AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!!!

Grimnar

Mar 22, 2006
Vic
Hi,
This is just to help those who were wondering about Jesuits in Australia .

The Society of Jesus (Jesuits) have been in Australia for the past 159 years.

In 1848, Jesuits from the Austro-Hungarian Empire were sent into exile, and two young priests, ordained only six weeks, emigrated to the 12-year-old colony of South Australia.

Arrival at Port Adelaide on 8 December of Fr's Kranewitter and Klinkowstroem as Chaplains to 150 Silesian immigrants.

Sevenhill property acquired. Arrival of Br's John Schreiner and George Sadler. Br Schreiner plants first vines.

Jesuits given spiritual charge for the area of the colony the size of France. Beginning of month-long horseback missionary journeys, to stations 250 miles north of Sevenhill, and covering an area of 40,000 square kilometres.

Saint Francis Xavier's Church built at Bomburney, SA, now an abandoned town. This was the first Jesuit church built in Australia.

Start of building of College at Sevenhill.

1856-86
Saint Aloysius' College, Sevenhill functioned as a boys' secondary boarding school (c. 450 pupils), a seminary, novitiate, mission centre and 'mother house'.

[Between 1848 and 1880, 27 churches and 26 schools were built from Sevenhill. By the nineties, the number of stone churches built was at least 30, besides those made of wood and iron, and the schools and halls. Sevenhill built the foundations of the Port Augusta diocese.]

Start made to Saint Aloysius' Church, Sevenhill.

First Irish Jesuits arrive in Melbourne to reopen Saint Patrick's College as a boys' college and an Ecclesiastical Seminary.

First death of a Jesuit in Australia (Br Sadler) and first Australian enters the Society (for the Austrian mission).

Irish Jesuits undertake the Richmond 'mission' in Melbourne, comprising Richmond, Hawthorn, Kew, Camberwell and Nunawading.

Arrival of Fr Joseph Dalton, as the first Irish Superior.

Opening up of Port Lincoln area with missions from Sevenhill.

Foundation stones laid of churches in Richmond and Hawthorn, Melbourne (opened in 1870 and 1869 respectively).

Jesuits take over Norwood area, Adelaide, comprising Norwood, Burnside, Rose Park, Toorak, Stepney, Saint Peters, Kent Town, Hectorville, Magill, Tranmere and Athelstone.

Fr Kranewitter transferred to Melbourne.

[By this date there were seven Jesuit Irish priests in Melbourne, and in South Australia, the Austrian mission, there were eight priests, three scholastics, eight brothers and two novices.]

Mother Mary MacKillop, excommunicated foundress of the Josephite Sisters, takes refuge in Saint Ignatius' Church, Norwood

New church at Clare, SA. Opening of the 'Collegiate School of Saint Francis Xavier', in Franklin Street, Adelaide. Closed 1874.

Supreme Court trial of Jesuit Superior of Irish Mission on a charge of kidnapping! (p.s. acquitted).

Parish of North Sydney, from Lavender Bay to the Hawkesbury accepted. Church of Saint Leonard's, Sydney commenced. Land bought at Lane Cove, for Riverview. Opening of Xavier College, Melbourne. Opening of Saint Aloysius College, Dunedin, N.Z. (closed 1883) and parish of Invercargill (handed over 1889).

Day school, 'St Kilda House' commenced in Sydney; later to become Saint Aloysius' College, first at Surry Hills, then at Milson's Point, Sydney, in 1903.

Beginning of Saint Ignatius' College, Riverview, Sydney.

1882-89
Mission to the Aborigines of the Northern Territory; conducted by the Austrian Jesuits. Nineteen Jesuits, eight priests and eleven brothers, were to labour in four mission stations in the Territory. All save five came directly from Austria-Hungary. One of the stations was at Palmerston (Darwin) and the other three along the Daly River, where Europeans had not been seen before. Their missiology was based on that of the Jesuit Reductions in Paraguay, and they had contact with some hundreds of indigenous people.

Irish Jesuits open a novitiate in Richmond, Melbourne. Transferred to Xavier College in 1886.

Second station opened in Northern Territory, on the Daly, 'Old Uniya'.

Third station opened in Northern Territory at Serpentine Lagoon, twenty miles west of the Daly.

The merger of the Austrian and Irish Missions decided upon. As a preliminary, all save two of the Jesuit parishes in South Australia are to be handed over gradually to diocesan priests.

Irish novitiate transferred from Xavier to Loyola, Greenwich, NSW.

Closing of three stations in Northern Territory. Concentrated effort now upon a new, fourth one (New Uniya) on the Daly.

School commenced in Darwin, NT, for aboriginal and non-aboriginal children (closed 1901).

Closing of the mission to the aborigines along the Daly River, NT.

Amalgamation of the Austrian and Irish Missions, under the latter.

[By that date, Irish Jesuits numbered eighty. A total of 59 Austrians had worked in SA and the NT. Given the option of remaining in Australia or returning to Austria, 28 (13 priests and 15 brothers) remained, and 17 returned, including the first Australian to have entered.]

Last Jesuits withdrawn from Darwin, NT.

Riverview Observatory begins as the only fully-equipped seismological observatory in Australia, as well as an astronomical and meteorological observatory.

First Jesuit foundation in Queensland; parish of Toowong and Indooroopilly.

Beginning of Newman College, Catholic University College at Melbourne University. Archbishop Mannix asks Jesuits to staff it.

Opening of Burke Hall, preparatory school for Xavier College.

At the invitation of the Victorian bishops, the Society undertakes to staff the Seminary for Diocesan Priests at Werribee.

Jesuits undertake the Central Catholic Library, Melbourne.

Irish Jesuit Mission to Australia becomes an independent Vice-Province of the Society of Jesus.

Loyola College, Watsonia, Vic, opened as a noviceship, retreat house and philosophate for the Society in Australia.

Kostka Hall begun as a second Preparatory School for Xavier.

First Jesuit foundation in WA-Saint Louis School, Claremont.

Canisius College, Pymble, NSW, opened as a Jesuit Theologate.

New Zealand bishops ask Society to provide professorial staff for Holy Name Seminary, Christchurch.

Opening of Campion Hall at Pott's Point, as a Riverview Preparatory School; closed at end of 1953.

Centenary of coming of the Austrian Jesuits; last-surviving Austrian, Fr John Pfeifer, dies in the same year.

Australia set up as a full Province of the Society of Jesus.

Archbishop Beovich asks the Society to conduct Aquinas College, Catholic Residential College at the University of Adelaide.

Foundation of the Institute of Social Order, for adult education in Catholic social philosophy, publishing Social Survey and Twentieth Century.

Opening of Saint Ignatius' College, Norwood.

First six Australian Jesuits set out for Bihar, Northern India.

[By 1970, the Hazaribag mission had grown to 75 men, of whom 39 were Australians and 36 were Indians who had joined the Society. There were 41 priests, 25 scholastics and 9 brothers working amongst the five million people of the district. Under Jesuit sponsorship were seven stations, each supplying numbers of parishes and 79 village schools which contained over 4000 village children. In addition to the parish circuits of dozens of villages and catechists' schools, there were three large secondary schools staffed by Jesuits and containing over 3000 students, a Teachers' Training Institute, Agricultural Institute, and a novitiate.]

Saint Leo's University College, University of Queensland, entrusted to the Society. Saint Thomas More University College, University of Perth, entrusted to the Society.

Beginning of parish of Attadale, WA.

Campion College established as House of Studies for Jesuit scholastics.

Bishops of Victoria and Tasmania invite the Society to provide the faculty for the newly completed Corpus Christi Theological Seminary at Glen Waverley, Vic.

Archbishop Young invites the Society to establish and conduct Saint John Fisher College for male students at the University of Hobart, Tasmania.

Beginning of rebuilding of Saint Aloysius' College, Milson's Point.

Opening of a new school, St Ignatius' College, at Athelstone, S.A. Foundation of Institute of Social Order and University chaplaincy founded, Port Moresby as first Jesuit foundations in Papa New Guinea.

Archbishop of Melbourne takes over Saint Patrick's College (founded 1854, Jesuit management 1865) for administrative purposes. Visit to Australia of Very Reverend Father Pedro Arrupe, General of the Society of Jesus.

Transfer of Theologate from Canisius College, Pymble to Parkville, Melbourne with the (ecumenical) United Faculty of Theology; 7 professors and 22 scholastics.

Fourteen Jesuits working as chaplains to Spanish, Italian, Maltese, Polish, Lithuanian, Latvian and Hungarian immigrants; one Jesuit as Army Chaplain.

Formation of Asian Bureau Australia.

Founding of Xavier House, Canberra House of Writers.

Rectorship of Glen Waverley seminary passes to diocesan clergy.

Saint Louis School, Perth, and parish at Attadale handed over to diocese.

Commencement of extra-presbytery ministry, Salisbury North, SA.

Four scholastics sent to Indonesia and aboriginal missions.

Transfer of novitiate to Canisius College, Sydney; 12 scholastic and 3 brother novices. Extra presbytery ministry at Richmond, Vic.

32nd General Congregation of the Society of Jesus, Rome.

Magazine Twentieth Century ceases publication.

Foundation of Ignatian Centre of Spirituality, Pymble, NSW.

Three priests to mission in Philippines, Thailand and India.

Opening of 'Four Flats', halfway house for young offenders, Melbourne.

Jesuits assume management of Corpus Christi, home for homeless alcoholics, Greenvale, Melbourne.

Formation of John XXIII College, Perth-Jesuit headmaster.

Retreat house commences at Sevenhill, SA.

Retreat house commences at Boroko, Papua New Guinea.

Retreat house commences at Campion College, Vic.

Jesuit founding headmaster of Saint Thomas More College, SA.

Commencement of street ministry for homeless youth, St Kilda, Vic.

Commencement of ministry to Vietnamese refugees, SA.

Foundation of Townsville residence for aboriginal apostolate.

Rectorship of New Zealand seminary assumed by diocese.

Foundation of Catholic Regional College, Sydenham, Vic. Jesuit sponsored (withdrawn 1985).

Commencement of Jesuit Refugee Service.

Australian Province assumes responsibility for Pakistan mission: 4 priests and 2 brothers at a university centre and parish.

Withdrawal from Papua New Guinea.

Mark Raper SJ, appointed to head South East Asia Jesuit Refugee Service.

Commencement of University apostolate in New Zealand, 2 priests.

(January) Assembly of the whole Jesuit Province. (December) Father General of the Society of Jesus, Peter-Hans Kolvenbach SJ, visits.

Jesuits assume responsibility for Saint Canice's parish in Kings Cross.

Eureka Street begins publication as a magazine of the arts, public affairs and theology.

Opening of Saint Aloysius' Junior School Burton St, Milson's Point.

Official Opening of Loyola College, Mt Druitt.

Australian Catholics magazine begins publication.

34th General Congregation.

Jesuit Alumni/ae Association World Congress at Riverview.

The Austrian Jesuit provincial visits Australia to commemorate the 1848 landing.

As you can see from above the Jesuits who came to Australia were here to tend the Lords flock, so to speak.
Unfortunately unlike the US and Mexico, we don't have the great stories of Lost Mines and Fabulous Treasure to hunt for.

Grim

Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Famous-Trails-MD9100 ACE250-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FAR OUT BRUSSEL SPROUT!!!!!!! An Aussie section G'day blokes!
:)

Wow we have to have a meet up and catch up one weekend in March, have some beers and swing some detectors!

P.S: Hope you guys are all well and safe from the flood waters... to many rain dances (I reckon it all the rain dances are on "so you think you can dance" haha my wife loves that show *Tom rolls eyes*)

P.S.S: Happy Valentines

ausbatt

Greenie
Mar 26, 2008
hi there i am in the south east also near crows nest do alot of traviling to the coast also just new at this game look forward to sharing some good finds

Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome ausbatt - hope to read some of your posts

slak jak

Mar 13, 2008
melbourne australia
Detector(s) used
whites pi 1000 x2. quatro , ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
slak jak here , looks like i came in late , new member , from melbourne vic .
new to the computer , too old really but try to learn so bare with me .
sounds like a good site . i work the beaches in @ out of water . glad to meet you all ,,slak jak .

finders.keepers

Oct 28, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
hey slak jak, i met you on a beech not that long ago, stoped for a chat before me and me buddy went for a look around.
how has the hunting been and if I remember right the x-terra 70?

R

Relics

Gidday all. After leaving, decided to come back to the forum. Done heaps of detecting and finally got my open Water Diver certification too, something I've wanted to do for a while now. I've been detecting on a few of my favorite old haunts, and some new ones too, pulling out a stack of great relics, but alas, still no gold sovereign. I'm detecting in all the right places I believe, so maybe one day I'll get that ring of gold in my hand after wiping the dirt off! In the meantime I'm still finding the usual great old English/British coins. Nice to see a few old 'faces' here still going strong like Tinpan, Teejay, and I see that you've also joined this wacky bunch Finders Keepers! Catch you all later!
Relics (Angela) :icon_sunny:

finders.keepers

Oct 28, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Hey there relics, yeh this is where drew found me and introduced me to you guys. I read the posts here nearly every day..
(such a junky). Love all the storys and advise, lot's of people to learn from.

:occasion14:

Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Relics,
Tommi the pirate - I can't get on your site, keeps coming up as page not found?
Don't know whats going on, can you pm me the url maybe I'm typing it in wrong.

Cheers
Tom.

vegemite

Jan 21, 2008
West Aust.
Detector(s) used
White's: MXT,V3i Minelab: Excalibur 1k
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'day you lot, holding up the west coast side of things here, name's Veg, myself and a couple of other enthusiasts usually hunt together once a week. Like chasing the old pre decimals, for me nothing of any value in that department as yet, still early days.

Pic is of an early Police Station on the road to the goldfields here in the West.

Regards all,
Veg.

Attachments

• Youndegin.jpg
    Youndegin.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 437

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.
My name is Brian, and I was born in Louisiana and currently live in Louisiana.

However, I married an Australian and lived in Sydney for 2 1/2 years and in Nowra, NSW for another 2 1/2. During that time, I became a citizen.

I love Australia and would have been happy living there for the rest of my life, but oppurtunities presented themselves at home here in Louisiana, and was the right choice for my family and I to move back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions