Austin man makes thousands dumpster diving

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Saw this today, don't know if he's on here or not: Austin man makes thousands dumpster diving

A North Austin business owner and security expert is making thousands of dollars by finding new, unopened items and new, open items in dumpsters behind big-box retailers and sells the items on Craigslist, Amazon and EBay. Anything from electronics to furniture is up for grabs in the dumpsters, which are legal to search through as long as they are on public property and unlocked, Matt Malone tells KVUE.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my best friends and metal detecting buddy since 1972 quit his job as a Zerox repair technician almost 30 years ago and has just been dumpster diving and picking up trash along the road on trash days, and he makes around eighty grand a year. It's amazing what people throw out, he found a couple of gold 2&1/2 dollar gold pieces in an old discarded purse last year, and a Tiffany sterling vase black with tarnish but otherwise perfect out along the road last year. He took Karl Von Mueller's advise to heart after reading "Treasure Hunter's Manual #7", and has found more gold and silver in dumps and trash piles than most folks ever find with detectors.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He took Karl Von Mueller's advise to heart after reading "Treasure Hunter's Manual #7"
I have not read that book yet but it is on my bucket list.

As Von Mueller has said " it pays to shut up and fly low" If you are finding this much treasure don't tell anybody or it will ruin for all.

I know I have not followed that advice.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a trash collection business in Oklahoma and I am amazed at what is thrown out. I ebay some things. For instance, I got an accordian in a case and I had never played with one so I brought it home. Wife mad, Pack rat was used. Anyway looked on ebay and saw the exact same on going for $1200. Long story short that was the easiest free money I ever found. And that is one of many stories of your local trash man.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a storage unit once...
I walked over to big green dumpster to throw some garbage in...
when I opened lid it was full...
I looked for space to throw in...
on the side was small space...
when I looked down in I saw a roll of industrial wire under debri...
so I moved some more debri... more wire...
I spent almost an hour INSIDE the dumpster...
cashed wire out at recycler... 600 bucks and change..
the storage complex had cleaned out a unit and just threw it out.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif
Love these stories! :)

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always check the metals dumpster at our town recycling center. They are totally okay if you take anything as long as you dont jump in it. A couple months ago, I checked and the bin was way full all the way over the top. Right on the top of all the other metals was a box FULL of sterling silverware. Guess where it is now. Its all been checked too. Not one single plated - all solid sterling. It all weighed in at 12.6 pounds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread