AVERAGES CRHing

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
i was just wondering what the average is when searching boxes of coins.

1. how many dime boxes searched before you get a mercury dime?
2. how many half boxes before a franklin?
3. how many half boxes before a walking liberty?
4. how many quarter boxes before a silver washington?
5. how many quart. boxes before a standing liberty?
6. how many nickel boxes before a wartime?
7. how many nickel boxes before a buffalo?
8. how many cent boxes before an indian head?
9. how many dime and/or nickel boxes before a 2009?
10. how many quart./dime/nickel/cent/half boxes before a proof?
-thanks, chainchomp. :)

Upvote 0

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
CHAINCHOMP said:

#3 is all I can answer and I usually get several a month, sometimes as many as 7 in one weeks Boxes then the next two or so weeks none; think last year we found 48 . So far this year 18 , and 9 of them came in one weeks boxes.

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
Man!!! You should change your handle to OCD!! I like numbers probably more than alot of people, but that question is out there.

I have listed your questions in order from easiest to find to hardest to find. (In my opinion.)

6-9-4-1-2-7-10-3-8-5

Number 9 is tough because it should be getting easier to find as time goes on.

Hope this helps. The other guys will sound off where they don't agree with me.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
CHAINCHOMP said:

1. 5-6 boxes
2. 1 per 2 boxes
3. 1 per two boxes
4. 1 per 2 boxes
5. Never got one in a box or bag
6.&7. always get at least one buffalo or wartime nickel per box. Mostly wartime nickels
8.Never did cents
9.About 70 boxes of dimes before I got a 2009 box. Never got the 2009 nickels.
10. Only found silver and clad proof halves. One clad proof half dollar per box. One silver proof half dollar about every 136 boxes
HH
Rich

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to show you how averages can differ from one area to the next, compare my averages to Mr. Hartford's. But, do keep in mind that if I get a really good box soon, my averages will jump WAY up as I haven't searched many total boxes compared to most on here.

1. 8 boxes searched - 0 found
2. 28 boxes searched - 2 found
3. 28 boxes searched - 1 found
4-5. Never searched quarters
6. 7 boxes searched - 3 found
7. 7 boxes searched - 0 found
8. 10 boxes searched - 0 found
9. 15 boxes searched - 0 found
10. 53 total boxes searched - 1 Clad proof (half dollar) found

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
ArkieBassMan said:
Just to show you how averages can differ from one area to the next, compare my averages to Mr. Hartford's. But, do keep in mind that if I get a really good box soon, my averages will jump WAY up as I haven't searched many total boxes compared to most on here.

They have better eyes in Arkansas, and spot that silver right away.
It wasn't always that way though.
Nearly 40 years ago I spent the weekend with a friend on a farm just outside of Batesville. There was nothing to do so we decided to buy some Jack Daniels and get drunk. We were both underage and I got picked to buy because I supposedly looked older. My buddy warned me before I went in, that if anyone asked why I have that funny accent,tell them that you are from Virginia,because they don't like Yankees down here.
So I go in the liquor store and it's kind of like the hangout for a bunch of guys who look like they could rip my head off without blinking an eye. So I ask for the Jack Daniels,and the fellow behind the counter asks,"Where you from boy''? So I tell him that I'm from Alexandria, Virginia. He squints real hard at me,looks at the other fellows, then back at me, and asks me for some ID. I'm thinking "oh boy" I'm in trouble now. So I give him my Military ID, and he checking it out. As he is reading the back I could clearly see that he was reading it upside down."Looks good to me, he said". I got the booze and beat it out of there.
HH
Rich

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Rich Hartford said:
ArkieBassMan said:

It wasn't always that way though.
Nearly 40 years ago I spent the weekend with a friend on a farm just outside of Batesville. There was nothing to do so we decided to buy some Jack Daniels and get drunk. We were both underage and I got picked to buy because I supposedly looked older. My buddy warned me before I went in, that if anyone asked why I have that funny accent,tell them that you are from Virginia,because they don't like Yankees down here.
So I go in the liquor store and it's kind of like the hangout for a bunch of guys who look like they could rip my head off without blinking an eye. So I ask for the Jack Daniels,and the fellow behind the counter asks,"Where you from boy''? So I tell him that I'm from Alexandria, Virginia. He squints real hard at me,looks at the other fellows, then back at me, and asks me for some ID. I'm thinking "oh boy" I'm in trouble now. So I give him my Military ID, and he checking it out. As he is reading the back I could clearly see that he was reading it upside down."Looks good to me, he said". I got the booze and beat it out of there.
HH
Rich
Today, around here in TN the kops use kids to entrap the local stores- it is hard to find a clerk today who will sell kids al-key-haul.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:

I don't think its better eyes. What I do think is that a lot of the silver gets snatched before it ever has a chance to get into the system. While I have only ran across another CRHer's dump once while bank hopping, almost every bank I go into asking for halves say that people regularly come around looking for halves. Seems I am usually a day late...or the tellers just like messing with me. ;D

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
ArkieBassMan said:
Rich Hartford said:

I don't think its better eyes. What I do think is that a lot of the silver gets snatched before it ever has a chance to get into the system. While I have only ran across another CRHer's dump once while bank hopping, almost every bank I go into asking for halves say that people regularly come around looking for halves. Seems I am usually a day late...or the tellers just like messing with me. ;D
Got some 11 Silvers from teller trays at a Bank then went by same Bank for 3 moths without finding anything even clads for most part then last week they had 9 rolls in Vault she said, I got them they were in a brown bag taped shut- I got 148 Silvers 2 %90's and a Ben in all; think I just happened to come by not too long after someone had dropped them off. It is as you say lucj of the draw really.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
obediah said:
ArkieBassMan said:
Rich Hartford said:

Got some 11 Silvers from teller trays at a Bank then went by same Bank for 3 moths without finding anything even clads for most part then last week they had 9 rolls in Vault she said, I got them they were in a brown bag taped shut- I got 148 Silvers 2 %90's and a Ben in all; think I just happened to come by not too long after someone had dropped them off. It is as you say lucj of the draw really.
Yep, luck of the draw, with only individual averages.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread