Curtis416

Nov 11, 2013
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Looking
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone!

Let me start out by saying i'm a newbie and have never detected, but have been interested in this hobby for quite some time now. I live in los angeles and plan to detect at my local beaches, parks, and lakes. Treasure first and then gold secondary are my primary targets. I only want one detector. Not really into experimenting with different brands, models, etc..... I just want what is going to be the best for me right now and the future. Learning curve and price aside, the two, VERY different models i have narrowed it down to are the new ATX and the At pro. I know the ATX is a PI and the at pro is vlf, but i really don't know which one will serve me best? Any of you experts out there - your help and advice is appreciated!!

Last edited:

jackedliberty

Oct 5, 2013
Hagerstown, MD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert by far, but the ATX will pretty much do everything you've ever wanted and more, including being submersible in water up to 10 feet. It is really really good for gold nugget hunting as well, from what I understand. It will do much better in wet sand and saltwater than the AT Pro due to the pulse induction.

However, the AT Pro is the best bang for buck and will detect a lot that the ATX will as well, but maybe not as far down and won't do as well in saltwater (but still pretty well). If you're new to the hobby like I am, I would suggest the AT Pro first.

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Hi Curtis,

Being new as you are and not knowing your budget, but you did list the areas you are planning on detecting, an AT Pro would be a good all purpose fit.

I'm thinking about an ATX only because my main goal is to use it in the surf (without a lot of trash) to search deeper and quieter then my AT Pro. You can't go wrong using an AT Pro in all the areas that you listed to cut through the trash and find all the treasure.

Welcome Aboard and Good Luck to You

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Curtis416

Nov 11, 2013
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Looking
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Curtis you will probably be happier with a vlf to start.

Thanks for all the responses!
Just curious, gleaner1, why would i be happier with a vlf to start? I do want this to be my first,
Last, and only purchase.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
A vlf scrims well and may be easier on a totally green newb. If you want a pulse machine you should do well with the atx. By the way there are other machines out there Tesoro, Whites, Fisher, Minelab, to name some. Ever hear of them?. Good luck Curtis....I bet you buy more than one machine before dirt nappy time.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want it to be the last detector you ever buy get a high end vlf machine like a White's V3i, CTX 3030, XP Dues, Minelab etc. The ATPro is a good mid range detector and I own one along with a V3i. Anyone who thinks there is no difference or advantage in a high end detector over an ATPro is either kidding themselves or have never had a chance to swing one.

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In what locations/situation would the AT PRO be easier and or better to use than the ATX?

Areas with a lot of trash, which is a lot of areas. An ATX, to a point, will not know a the difference between a Nickel and a pull tab, a penny and a ring, a foil wad and a ring, and on and on. With an AT Pro, you will dig all the different combinations of bits and pieces of pull tabs to find rings and jewerly, and you will hear all the different tones that different metals make.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the AT Pro for the Parks, countryside and occasionally beach but when I'm in the water knee high or wet sand then I prefer my Excalibur II.
The AT Pro is great for relic hunting, dry sand and parks but I have zero experience with the ATX.
If the ATX is a PI machine it will see all the targets, trash and all, unless it can discriminate. A feature most PI machines don't have.
So in trashy areas like parks the "dig it all" PI unit will keep you busy cleaning up the place from the trash! LOL!
(Trash is foil, pulltabs, cans, etc.)
Good luck!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro hands down, unless you want to pull your hair out and become frustrated while learning the hobby.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Get the AT Pro. It can do probably 80% of what the ATX can do. The ATX is not a do it all detector. It is more of a niche detector, accelerating over most other units for gold prospecting, beach hunting, some relic hunting and water hunting in some of the more highly mineralized areas. There is a learning curve to the ATX. It does not fair well in trashy areas. Most of the buyers are people who have a substantial background in metal detecting, and know exactly what they want out it.

Get the AT Pro......nice depth, nice discrimination, nice audio, water proof and can work in nearly all environments. You can always upgrade later.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

John

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
In what locations/situation would the AT PRO be easier and or better to use than the ATX?

One situation I can think of where the AT Pro would be easier over the ATX is in the weight and swinging it for four hours:
AT Pro = 3.03 lbs (1.4kgs)
ATX = 5.50 lbs ( 2.5kgs)

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
`
One situation I can think of where the AT Pro would be easier over the ATX is in the weight and swinging it for four hours:
AT Pro = 3.03 lbs (1.4kgs)
ATX = 5.50 lbs ( 2.5kgs)

But you neglected to say that the ATX is so advanced, it carries it's own weight, and swings itself.

Just messing with ya RG

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Areas with a lot of trash, which is a lot of areas. An ATX, to a point, will not know a the difference between a Nickel and a pull tab, a penny and a ring, a foil wad and a ring, and on and on. With an AT Pro, you will dig all the different combinations of bits and pieces of pull tabs to find rings and jewerly, and you will hear all the different tones that different metals make.

Great answer! ;)

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The At pro is a good all around detector. It does very well at parks and can hunt lakes and beaches. Its only weakness is wet sand beaches. It will sing off quite a bit there and might drive some crazy . Even so i was able to find a ring about 6 inches in the wet sand at a local beach i hit with the At pro. Pi machines shine and are best in lake or beach environments where there is heavy minerals and black sand. The best for hunting would be a pi for beaches and a vlf like the At pro for everything else. But if i could only have one detector because of its weatherproofing and excellent performance the At pro would be my choice.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The At pro is a good all around detector. It does very well at parks and can hunt lakes and beaches. Its only weakness is wet sand beaches. It will sing off quite a bit there and might drive some crazy . Even so i was able to find a ring about 6 inches in the wet sand at a local beach i hit with the At pro. Pi machines shine and are best in lake or beach environments where there is heavy minerals and black sand. The best for hunting would be a pi for beaches and a vlf like the At pro for everything else. But if i could only have one detector because of its weatherproofing and excellent performance the At pro would be my choice.

Great post but wanted to be clear, salt water beaches it doesn't do well. Fresh water it does great.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread