ATPro or MXSport?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are you going to hunt and where? Freshwater, saltwater?

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get ready for a pissing match :BangHead: lol

Channon

Feb 8, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my AT Pro. Can't speak for the MX Sport

OP
OP
kenonimo

kenonimo

Nov 25, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will be hunting everywhere. Live near beach, couple small lakes and some fields

OP
OP
kenonimo

kenonimo

Nov 25, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just watched some air tests on you tube, seems like the MX gets deepr

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MX is new kid on the block. I run AT Pro and happy

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are promoting the new Whites machine hard. It is a freshwater machine no matter what they tell you - so is the AT Pro. Both are good machines, so it comes down to personal preference. I use three different machines for hunts like yours - Tesoro Tiger Shark in freshwater lakes, rivers and streams; Tesoro Vaquero on land and in dry sand; and the Tesoro Sand Shark in wet Saltwater sand and in saltwater.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's forum suicide to say anything that could be construed as negative about the atpro. I want to buy the new whites simply because of some of the features it has the Garrett doesn't. I prefer a threshold and the ability to change tones. I just sold an atpro, they work fine just wasn't for me.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
AT Pro is a proven machine.

Channon

Feb 8, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt fresh/salt water beaches, fields, parks, and some 1700's cellar holes. My machine has found IH pennies at 10 inches. I know there are better machines but for it's price and versatility you can't go wrong in my opinion

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is nothing wrong with the ATP that a wrap around a tree can't fix. :laughing7: Now that I have you attention......

No, it is a single freq. machine so it will false on wet saltwater sand and water at some beaches where you can't tell a target from a false signal. It is a good detector in the dry beach sand or in freshwater or plain land hunting. A golfer carries different clubs for different shots an we must adjust too.

Channon

Feb 8, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is nothing wrong with the ATP that a wrap around a tree can't fix. :laughing7: Now that I have you attention......

No, it is a single freq. machine so it will false on wet saltwater sand and water at some beaches where you can't tell a target from a false signal. It is a good detector in the dry beach sand or in freshwater or plain land hunting. A golfer carries different clubs for different shots an we must adjust too.

I use mine in saltwater and I still find stuff. I just have to turn the sensitivity down. The gentleman who started this thread isn't looking for a beach machine. He's looking for a single one that can be used at very different sites. The Pro's ground balancing makes it easy to do so.

Obviously if we all had enough money we would buy a machine for each situation we might encounter but that is not the case here.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I would think the first question is what are you upgrading from, and where do you plan to hunt.

Also, we should wait until the Whites machine is in the field for a bit before assigning an opinion to it.

I have a few Whites and they make a quality machine, and stand behind their product.

I am sure that AT Pro users will say the same.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you live near the beach it would be Safari, Explorer, Etrac or CTX and/or Excalibur no doubt about how well multiple freq machines work on wet salt. The safari can be bought used with warranty for what an ATP costs

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hard to make a fair comparison as the MXSport hasn't been available long enough compared to the AT, imho so not nearly as many folks to comment on the pros and cons concerning it.
luvsdux

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I have read, the jury is still out on the MX Sport. Some software issues requiring units to be sent back for reprogramming, balance isn't the greatest with the stock coil, and some have said it feels too heavy. I haven't given up buying one, but I am giving it six months for the bugs to get worked out and the reviews to come in. And because of the potential weight issue, I'll buy from a local dealer where I can get a feel for it before purchasing,

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT pro has now a proven history. The MXS started off rough and needed to be returned for an up grade. Now it is being reported that many of the returned MXS's still have issues and now have to be returned again. Best stay with the proven unit. Give whites a couple more months and they will probably figure it out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread