paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been continuing the sifting project, but I took a little break to redo a yard that I tried last spring. The ground was highly mineralized so the AT pro had trouble with most spots, but I wanted to give the Deus a shot since I had a good feeling about what might still be hiding. Once again the Deus did not disappoint and I found a bunch of relics that were otherwise masked including this great little coin spill:

DSC07373.JPG DSC07380.JPG DSC07382.JPG

There's thick corrosion where the coins lay against each other, but the face of the IHP cleaned up perfectly and as it turns out it's an 1871 which is a key date! The other is an 1857 flying eagle cent which is an uncommon dig by itself, but to find both in one hole is awesome!

Initially I was bummed when I dug this because I was sure I had my first silver dollar based on the signal. No such luck, but once I started cleaning it off the disappointment vanished and now I think this may be better!

DSC07374.JPG DSC07375.JPG

It's a medal from the New York Work Horse Parade! I did some research and the parade was organized starting in 1907 to encourage the kind treatment or horses which at the time were the primary means of transport in NYC. The event went on for only a handful of years until automobiles started to supplant horses to a greater extent. Below is the original press release for the event that I found in the New York Times archive.

Untitled.jpg

The medal is dated 1907 so I think this may be from the first year they held the parade and was probably a participation award of some sort. I can't find many examples of the various awards from the event online so I don't think many survived until today!

There were a handful of other cool finds including a nice assortment of buttons including a large tombac and a glass button. I also found this fantastic bone-handled pocket knife. I didn't want it to fall apart so I ended up doing a boiling wax dip which seems to have a done a good job stabilizing it. Interestingly it has the remains of a corkscrew like tool in addition to the knife blade.

DSC07383.JPG DSC07388.JPG DSC07390.JPG DSC07389.JPG

There were also a couple of little lead soldiers and a lead hound. The hound is actually part of a British-made hunt set that included a hare. Not exactly sure on the date, but it was listed as pre-war so either pre WWI or WWII I guess.

DSC07386.JPG DSC07387.JPG

And finally the last find was a nice 1839 large cent:

DSC07378.JPG DSC07379.JPG

Overall a great hunt and I guess the moral is never be afraid to retread some old ground. Especially if you have a new detector to try! :laughing7:

Upvote 29
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great old coins and relics, congratulations! :occasion14:

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats, love the Flying Eagle

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome job of recovering some great finds. glad the Deus did it's job for you

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man oh man, what an awesome post! I love relics more than coins, but you recovered terrific examples of both! Great job!

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pennies! Wondering when I'll find another one!

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice in the last paragraph as well..

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score. You have a nice variety from that yard. I usually cover each yard with 2 or 3 different detectors to be sure I don’t miss things. I always find things with the second and third detector.

Keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread