AUSTIN, TX.

east tx digger

Jan 21, 2009
chandler, tx
Detector(s) used
whites xlt
If anyone is interested, several years ago,(14-16) next to the Crockett High School, Manchaca & Stassney Lane, there is a park. I did a little research and there was a camp at that site when volunteers were headed to fight at the ALAMO camped. I hunted the area and found a lot of bullets, harmonica reeds, and other interesting items. I don't know what the regulations are for the area now, but I had no problems when I hunted there. I know that I didn't get it all, as I only hunted a very small area, maybe 50 x 50 feet. Also woolridge park next to the Travis county courthouse, I hunted about the same time. In about an hour I found a 1922 peace dollar, 1864 2 cent piece, 1854 halfdime, and 1860 halfdime. I hope to return someday and hunt these areas again, just don't know when. I now live in Chandler, Tx. near Tyler, Tx. Hope someone can use this info. Good luck and HH. Hollis

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Wow, you had some good luck up on those sites!

Thank you for the info. Central Texans, get at it and HH!

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
I think I'll be in Austin over easter, taking the V machine, might have to check that out. Thanks, Sqwaby

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter lives in Pflugerville, TX, just north of Austin. I was hunting a park there one day and got to talking to a local guy who was interested in metal detecting. He was saying they didn't allow it in Austin. I don't know if he knew what he was talking about, but Austin is "different" than a lot of Texas cities. I have a T-shirt from Pflugerville and it (the city, not the t-shirt) is located between Red Rock and Austin. The T-shjirt says, "Pflugerville, between a rock and weird place"! Monty

OP
OP
east tx digger

east tx digger

Jan 21, 2009
chandler, tx
Detector(s) used
whites xlt
Monty, LOL...I like the T-shirt. I'm not sure about the regulations on Mding in Austin, I have never had any problems there, and I have hunted parks, schools, construction sites, etc. That doesn't mean the next person won't, but There is a lot of good places there. I would definately check into it before going. good Luck and HH.

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
I think you have to get a permit from the City of Austin Parks Dept to metal detect. The difficult part is getting them to issue you a permit. From what I've read they have them but don't give them out. This comes from the city who's logo is "keep Austin weird". Yep...they are weird. Bums and hippies have taken over that city.

OP
OP
east tx digger

east tx digger

Jan 21, 2009
chandler, tx
Detector(s) used
whites xlt
Yep, It use to be a nice place to live, I grew up around there and lived there for 30 years, but it has changed alot.

hollywould

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2009
Interesting. I literally live 4 blocks from Crockett High School. Just up Mancahca.

What side of the high school were you on? Quite a few little parks on all but the north side of the school. On the west side of Manchaca there is park, south side of the school there is a park, and another park on the west side.

Heard some good things about Woolridge. Even better things about the north side of Lady Bird Lake (Townlake) along the banks of the water just west of Boggy Creek Farm.

Let me know about the school! I'll have to walk over and check it out.

hollywould

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2009
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to make my way over and check the grounds. Just tell the better half that "I'm taking the dog for a walk." Knowing the dog, though, she'll probably rat me out when we get back home.

BubbaJon

Greenie
Nov 29, 2009
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes
Anything ever come of this tip? I just located to the area and was actually wondering if I should hang up the detector (i.e. sell). MD has been an on-off thing with me for 30 years - right now I have a Tesoro Cortes which is a surprisingly capable box - just tired of wondering and worrying about if I'm breaking the damned law. In some places a detector violation can get your detector confiscated along with your vehicle - like a Fish & Game poaching rap. Jeez Louise!
Anyway - thought I'd look up before I hang it up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread