Awesome Hunt with a BOBCAT! USA button, 2 more Cannonballs, Coins, Colonial & More!!!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Hunt with a BOBCAT! USA button, 2 more Cannonballs, Coins, Colonial & More!!!

Hello all! I got together with 4 other friends for 3 days this weekend to do some serious digging. We rented a bobcat to clear out the undergrowth & do some digging (with the landowner's permission of course, I wasn't detecting with that wrestler guy lol). This is the same location where I found the 3 howitzer shells, the home of a Revolutionary War general. There was an encampment here & we found it! (a very small portion of it)

The find of the weekend was a beautiful USA Continental Army button found by Randy! I want one bad, it's going to happen soon, I can feel it! It's in amazing shape. There is no edge loss whatsoever! We were hunting a spot that had a lot of nails where I found my 3 shells. We decided to take a layer off the top of a roughly 20ftx20ft area. Then we detected that & found a few things. We decided to take another layer off & see if we could still hear iron, we did. I got a great signal & pulled up a thimble. Then I see Randy smiling & dropped something into my buddy's Bill's hand. It was a USA button! Then Chris noticed some ash. He started digging & it was a fire pit! We dug it out and found a lot of animal bones, nails, pottery & a tombac button. At that point we decided to clear off the area right beside this area. We found another fire pit! It was a near perfect gray circle visible. Unfortunately this was the last day (at the end of the day) that we had the bobcat to use. We marked the area & will be back soon to look for the larger encampment. This was a really neat experience, it made me realize how much can be masked by all the iron.

We recovered a lot of relics throughout the weekend, I've included some of my buddies finds as well. Chris found 2 more howitzer shells right next to each other (about 1.5 ft down). This makes 7 from this site! I've found 3 & Chris has found 3 so it's a contest now to see who finds #4!
I found everything except what I have named. Now, I'll let the relics speak for themselves. Thanks for looking& HH!

Attachments

• bobcat1.png
    bobcat1.png
    272.3 KB · Views: 206
  • bobcat2.png
    bobcat2.png
    214.1 KB · Views: 204
  • fire2.png
    fire2.png
    374.1 KB · Views: 236
  • fire.png
    fire.png
    351.1 KB · Views: 232
  • cw.png
    cw.png
    828 KB · Views: 249
  • RG.png
    RG.png
    95.8 KB · Views: 275
  • lanny.png
    lanny.png
    221.7 KB · Views: 250
  • buttons.png
    buttons.png
    234.3 KB · Views: 246
  • firepit.png
    firepit.png
    218 KB · Views: 228
  • misc_21.png
    misc_21.png
    116.9 KB · Views: 223
  • misc_items.png
    misc_items.png
    120.1 KB · Views: 212
  • gw_plate.png
    gw_plate.png
    160.4 KB · Views: 205
  • iron.png
    iron.png
    170.4 KB · Views: 206
  • HINGES.png
    HINGES.png
    221.6 KB · Views: 205
  • pottery.png
    pottery.png
    230 KB · Views: 207
Upvote 20

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome collection of finds! Congrats!

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone has a reference other than this article IDing these for military coats I'd love to see it. Not discrediting the article but I haven't seen anything like this used on Rev War jackets although I have only seen reproductions.

Attachments

• image-157632107.jpg
    image-157632107.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 57
  • image-2018831398.jpg
    image-2018831398.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 64
  • image-4292083454.jpg
    image-4292083454.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 60
  • image-1813812466.jpg
    image-1813812466.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 59

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone has a reference other than this article IDing these for military coats I'd love to see it. Not discrediting the article but I haven't seen anything like this used on Rev War jackets although I have only seen reproductions.

That's why I posted it as 'food for thought". I have found the same curved "shield" piece on colonial military sites. It doesn't have the "prongs" like the shield strap tippets. The boss does appear to have a had a wire embedded in the boss which would be more appropriate for affixing to cloth than leather. I have not studied coat tails of period jackets either, and am not sold on this theory myself.

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I posted it as 'food for thought". I have found the same curved "shield" piece on colonial military sites. It doesn't have the "prongs" like the shield strap tippets. The boss does appear to have a had a wire embedded in the boss which would be more appropriate for affixing to cloth than leather. I have not studied coat tails of period jackets either, and am not sold on this theory myself.
I'm going to do some research, I'll send you a message if I find anything.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Outstanding post Josh! You guys did great and must have had a ball using the bobcat. I can't begin to tell you how many sites I could use one of those in. Are you bringing in the machine in for round 2 when you return?

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding post Josh! You guys did great and must have had a ball using the bobcat. I can't begin to tell you how many sites I could use one of those in. Are you bringing in the machine in for round 2 when you return?
Thanks Bill, it was a ball! I want to bring it again & locate the other firepits. Unfortunately only one of the guys knows how to operate it & has the trailer. It's not cheap but not unrealistic. It was $290 for the rental & about $65 for the grass seed & sorghum. We picked it up Friday after 12 & had to have it back Monday AM. We only got charged for one day as long as we didn't use it over 8 hours. It was actually a good deal. It worked out to $71 a person with 5 people. It was definitely worth if in my opinion.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That USA button is terrific! Good luck on the return trip. So you can rent a bobcat excavator - Hmmmmmm? That's one dig tool that I've never tried.

ShovelNose

Apr 6, 2010
Little River S.C.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great adventure Josh. Amazing how much dirt has filtered on top of all this. Some really great finds.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that's a great hunt for sure. Get up there and dig out all those fire pits. You might find that they're equally spaced apart from each other. Might make them much easier to locate and dig.

Congrats on the great recoveries!

-Buck

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that looks like some serious fun...I would hunt every inch of that place until nothing was left. There certainly should be some trash pits!

nice going. Mark sure you preserve that USA as the pewter will eventually dry out if not stabilized.

Dan

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that looks like some serious fun...I would hunt every inch of that place until nothing was left. There certainly should be some trash pits!

nice going. Mark sure you preserve that USA as the pewter will eventually dry out if not stabilized.

Dan

We looked for privies & trash pits but didn't have any luck, it would be glorious if we could locate them. I plan on recovering as much as I can from the site, it's very important to me & there's a ton of history behind the property. I wish I could share more but we are far from done with this location. My buddy found the USA, not me. I swear when it came out of the ground it was almost shiny. The pic I posted is uncleaned. There is no edge loss whatsoever, not sure it will need anything but an air tight case. The photos do not really do it justice... I am getting better at restoring the pewter buttons using my buddy's method. It's basically stabilizing the edges with super glue (with a tiny pin or toothpick). Those cracked edges soak it right up & you're not left with a glossy shiny mess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread