Awesom 4th of July find, & its dated 1776 !

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are the odds of this one ? I have been pounding a lot where an old schoolhouse sat from 1875 to 1950'ish. So far I have pulled a Franklin Half, Barber Half, Barber Dime, Seated Quarter, 2 Large Cents, a dozen wheats, & an 1893 Worlds Fair Badge. Now today along comes this Award Medal. The bar says " Award for Highest Average". The Bell is a " Liberty Bell Medal 1776 awarded for proficiency in scholarship & deportment" issued by Morris Selz. It is actually called a Morris Selz Award. It even has a crack on the front, like the real Liberty Bell. I was detecting in an area when I got a great repeatable signal from my Minelab. The numbers were not that good, but it was a good mid tone, so that means I am digging. I dug the item, & saw it was shaped like a bell, so I am thinking I just pulled an old County Dog Tax Tag. It was full of dirt so into the pouch it went. I continued on about 4 ft. further, & dug the bar hanger. It was also full of dirt but I could see some letters on it so into the pouch it went. As I still think I have a dog tax tag, I did not even make a connection of these two items belonging together. When I got home, I cleaned the bar hanger first. I even told my wife, " I wish I could have found the medal that was hanging on this". I then washed off the Bell shaped item to find out that it was not a dog tag. As I am reading the wording to my wife, she hops on google, types in Morris Selz & brings me the pictures of this Liberty Bell with it attached to the bar hanger that I had found 4 ft. away ! If this is not crazy enough, what are the odds that I dig a Liberty Bell Medal with the date 1776 on it on this 4th of July 2015 ! Needless to say, I did go out & buy a few Lotto tickets this afternoon. I also found a 1950 Washington Quarter, 1916 & 1930 Wheats that are not pictured. The finds are starting to dwindle at this place, but this one will be one of my most memorable.

Upvote 4

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a nice looking relic. Any idea what time frame it's from?

OP
OP
Trezurehunter

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice looking relic. Any idea what time frame it's from?

Morris Selz was a shoe & boot manufacturer in Chicago, Elgin, Joliet & a fourth factory. He was the only owner from 1871 to 1877. In 1878 he brought in partner Charles Schwab, & the name was changed to Selz & Schwab until the business shut down during the depression of 1929. Since it only says "Selz" on it, & not Selz & Schwab, it is
dated from the 187 to 1877 period. If you look at my same post on page 2 with the same title, you will see the picture. Sorry for the mix up.

Last edited:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy shades of the 4TH its always the little coincidences that make hunts interesting ! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread