Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2016
South Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was given permission to hunt on some property that is about 500 acres of semi thick woods. Looking up the history of the property there was a school in the middle of the woods that was burnt down by jay hawkers during the civil war. I couldn't seem to find any evidence or remains of any building or structure anywhere until I came across a well. I causiously detected around the well but only turned up square nails. So I decided to tie a rope to my AT and lowered it down the well (about 14 feet to bottom) it went off like the 4th of July. Now I am half crazy at times and have been known to throw caution to the wind if there is a chance of finding a rare artifact of sorts but this is unfamiliar territory. I can usually gauge the level of stupidity or risk of climbing in building or structures that are half rotten but the idea of the walls caving in on me at the bottom of a well is honestly the only thing keeping me from going in. Some treasures are just not worth the risk. Has anyone ever climed in to a well before? It "seems" solid and doesn't appear to have loose bricks or signs of caving in but you never know. Anyone have any experience in going in old wells? Here are the picks of the well.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    638.2 KB · Views: 166
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    951.8 KB · Views: 166
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    744.3 KB · Views: 166
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    867 KB · Views: 165
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    740.1 KB · Views: 171
Upvote 9

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take proper precautions and a friend or two. Its worth a try.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would dive in head first :laughing7:... seriously though. I would be just as curious as you and would be thinking of a way to lower myself down. That tree close to the well looks a little shabby so i'd look for a more sturdy one to tie off to. I'd bring a friend with me and have him lower some 5 gallon buckets down and hoist them out for you. Whatever you decide to do, be careful, and good luck.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tie a magnet to a rope and drop it down. It may or may not retrieve some stuff depending on how deep it is under the leaf litter.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't appear to be too deep. I'd give it a try but have someone along if something goes wrong. There may have been some old coins tossed in the well.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ID JUMP ON THAT HOLE LIKE A RAT EATS CHEESE , GOOD LUCK .

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find and potential!

However, looks fairly deep and heavier gases find the low spots. If there's any way to test the air down there prior to anyone going to the bottom, please do for your own safety People are unaware of the huge danger in holes, 40 years in the construction industry showed me a whole lot. At least wear a harness with lanyard attached and at least two buddies to pull you back out in case there is an actual issue.

General_Me

Greenie
Aug 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just get down there, a rope on the base of that tree will be fine, just have a mate there with you ..awesome, take a metal detector down there with you :D

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lower a canary in a cage, if he goes sideways, the air is bad :--). seriously, I played with a similar deeper well a few weeks back. a magnet grabbed 2 water barrel hoops. if a ladder fits, I'm with Evolution & Fyrftter, a few pails on a rope to digger #2 on terra firma----then sift away. maybe a few critter skeletons for the kids to play with as a bonus. then swing a generous area around the perimeter. be careful and safe if you dive in with a harness. hope you score some goodies :o)

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buckets , milk crates, heavy ropes, shovels, and someone else to test the air quality at the bottom of the well. With the top of the well open to the outside air, you would think that the air at the bottom of the well is okay. It's better to err on the side of safety. Who knows what may have been decomposing on the bottom of that well.
Good luck and watch out for snakes.

OP
OP
J

JohnATP

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2016
South Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys i think my and a couple guys are going to go back out there in a couple weeks with some gear. I am pumped to find out what's in the bottom. I will update with what I find.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello JohnATP,

Good luck on your adventure, please be careful and use the proper equipment!

Regards,

Doc

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the very least, haul one of them zillion candlepower search lights and at least get a general idea of what's down there...you just may see enough to know you don't want to venture down there...but...if you're like me you'll jump in head first and start ripping and tearing...but seriously, spend $20 on a high power light and let us know what you find!...ddf

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will have a lot of junk in it, but should be some keepers as well. Probably best take a bucket, so your buddy can get rid of the soil, the deeper you get the better.

Aussie

Nov 2, 2009
I would have someone keep tension on your rope and harness at all times.
The bottom of those wells sometimes give way.
Good luck, I'm sure you will find something of interest.

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot of good advice here. Also you and your buddies might think about bringing along something to act as a strong lid for this hole, like some old 4X4's and a piece of old scrap metal roofing to nail to them, as a way of covering the well, protecting wild animals from that hole once you're done. Everything falls into old wells, frogs, mice, snakes, chipmunk, baby turkeys... probably even foxes now and then. And what a crap way to die. I bet the homeowner will be happy too. Any way, best of luck down there. I hope you find some cool artifacts:thumbsup:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt jump in, but I have a friend that would do it for me - he's a miner and doesnt mind tight spaces.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions