ATX

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For one thing the GTX is a pulse unit while the Garrett 2500 is a VLF.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
The ATX has it's strengths noted with gold hunting, relic hunting and water hunting in extremely mineralized soils/water maintaining excellent depth. The GTI's strengths lie with sizing an object, good id characteristics in the upper stratum of low to moderate mineralization. The true all metal mode is also good for all types of hunting, except in the water. Only the coil is waterproof. The ATX is completely water proof to 3 meters.

Is the ATX better? You are comparing apples and oranges and a significant price difference.

Below is a previous post relic hunting with the ATX

harveys_zps69ecd48b.jpg~original

A cold morning it was. There actually was frost on the pumpkins which my wife has on the front porch. My buddy and I met at Harvey's for a great breakfast. We needed those calories to stay warm......

ice_zps66909614.jpg~original

So much for water hunting.....everything is frozen. Now that is a problem.......However, the place is old, and we just had to switch gears and stick with land hunting.

129penny_zps2902d251.jpg~original

Here's my first low-high signal and what a surprise! A 1929 Canadian Penny found in an area hunted to death. The oxides that coat coins at this area sometimes make VLF detectors read coins as junk.
8coilcoins_zps035778dd.jpg~original

After about an hour or so, I got a hit, then another, then another until I finally stopped at 8 coins. There were just about toast with all the oxide eating away at them. One had a reeded edge suggesting a dime.

coat_zps545ce4eb.jpg~original

Must be my day for coins....Have you ever passed by a piece of clothing, wondering if there might be any coins left behind in a pocket? Well, I passed over this old jacket, torn to shreds, yet got a loud high-low signal. Suggesting that it might be coin(s), I unfolded the jacket and found a clump of older coins all clumped together with rust. I have them soaking at home in water with a slight touch of vinegar to help break them apart.
all_zps8781f5f7.jpg~original

Here's the total finds including all the junk. Some of the tiny targets came in at the 6" mark, with some spare distance between the coil and dirt.

stats_zps73acc92b.jpg~original

Here are the measurements in inches of some of the targets I dug today. My sensitivity was set at 11 and threshold at 6, ground balanced and set using auto-track.

Below are my rings found with the ATX

. ALL ATX RINGS.jpg

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Wow John! The ATX just came out not too long ago and you've found a nice pile of rings and gold already! Very impressive. Was most finds in the water? You must hunt quite often! My goal this summer is to find 100g of gold. I'll take more of course but that's my # for 2014. Congrats on those treasures!

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Wow John! The ATX just came out not too long ago and you've found a nice pile of rings and gold already! Very impressive. Was most finds in the water? You must hunt quite often! My goal this summer is to find 100g of gold. I'll take more of course but that's my # for 2014. Congrats on those treasures!

In the summer months, I try to hunt each and every day after work, and weekends I hunt lakes weather permitting of course. The winter slows me way down, but it's nice to get out occasionally. Some people have a dog to get them outside.....my kids have allergies, so I use my detector as a means to get out. It's not always about the finds, it's the hunt which gives me great satisfaction.

Good luck with your goal of 100 grams this year. Location location location + determination will get you there.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Way to go! Yeah the winter months slow me down too. I'm in MB Canada, so hunting is limited through the winter. Can't wait for the lakes to melt! Thanks! and good luck to you as well!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats the difference between pulse and VLF.

If u dont have very mineralized ground or are a very serious relic or gold nugget hunter, than u want a VLF machine and u should probably compare the 2500 to the ATPro. The PI machines will offer very little in discrimination or target ID. Making them harder to use went hunting the normal trashy parks and homesites.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, but it almost put me to sleep! :laughing7:

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Way to go! Yeah the winter months slow me down too. I'm in MB Canada, so hunting is limited through the winter. Can't wait for the lakes to melt! Thanks! and good luck to you as well!

I hear you on that point. Back to the minus mid 20's this weekend........ What ever happened to global warming?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions