awesome find 50 years ago in folsom ky

kygirl1227

Apr 19, 2015
Dry Ridge, Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An older gentleman I know said he was helping his dad plow a field on the bottoms by a creek in folsom ky. He was only about 6 then, and his dad was yelling to throw all rocks out that were being plowed up. He said he picked up this particular one and noticed the ears first....any idea what it could have been used for...Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_73820970720827.jpeg
    IMG_73820970720827.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_73814591265465.jpeg
    IMG_73814591265465.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_73808375014426.jpeg
    IMG_73808375014426.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 213
Upvote 18

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, It surely is an early, Native American effigy. Your local university archaeologist could definitely help with the ID. Sub 8-)

OP
OP
K

kygirl1227

Apr 19, 2015
Dry Ridge, Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we tried contacting them, but they said they were unable to help us unless he was willing to donate it. He said he wasn't opposed to doing so, but would still like to know what it was in fact before he did and they never responded. Some other guy we asked said they were very common, and possibly a worship rock. He is an older man, and is just trying to find out how to identify it...or its history.

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Who ever you spoke to, probably wanted it for his personal collection. Then they can brag on their recent find from a creek bed.goldnugget-Charlotte

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COOL FIND !!:thumbsup:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is cool.

one of a kind, no doubt. Reminds me of an Oriental face.

It's such a common type of material, it's kind of odd that they would make it into something, whatever that something is.....

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it to someone else, no state museum or anything like that should say donate it and then we will help(something stinks on that). Keep checking around there are a lot of artifact collectors in your state and I'm sure someone will help you, just don't give it to them for them to keep over night or anything like that. A good collector can look at it with a scope and know right away, if they are worth their salt.

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks native for sure.....nice.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very special piece, definitely don't let him give it to the University Archaeologists... I studied archaeology and the majority of the people there were highly entitled liberals who felt that all artifacts belonged in their "enlightened" hands (or remain lost to the elements), even when they grossly misidentified items I had already identified and then shared with them in a spirit of friendly collaboration. Don't trust them, unless they are true 'ole timers who actually know their stuff. Something like that is rare and valuable, don't let them squirrel it away somewhere.

OP
OP
K

kygirl1227

Apr 19, 2015
Dry Ridge, Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks you all, however I do not have it with me at my house, again it is his. I will get in touch with him today and see if I can stop out there to take a picture of it again compared to something. If I remember correctly it is about the size of a cantaloupe and very heavy. Yeah, I must have called every artifact dealer/appraisal person in the state, even the museum to try and get info on it for him, and no one is really willing to help out. I don't blame him for not wanting to ship it off somewhere, and risk it being broke, or stolen so its kinda hard to get anyone to look at it.

OP
OP
K

kygirl1227

Apr 19, 2015
Dry Ridge, Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's willing to drive somewhere to have it looked at, but doesn't want to hand it over to anyone. Again, I don't blame him. Now he did however trust me to meet with an artifact dealer with it from Ky as well, and we were supposed to meet half way because he really wanted to see it, but never showed. :dontknow:

Ranger121

Apr 7, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites Amphibian II
Bounty Hunter
Stone artifact

When I was 14, I found an engraved stone shaped like a knife, about a foot long,,,,,along a dirt bank of the Columbia River near Wenatchee, Wa. I called it a 'war axe" tho I never really knew what it's purpose was. A male, 6th grade teacher lived next door to us, he asked if he could take it up to the local Comm College to show it to the guru's there. Said it'd be returned......I'm 67 now.....still waiting to get it back. Like this one, if I can get the pic up.

Attachments

• stone.jpg
    stone.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was 14, I found an engraved stone shaped like a knife, about a foot long,,,,,along a dirt bank of the Columbia River near Wenatchee, Wa. I called it a 'war axe" tho I never really knew what it's purpose was. A male, 6th grade teacher lived next door to us, he asked if he could take it up to the local Comm College to show it to the guru's there. Said it'd be returned......I'm 67 now.....still waiting to get it back. Like this one, if I can get the pic up.

Ugh, this is so painful! How cool looking is that example artifact, though... Congrats on your find, 53 years later my friend.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
That is an awesome find! I would recommend contacting the head Archaeologist for the State of Kentucky! Explain that your friend wants to know what it is, it's uses, from what time period and it's possible value. State that the owner is not against the idea of loaning it out with the express condition that it will be returned to the owner or his' heirs upon request, that the item be insured and if it becomes lost or stolen, he or his' heirs will be paid the full value of the Insurance placed on the item. Beware of folks that are interested in the item and supposedly do not show up for a meet to view and inspect the item. These folks could be criminals and although they did not show up for the meeting, they may have been watching and then followed you home when you left in hopes of stealing the item. There is a really big market in Native American Indian artifacts in Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina and many other States and much of it is black-marketing. Sadly, some of the oldest and most valuable finds end up in Pawn Shops or in under the table Collector's collections! While it is against the Law to dig for and remove these artifacts from burial mounds or campsites, it still takes place almost every day and I know of stretches of rivers here in Tennessee where deep holes and trenches have been dug along some rivers and some of these stretch for 50 to 100 yards or more.

Frank

Last edited:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neat piece,reminds me of a buda.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread