Au spot - % =? $ ,. ?

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Hi all,. never posted down here in the "PM's" forum before ,. but,. come on down time to time for a read .
This is my question I'd like to ask ya'll . What should I get when selling my scrap gold ,. 66%,.. 80%,.. 90%,..?? of spot .
Now,. heres my story why I ask . About 18 mo. ago I bought my house , and I needed to do a bit of work to it right-off ,. and thought I might need a few $ to do it . So ,. quick cash ? sell some P.M's ,. easy!! So,. my silver ,.coin,.bar,. jewelry stock [sheet,wire , casting shot,etc,],.. I THINK NOT !! But the Au,. sure ,.why not ? So ,went through it , picked out the scrap I didn't care to keep ,. casting sprue's , dental , old ring's ,etc . Baged & taged. I went on down to a good/fair coin dealer I've dealt with some years before . I let him weigh a few things and he said he'd pay this for that ,that for this ,.. . It was becoming aparente ,. he was paying 66% spot . I told him "I'd think about it ,. if I needed the cash" . But he knew that I knew . He even said ,." there lining up to sell ,. and they really were !! So,. after that I made a few calls ,. no one ,. not one ,. had the balls to say '" yeah ,. we buy gold at ? % spot" !! so,. yet another question ,. is my good/fair coin dealer ,. just "cought -up in the moment",. or yet another balless SOB ,. there are so many of these already out here in So Cali ,.
Anyway ,. I never needed that cash for the house ,. but today ,. I have a "want" ,. and it's not coming out of my pay-check ,. this is for the family . A bit of Au scrap will do for my "wants" and needs .
Thank You ,. Blindpig

Last edited:

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up refineries and see what they pay. Provident metals buys too, but they have a minimum amount that they will buy. I've never scrapped gold, just silver so I can't help much. Skeeter

echodog

Oct 29, 2012
eBay is your answer it's a pain but the price you will receive will beat what you find anywhere else. I have even got more than spot a few times and it's safe. Just be very precise with the description , weight and set a minimum at say 85% of spot and let the idiots have at it! Good luck!

OP
OP
blindpig

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Hay thanks there Skeeterd ,. had the same idea ,. well ,. saw a web site to one ,. claimed to "pay up to 99% spot" ,. thought maybe ,. just maybe I could get 90% spot there ? Spured on by your words here ,. well, I'll relate the chain of events on my quest for 90% / or better spot buy.
I did call this "Gold-refinery" thursday , talked to a young lady ,. cutting though the chase ,and gett'n to the bottom line ,. 85% no problem ,. 90% possable ,. just tell 'em when I came in "we talked" ,. with a full Oz. of Au. ,.. O.K. fair .
O.K. fair ,. full Oz. Au. only need $1200 for my new "want" ,. but a few extra $ for bul,...lets say ,. batterys ,. yes,.daddy's new toy needs lots of batterys so,. thursday night got the scrap Au. out [see pic ] ,. picked out the glass frams ,. they just don't fit in the bag well ? so , 22.2 g 18k & 23.0?g 14k ,. =16.65g+13.34g Au a bit shy of the magic oz. of Au. so picked out 8g 18k ring & 7.5 g 14k ring ,. now , a bit more then the magic Oz. But hay , one can always use more batterys ,. right ??
So ,. Friday , morn I'm set ,. 30g 18k & 30g 14k ,. I'm going to call this "refinery" before I leave ,. only to find out that they will only pay 85%spot . Also found a business card of a local dealer in the bag of scrap [stoped in there 18mo ago] ,. figured I'd give him a shot at pay'n 90% before driving a good 45 min down to San Diego. I called the local fella ,. he ansered ,. 92%.. but he was closed ,. be open monday -thursday ,. and he believed thursdays 14k buy was $26 g ,. come in monday. I did the math ,. $26g on 14k would be only 86% on the thursday spot. So now I figure ,. not all dealers are ball-less ,. this one seem's to have plenty !!
So ,. now I'm back to call'n the "refinery" ,.. talked to a fella /dude ,. told him about the call on thursday ,. and the 30g 18k &30g 14k etc. and whats the bottom line ,. 85% or 90%?? ,. He told me "the general public doesn't get the 90% , but theres a refinery [I did call the refinery?] the next door over in the building ,. and if you let them make an ingot from your gold ,. then he would buy it for 90% spot . Now,. I don't know how many ways one could be screwed over "next Door" ,. and I never whent down to San Diego to find out .
So ,. best so far here in So.Cali is 86% spot or is it 92% , .. all in how ya do the math ??

Like the way ya think there Echodog ,. never sold a thing on ebay ., sell'n & buy'n gold on ebay just sounds like an accident just wait'n to happen ?? don't know why ?? Supose ,. I could cast a few coins from this scrap ?? Hmm,.. the "Golden Fly'n PIg" ,.. Ohh,. The 2013 Duoble Fly'n Pig in put near 14k /or dang close to it anyway/ WHITE GOLD ,. the only one in EXISTENCE ,. let the bidding begin !!... could work ??

At 86% spot here in SO. Cal ,.. Blindpig

Attachments

• DSC07878rs900x675.jpg
    DSC07878rs900x675.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blindpig, midwest refineries say they will pay 95% of actual gold content according to their sebsite. I've never used them, but you might give them a call and see what they say. Others have told me they are a reputable place.

I understand your situation needing bul..., I mean batteries for your toy. I never seem to have enough batteries for all my toys either!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread