TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But yes, I'll keep my trusty ATP and will buy an Etrac early next year! Lets see what happens!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After you get the Etrac you'll sell the ATP.

Lol, don't think so. I ocassionally go hunting in the water. Etrac would be my first choice for general detecting. While I would definitely use my ATP for iron infested sites! Well, time will tell what will happen!

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Your Garrett stays in one set frequency group with a bandwidth capable of a plus or minus a few points each way. (Example 15.6 or 15.2 kHz) To say the machine has multi frequencies is both true and false. For the sake of argument and to simplify things, the ATP is set to read 15kHz frequencies. So its capable of reading in the field of that frequency. (Example 15.2 kHz 15.4 kHz 15.7 kHz) These are all different frequencies but all still in the 15 frequency range. The At Gold reads in the 18kHz field.
Your Coil is the antenna for your detector. One reason companies use symmetric frequencies is the ability of one antenna (coil) being used for multiple frequencies. What this means is the number of wire wraps or possible lengths of wire inside the coil of the AT Pro's 11" coil can work with other Garrett metal detectors. Some manufactures claim to fame for their products are multi frequency detectors, however these must still play within the same parameters as mentioned above. Symmetric frequency is most often spoken involving stringed instruments. Its the range of frequency waves a single string can make that match that strings performance. Metal Detectors use frequency sound waves to penetrate the ground.
The construction of the mentioned NEL coil is such that a AT Pro and AT Gold coils are completely different and should not be used between units.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
The multi frequency comments and confusion for the Garrett AT line is really about the ability to change the bandwidth balance to correct or remove interference when detecting near similar frequency machines. you push the frequency shift feature to not be directly on the same frequency some one else is or to get rid of interference from over head wires, radio's or other things ect, around the area your hunting.
Hope this helped. good luck stay gold!!

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ATP has 4 different channels. Is there a way to know how much would be the frequency's output on each of the channels? Ok it will be on the 15 khz range but just for the sake of knowing. I think I saw a frequency sensor connected to a volt meter and it was giving the detector's khz's output on a video I saw on youtube.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ATP has 4 different channels. Is there a way to know how much would be the frequency's output on each of the channels? Ok it will be on the 15 khz range but just for the sake of knowing. I think I saw a frequency sensor connected to a volt meter and it was giving the detector's khz's output on a video I saw on youtube.

Here is what I found:

Sorry for the delay in doing this test but I went out metal detecting yesterday.

The frequency test I did was using the 9X12 concentric coil because that is what I have on the detector at the moment.
I doubt if it would be much different with the standard 8 1/2X11 DD coil.

Here are the actual frequencies:
F1 = 15,465 hz
F2 = 15,368 hz
F3 = 15,292 hz
F4 = 15,198 hz

Here is the frequency shifts:
F1 - F2 = 97 hz
F2 - F3 = 76 hz
F3 - F4 = 95 hz
F4 - F1 = 197 hz

As you can see the changes are small with the largest being between F1 and F4

I hope this sheds some light on the matter.

Jerry

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is what I found:

Sorry for the delay in doing this test but I went out metal detecting yesterday.

The frequency test I did was using the 9X12 concentric coil because that is what I have on the detector at the moment.
I doubt if it would be much different with the standard 8 1/2X11 DD coil.

Here are the actual frequencies:
F1 = 15,465 hz
F2 = 15,368 hz
F3 = 15,292 hz
F4 = 15,198 hz

Here is the frequency shifts:
F1 - F2 = 97 hz
F2 - F3 = 76 hz
F3 - F4 = 95 hz
F4 - F1 = 197 hz

As you can see the changes are small with the largest being between F1 and F4

I hope this sheds some light on the matter.

Jerry

Awesome help bro! Thanks!

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to add more info on the subject. The lower the frequency the deeper it can go right? If your going nugget hunting leave it on F1. For deep coins and silver then shift to F4. It's a small matter but hey, everything helps right?!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread