AWOIS vs. Chart wreck symbols

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
I'm trying to find out about a couple of wrecks that are depicted by wreck symbols on the NOAA charts but I cannot find them on the AWOIS list. Are all wrecks on the charts on the AWOIS list? They don't appear to be. I've looked for the wrecks according to the chart number and then again by the coordinates.....no luck. Thanks

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
In my area, many times wreck symbols have been left on charts for historical purposes and not necessarily to indicate an obstruction to navigation - which is the main purpose for AWOIS. I'm not sure what exact parameters are used to mark a navigational obstruction, but I do know of a few wooden wrecks that only poke out of the sand about a foot in 15' of water that are not classified as an obstruction. In other words, if there's not an obstruction listed in AWOIS for a location, it doesn't necessarily mean that a wreck isn't there.

It's weird because sometimes even the AWOIS entry for a wreck may say that a search was conducted but nothing was found. I've personally found this to be untrue on many sites, although a few of them could certainly be due to the shifting of sands and silt on the bottom.

Another thing about AWOIS that you may want to take note of; I've found that several AWOIS entries in my area that denote "concrete rubble" were actually ballast piles from sailing ships with at least one of them being an actual wreck site. I suspect that some of the survey divers may not be very experienced when it comes to identify the types of obstructions or visibility underwater may play a role as well. In other words, if you have a gut feeling a wreck may be in a particular location, it may be worthwhile to check all of the nearby AWOIS obstructions.

My two cents.

Pcola

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread