AWESOME day at a mansion near my home...

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got permission a few weeks ago to hunt an old bed and breakfast by my home. Built around the turn on the century. Found lots of clad, a silver trinity ring, a silver pendant, a gold plated costume ring, a '51 Washington (WOO HOO!) and a very unique rosary that opens up and someone put little notes written in Latin (can only make out "Agnus Dei" "Ex Oss" and "S. Ursula". Can anyone help with some details to what/why the rosary?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-18 at 8.51.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-18 at 8.51.15 PM.png
    393.5 KB · Views: 148
  • Screen Shot 2014-05-18 at 8.45.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-18 at 8.45.38 PM.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2880.jpeg
    IMG_2880.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2882.jpeg
    IMG_2882.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 167
Upvote 9

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver is always nice, but interesting finds all the way around.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where did you find the cross? It looks like it never touched soil.

Anyway, it is not a rosary. It is an antique "Reliquary" cross, and if my interpretation of the latin is correct, it contains a 1st class relic "from the bones" of Saint Ursula. Whether or not it actually contains remnants of someone who died in the 4th century is debatable. For example, there are enough relics purported to contain a sliver of the "True Cross" to build Ship of the Line. Reliquaries are far more uncommon and valuable than simple rosaries or medallions, though their sale is considered a religious taboo. 1st class relics, from the body of the saint him/herself are the most "holy", followed by 2nd class items such as pieces of clothing worn by the individual, and 3rd/4th class relics are pieces of cloth or other materials touched to a 1st or 2nd class relic and then blessed. From the Catholic standpoint, I believe that the sale of 3rd and 4th class relics is OK, but the sale of 1st and 2nd class relics would be considered "simony".

I'd figure that the reliquary is worth at least 100 bucks. Nice find.

OP
OP
SilverFinger

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where did you find the cross? It looks like it never touched soil.

Awesome.... Thanks for all the info and you sir, have quite the keen eye for detail. You are correct. Only part of this was under the dirt. Most of it was still on top, sticking out. I didn't even detect it, I just looked down and saw it sticking out. There's no doubt it's old, can't tell how long ago it was dropped but the string attached is still intact. Very worn, but clean. A church took the bed n breakfast over in the 1950's and sold it back in the 1960's. They'd have bible study in what is now a little jazz club in the basement of the bed n breakfast. I'd sure like to sell it to help finance my MD dealership, or a second buddy detector but I don't want any bad juju. But can Jesus give you bad juju? Maybe I was meant to find it so I can sell it to help fund my little online business? God works in mysterious ways.... :)

Anyway, it is not a rosary. It is an antique "Reliquary" cross, and if my interpretation of the latin is correct, it contains a 1st class relic "from the bones" of Saint Ursula. Whether or not it actually contains remnants of someone who died in the 4th century is debatable. For example, there are enough relics purported to contain a sliver of the "True Cross" to build Ship of the Line. Reliquaries are far more uncommon and valuable than simple rosaries or medallions, though their sale is considered a religious taboo. 1st class relics, from the body of the saint him/herself are the most "holy", followed by 2nd class items such as pieces of clothing worn by the individual, and 3rd/4th class relics are pieces of cloth or other materials touched to a 1st or 2nd class relic and then blessed. From the Catholic standpoint, I believe that the sale of 3rd and 4th class relics is OK, but the sale of 1st and 2nd class relics would be considered "simony".

I'd figure that the reliquary is worth at least 100 bucks. Nice find.

thommo59

Mar 6, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the deal when you get permission,m do you offer your finds to the owner or some sort of split deal?

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome day! Good for u

OP
OP
SilverFinger

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I paid him $25 to hunt there. Seems like a lot, I know but I'd like to go back. He snagged the '51 Washington out of my hand and my heart dropped. I offered him $15 for it and he agreed. Sometimes its the value of the experience and not the actual item that makes it worth it.

NOBODY'S gonna snag my '51 Washington! :)

Zerick

May 4, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds! That Reliquary is awesome!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread