Aw man...what a beauty.

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
Got a chance for a rare field hunt on the family place. The big field on the farm has been pasture or hay for the vast majority of my lifetime but a few years ago a neighbor asked if he could cash rent it and grow corn/beans. The family agreed and he's been farming it for I think 5 years now. Couple parts of the field really should have been left as a waterway and finally this past year they washed enough that some grading had to be done. After the grading was done the farmer ran back over the graded areas with a disc. Then it rained. YES!! So today I went out there to take down a couple pop up blinds I'd used during turkey season and for a quick field hunt. 5 minutes in I found this beauty. First point I've ever found of this material...really sad the base is gone...woulda been a new favorite.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 122
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    224.6 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 0

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. don't have that nice looking material around here I wish we did. that sure is a clean looking break?

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful piece, color and material! You should go back when you can. Never know what you might find especially if it hasn't been plowed in years. Good luck!

OP
OP
archer66

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
Forgot to mention that it's 1.5" long...usually I stick a ruler in the pics but forgot.

We just got about 2 inches of hard rain that came down real fast....I'll be checking that field again tomorrow.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what the disc does to the artifacts. I find 100s of broken pieces like that from the disc. The tiny ones usually make it but the big ones will get cut rite in half unless you happen to find 1 that laid between the blades which isnt often but possible. The darn disc will cut a quartz cobble rite in two thats some sharp blades.
Hope you find some whole ones on your next trip, rock

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would of loved to see the rest! Nice find regardless!!

OP
OP
archer66

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
Go back out today? Wishing you more finds!

Yes....I spent two hours today grid searching all of the areas that were turned over. All I found was flakes and a hunk of some pretty chert with cortex on one side. We got a heckuva big rain yesterday but nothing new came up. Need MORE rain!! On the plus side I noticed the neighbor disced up their hay field for the first time in years....I knocked on their door to see about getting permission to walk it but no one was home. I imagine it will get planted to soybeans so maybe I can get on it before they do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread