Automax Precision V2 Pinpointer

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Not sure if this is posted anywhere else, but I contacted Tony at Kellyco concerning my Automax Precision V2 Pinpointer. I have been having trouble with the sensativity knob not silencing. He advised that if you take a screw out of the beltclip and rotate it out of the way there is an adjustment screw that can TUNE the knob. Hope this helps someone, can't wait to get home myself and try it out.

OP
OP
WV_Detecting

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
It worked like a charm :D...I also had a broken shaft on my other V2 pinpointer, used a pvc fitting and pvc primer/glue and fixed it right up as well, ready to tackle the great outdoors as soon as this damn snow/rain stops.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks For The Info For those Who May need It.

Happy Hunting, When the Weather Improves, I'm Waiting Also.

Jeff

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
I LOVE my V2! Unfortunately, I've lost it somewhere again (this is the second time)! Everything is so much harder without it.

vicki

S

SASQUASH

I have a V2 too but can get it to work. I will have to try that tuneing Thanks. SAS <><

OP
OP
WV_Detecting

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Glad to help, let me know Sas if you have any trouble, I may be able to help, also don't be afraid to call Kellyco and talk to someone, they were a big help...

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
I use a V2 -- don't know how I got by waving hand fulls of dirt over my detector time and time again -- makes recovery much much faster -- pinpointers are a must!! :o :o

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on my second Automax II. I like it fine but it is a bit large and bulky compared to some of the more expensive ones. My first one suffered a broken probe shaft. My fault entirely, I was pressing down too hard trying to use it as a probe instead of a pinpointer! Leon here on the forum gave me my second one, and I owe him big time! When I got it from Leon, I immediately put a fairly large ribbon of J.B. Weld around the area where the rod meets the body of the instrument. This has prevented any breakage even when I get a little too enthusiastic probing into a plug. Monty

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
my shaft broke on my V2 also -- I took it apart and cut a new notch in the plastic -- drilled new holes and put it back together. It is about 2 inches shorter now, but it works just like new and almost as sturdy.

OP
OP
WV_Detecting

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Mine tore up again, if only I would use it as a metal detecting probe and not a digging probe I would have better luck. Tore it apart, soldered some wires, glued again, works great. I think before it is all over with we would probably have quite the V2 repair database. Seems their thinking was in the right place with this thing but their design wasn't quite up to snuff. I think the next time this one goes down I am gonna build my own case for the electronics and make it more user friendly for me, a little smaller, maybe a small plastic scoop on the end for "bottom of the hole" digging ;D or at least put a big red tag on it to remind me not to dig with the thing. Anybody else got some personal repairs stories I would love to hear them, I am really liking the JB weld idea Monty had, I may do that next time.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can put the JB weld right over your repairs and it won't hurt a thing. I use the JB epoxy ribbon type as opposed to the metalic kind used for sealing mufflers. I figured the metal might interfere with the sensitivity. Monty

OP
OP
WV_Detecting

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Broke it again last week Monty and went with your advice...didn't use jb weld but a similar product and fashioned a thick "wrap" where the shaft meets the body. It seems to be doing really well, feels stronger for sure, I haven't gotten to the point yet where I have forgotten about it being repaired so I am still being really careful with it. Only time will tell how well this repair holds up. Thanks for the advice monty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions