Atwater & Carter Grocers Jug

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Hit a bunch of sales this morning without a lot of success. I picked up a bunch of stained glass for a good price. Some I'll use & will sell the rest to another stained glass guy I know. That should pay for gas. I also picked up this really cool jug. It's about 8" tall by 6-1/2" diameter. I've done a little research & it looks like they were in business in the mid to late 1800's. Any information on history and/or value would be appreciated.
002.JPG 001.JPG 003.JPG

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a sweet looking stoneware piece, and IMO, the handle and pour spout make it a less common form than the standard stoneware jug or crock. Nice strong debossing too. I don't know anything about the company, but I would guess 1890 - 1910 or so.

I'd post it here, there's lots of New Jersey collectors there that should be able to shed some light on it. Good luck!

Antique Bottles Forum

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Albany slip stoneware jug. Probably for syrup or molasses with a spout like that. Half gallon i'm guessing on those dimensions. I'd start it at $159.99 myself, see if it gets any bites. I think it's a good one, definitely a rare one i'd think with that particular Grocer's stamp on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread