Nov 16, 2012
Stavanger
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Pro-Find 25
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all.
I have not posted anything for a while, but now I'm back with an awesome find. :hello2:

During the easter holiday I spent most of the time out in the fields by the Hardangerfjord in Norway.
After digging insane amounts of modern aluminium trash I came across an intresting signal.
At first I thought it was just a big coin, but after starting digging I notised the signal came from something bigger and deeper than usual.
I hoped for a while it was a pot of silver treasure since I did'nt got any Iron-audio feedback on the machine.
Finaly I i found the source of the signal with the probe, It was somethig big, so I had to pull up a few more plugs to make the hole wider.
then I removed some more loose soil and then I notised It was something made out of iron, multiple objects close together.

I look closely at it and got like a flashback to earlier this year when I found the Viking-grave.
I notised a object that might could be a sword, and something that could be a scythe. I was pretty sure I had came across another viking-grave.

I grabbed my videocamera and did some recording, covered it carefully back up and called the state/county archelogist.

Two days later the archeologist came to take a look at the find to verify that I was right about it being a grave. Along with him came a local archeologist he had invited with him.
We removed the soil again, and soon a very exited archeologist could confirm that it was a grave.
But not a vikingage grave this time, but even older. At first he dated it to be from around 450-500 AD., but later same evening he sendt me a text telling me he had done some research and he think it is from the time of "Roman Iron Age" (100-400 AD)

We have not removed anything from the grave yet, but it will be an excavation in not too distant future. And I hope my boss will let me take som time off so I can be there and help, take pictures and do video-recording.

(Some of the pictures is showing a rock with manmade carvings on it)
S1010004.jpg S1010005.jpg S1010006.jpg S1010007.jpg S1010008.jpg S1010011.jpg

Happy hunting folks, Ill keep you posted!

Video from the day the Archeologists visited

Last edited:
Upvote 15

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very interesting. hope to see more pics as it is uncovered

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY INTERESTING......

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Discovery! Keep us posted on this!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW ! and I thought the silver ring I found Sunday was interesting! Great stuff, jealous of you guys over there with the rich history. Thx for sharing, looking forward to updates! ddf

OP
OP
Bard Gauden

Bard Gauden

Nov 16, 2012
Stavanger
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys ;)

Video will be up in an hour or so :thumbsup:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you can take a few days off when excavation starts! Like to see mor pics. Condition of the iron artefacts looks to be very good!

OP
OP
Bard Gauden

Bard Gauden

Nov 16, 2012
Stavanger
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you can take a few days off when excavation starts! Like to see mor pics. Condition of the iron artefacts looks to be very good!

I totaly agree, The spearhead looks to be in stunning shape, It will be an exiting moment when the rocks in the grave gets removed and reveals the rest of the weapons! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Bard Gauden

Bard Gauden

Nov 16, 2012
Stavanger
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have added video of the find now, posted in the first post!

Cheers!

s.tan

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all.
I have not posted anything for a while, but now I'm back with an awesome find. :hello2:

During the easter holiday I spent most of the time out in the fields by the Hardangerfjord in Norway.
After digging insane amounts of modern aluminium trash I came across an intresting signal.
At first I thought it was just a big coin, but after starting digging I notised the signal came from something bigger and deeper than usual.
I hoped for a while it was a pot of silver treasure since I did'nt got any Iron-audio feedback on the machine.
Finaly I i found the source of the signal with the probe, It was somethig big, so I had to pull up a few more plugs to make the hole wider.
then I removed some more loose soil and then I notised It was something made out of iron, multiple objects close together.

I look closely at it and got like a flashback to earlier this year when I found the Viking-grave.
I notised a object that might could be a sword, and something that could be a scythe. I was pretty sure I had came across another viking-grave.

I grabbed my videocamera and did some recording, covered it carefully back up and called the state/county archelogist.

Two days later the archeologist came to take a look at the find to verify that I was right about it being a grave. Along with him came a local archeologist he had invited with him.
We removed the soil again, and soon a very exited archeologist could confirm that it was a grave.
But not a vikingage grave this time, but even older. At first he dated it to be from around 450-500 AD., but later same evening he sendt me a text telling me he had done some research and he think it is from the time of "Roman Iron Age" (100-400 AD)

We have not removed anything from the grave yet, but it will be an excavation in not too distant future. And I hope my boss will let me take som time off so I can be there and help, take pictures and do video-recording.

(Some of the pictures is showing a rock with manmade carvings on it)
View attachment 982906 View attachment 982907 View attachment 982908 View attachment 982909 View attachment 982910 View attachment 982911

Happy hunting folks, Ill keep you posted!

Congrats, Bard. Just an awesome find. You really deserve a title such as "metal detecting archaeologist". You not only recognized a grave site by the placement of artifacts but removed plugs in a manner that left the artifacts undisturbed. Most of us would have probably pulled out the first one, rechecked our hole, removed the next, rechecked etc. until it occurred to us that perhaps this was not just an accidental drop or cache. Congratulations again. Can't wait to see the pics of the full excavation!

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really neat. I am anxious to hear how it all comes out and what the archeologists find and determine. Great job on being responsible and reporting it as well!!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How do you go from exposing an ancient grave (!!) to casually describing a fishing lure?!? You must have ice water in your veins, man! I would be camped out beside that grave until an archeologist showed up! Good grief . . . TERRIFIC man.

OP
OP
Bard Gauden

Bard Gauden

Nov 16, 2012
Stavanger
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you go from exposing an ancient grave (!!) to casually describing a fishing lure?!? You must have ice water in your veins, man! I would be camped out beside that grave until an archeologist showed up! Good grief . . . TERRIFIC man.

LOL, Yeah I know. I'm like; "Hmmm....A bit exciting" :laughing7:
In my defence, I was still a bit unsure if it was a grave or just som lumps of iron piled together.

And again, I have allready found a Viking grave before so It was a bit easier to stay cool this time :occasion14:

OP
OP
Bard Gauden

Bard Gauden

Nov 16, 2012
Stavanger
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Age grave! New information.

I just got word from the Archaeologist that the excavation will start May the 5th and will go over five days.
I have had a talk with my boss and he accepted to let have that week off.

So I will be doing a lot of recording and photographing. :occasion14:

So stay tuned and enjoy ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread