Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Check out the Central States Archaeological Societies journal columns on Old Copper Culture.

There are a number of columns in the Central States Archaeological Societies (CSASI) journal written by E.J. Neiburger, a well-known copper collector and researcher.

He may be able to help you or guide you to someone who can.

You don't identify where you are located, but there are CSASI relic shows. A big show is coming up this Mar 15-17 in Collinsville Illinois.

The Difference Between Historic and Prehistoric “Old Copper”
NATIVE COPPER CHARACTERISTICS DEMONSTRATED IN THE "NEUBAUER PROCESS"
Tiny Old Copper Culture Conicals by E.J. Neiburger
Differentiating Archaic, Woodland and Mississippian Copper Artifacts by E.J. Neiburger

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Does anyone know of someone who can authenticate copper culture artifacts? Every authenticator I've tried basically said the same thing. They're not to keen on them and wouldn't feel comfortable doing so. I already know what it is and have a date range but I'd like to have it certified so I can put it in a museum.
If you give it to a museum you will never see it again.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeh the Smithsonian is out of question, but I'd loan it to the native American museum in benton Arkansas.
I like your thought and good intent, butttttt...I think the word "Forfeit" is now the new word for loan..."

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Does anyone know of someone who can authenticate copper culture artifacts? Every authenticator I've tried basically said the same thing. They're not to keen on them and wouldn't feel comfortable doing so. I already know what it is and have a date range but I'd like to have it certified so I can put it in a museum.
Would love to see it/them!

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Post them on Tnet let us have a look?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you give something to a museum it will probably go in a storage box somewhere. Only SMALL museums will display stuff. I have donated stuff and only one ever put anything on display. And it was a small state park nearby.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you give something to a museum it will probably go in a storage box somewhere. Only SMALL museums will display stuff. I have donated stuff and only one ever put anything on display. And it was a small state park nearby.
This is a common misunderstanding. There aren't any rooms full of storage boxes holding donations. The vast majority of museums sell donated objects to fund their operation.

The exceptions, as you noted, are the small local museums and large, old museums like The Met in New York. The Met sub sub basement still has hundreds of cannons and thousands? of mummies - stuff that's difficult or illegal to sell. Otherwise they too sell their donated objects to dealers.

If you want to make sure your donated objects are kept by the museum you need to write a restricted donation. Unless the donation fits the current museum needs your donation will be kindly refused. The reason is in the math - donated objects that aren't displayed cost money and resources to store and curate. Donated objects that are displayed AND bring visitors to the museum make money.

When the Asian Museum in San Fransisco moved to their new building 20 something years ago millions in art and antiquities from their public collection were secretly sold off to fund the operation. All of that occurred in the back parking lot out of sight of the public with individual private handshake cash deals over more than a year. Museums don't like the public to be aware of what are considered standard business practices in their industry.

OP
OP
Digginitdaily

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
Total length of the bell is about 3/4 inch. Minus the hanger it's 1/2.
I like your thought and good intent, butttttt...I think the word "Forfeit" is now the new word for loan..."

Attachments

• 20231005_165231.jpg
    20231005_165231.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20231005_165255.jpg
    20231005_165255.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 20231005_165322.jpg
    20231005_165322.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20231005_165330.jpg
    20231005_165330.jpg