Awsome Day!!

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great day! I detected in two different places. The first place is close to the old town cemetary and I found two musket balls. The next place I went to was a rock shelter that is beside a hole of water where people in the early-mid 1900s would be baptized and would swim. You would imagine my surprise when I dug up a 1784 Silver Spaish coin! (in picture below) It says Carolus III on it and on the back there is a seal with what looks like lions in two corners and maybe a castle in the other two. There are also the letters "DEI," on the front. Strange find in a rockhouse in Eastern Kentucky! I also found three silver quarters, a mercury dime and a wheat penny in the same place. All date between 1939-1944. Any ideas on how the Spanish coin would end up here?

group.gif

spanish coin.gif

silver coin 2.gif

quarter.gif

dime.gif

musket balls.gif

Upvote 2

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Score !

OP
OP
EC.Mason

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The funny thing is I was just telling my buddy this morning that I havnt found a coin in a long time; then find six in one place, and five of them silver!

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on your Spanish silver.thats good thinking hitting that old swimming hole like that.way to go

OP
OP
EC.Mason

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks John Boy. Im pretty stoked on these finds. Like I said I havnt found a good coin in awhile; so everyone I found just made the day that much sweeter. Im still shocked at finding a Spanish coin here in Elliott County Ky. Just odd.

OP
OP
EC.Mason

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plan on hitting it again tomorrow. Swept it pretty good, but want to cover it several times.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the 2 reales, appears as possibly fire damaged.

Can you read all the letters on the shield side,

OP
OP
EC.Mason

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all of them. And im not sure if I misled, but I found one Spanish coin. Im still working on cleaning it so hopefully I will be able to read more soon.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
EC.Mason

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone explain the reales to me. Not sure what they mean or if it has to so with the size of the coin. This one is bigger then a quarter. So what would this have been worth back in it's time?

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being slightly bigger than a quarter, I would imagine it's a 2 reale coin. They were legal tender in the united states until 1857 but were used starting in late 1700s. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

The term "pieces of 8" refers to the larger 8-reale version of your coin..definitely a great find!!

OP
OP
EC.Mason

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grasshopper; thanks for the information. Im still stunned that this was found where it was. I would just love to know how it got there. There really wasnt anything in this area until the mid 1800s and even then it was very isolated and homes were scarce. Im guessing maybe a hunter dropped it. There were trading posts on the Ohio River which is about 40 minutes from here so I guess its possible people were hunting in the area. It could have been dropped by a surveryor as well.

Rick; I can only see letters, and cant make much out. Above the crown on the left side I see ".2 R.M.I." On the right side of the coin I see "HISPANEIINI? Cant make it out for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions