Could it simply be a ghost signal or should I go back to find out what is there? The only reason I left is because it was getting dark and I was a good walk from my car.

I have been able to recover a target with every plug so far with my ATP. This was a strong repeatable signal from all directions.

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
go back and keep digging there is something in the ground it could be in the side wall too

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try this I do it to all my machines with cords when u wrap ur coil go straight up the rod about a foot then start wrapping the coil clockwise from there its not inly helped with ghost signals also helped settle down the machine made it more stable including being around EMI to may help may not worth a shot dont cost anything to try

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could also try pinpointing and raising your coil over the target. If its a strong signal several inches to a foot over, its a large target probably fairly deep. Could be in the side wall as well, as stated.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're machine and pinpointer are going crazy then it is a large metal object in the ground.
The best way to tell if you have a large object under your coil is to lift the coil 6-12 inches above the ground over the target.
If it still sounds off it most likely is a buried can or large metal object.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
The best discriminator is a shovel.
Good luck.
Rich

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good pointers here. Also, you may have some hot rocks that are screwing with you too.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had same thing and thinking I'm crazy when ATP and pro pointer whispering dig deeper dig deeper, only to find its a stupid soda can. As others have said raise it up off the ground about 8" and if its still singing its the highly collectable rare canus aluminus.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

GreatElb

Mar 24, 2013
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went back today. And couldn't find the same spot. Thought for sure I could. Guess I covered up proof I was there too well.

Tried scanning the area for my mystery signal but it was unbearable. Readings all over the place today, but it wasn't that way two days ago. I could stand in one spot not moving with VDI and beeps all over from 1 to 99. This was happening in an are about an acre in size, no overhead power lines.

Others side of the park was just fine. Found a bunch of clad and some jewelry.

I guess this will be the one that got away. Lessons learned, don't give up even if it is getting dark on the last target.

OP
OP
G

GreatElb

Mar 24, 2013
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Link to a short video of how the ATP was reading the area. And how unstable it was today.

OP
OP
G

GreatElb

Mar 24, 2013
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did. But it was no help in that section of the park. The other half was not an issue and I was able to actually find stuff there. The mystery today is that this area did not act this way two days ago.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the parks i hunt had a camera mounted on a tree that was stream video to the police station. This park has been vandalised recently with people burning down pavilions. The streaming video was putting off emi that made my MD chattery. I moved away and it cleared up.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of you don't mind me asking has it been raining there? Other than making sure the coil wire connector is tight, the wire itself is obviously not jiggling from your video the only two options left are, bad box or as what I ran into. Near my property an area gave many of my detectors erratic readings like yours and was worse when it rained. The electric company eventually found out that a main distribution wire had a split in the insulation and the rain water caused it to go crazy. This was area I had problems in, once fixed no more issues. Just a thought, funny how these machines can pick up the oddest things.

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer, Plastic Scooper, Trowel, 17" Shovel, Lesche Digging Tool, Garrett Camo Treasure Pouch, Garrett Detector Bag, Headphone Bag, LED Flashlight, 8.5"x11" DD Coil Cover
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had same thing and thinking I'm crazy when ATP and pro pointer whispering dig deeper dig deeper, only to find its a stupid soda can. As others have said raise it up off the ground about 8" and if its still singing its the highly collectable rare canus aluminus.

It happened to me twice already
I was heated when out pops a whole can.

OP
OP
G

GreatElb

Mar 24, 2013
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Of you don't mind me asking has it been raining there? Other than making sure the coil wire connector is tight, the wire itself is obviously not jiggling from your video the only two options left are, bad box or as what I ran into. Near my property an area gave many of my detectors erratic readings like yours and was worse when it rained. The electric company eventually found out that a main distribution wire had a split in the insulation and the rain water caused it to go crazy. This was area I had problems in, once fixed no more issues. Just a thought, funny how these machines can pick up the oddest things.

It did rain on Wednesday hunted today on Friday. But it also rained on Monday (much heavier than Wednesdays rain), hunted on Tuesday without any issue.

I double checked my connection today and removed the coil protector to make sure nothing was between the two. Again it was only in a small area of the park that was effected today.

I'm thinking it may be an underground electrical issue. Could be wrong but will check the same area again the next time I am in the neighborhood. Once I cross the sidewalk and go another 30-35 yards from where the video was filmed the chatter disappears.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think its underground line. Ours was affected everytime it rained and our house would act like we had a power drain but I think it was shorting out somehow and as I went near with my MD it picked up on it acting like I'd found a hidden alien spaceship. Keep us posted I want to know if it does it again when you go back.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I hates dem danged bummed ghost signals!:angry1:
ytyrtyrt.jpg

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was the ghost in your attic fully disclosed when you bought the place?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread