Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
photo0.jpg

Here is my first attempt and preservation of iron objects. I think they came out pretty well. I cleaned them in an electrolysis bath for about 6 hours and then cooked them in paraffin. The piece of shot came out the best I would say. I believe it came out of some sort of mortar, but I am not 100% certain.

I watched several videos on the subject. The only thing that was left to figure out was time to cook. I let them go until I did not see any more bubbling from the water steaming out. I guess that is enough.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unfortunately when it comes to iron relics only time will tell if you were successful in halting corrosion/oxidation which IMO is like cancer. No doubt that moisture is a catalyst and it sounds like you have attempted to tackle that with the combination heat and paraffin. I have resorted to baking my relics on a hot plate before sealing them. I would have used our oven but my wife has no sense of humor about that so I don't push the boundaries of my hobby that she tolerates.

By my experience with axe heads, the most difficult to clean and problematic area is the inside where the handle was inserted and that is an area to watch.

OP
OP
mlutz

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
By my experience with axe heads, the most difficult to clean and problematic area is the inside where the handle was inserted and that is an area to watch.[/QUOTE]

I figured that would be the toughest spot. I am going to watch it for a day or two and see if I need to recook it. It definitely looks better than when I dug it out.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should have gone longer on the electrolysis, especially on the axe head. There is still is rust in the pits on it and they will continue to rust and pop off in the future. Use a propane torch to dry iron after electrolysis. It's a lot quicker then using the oven.

OP
OP
mlutz

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You should have gone longer on the electrolysis, especially on the axe head. There is still is rust in the pits on it and they will continue to rust and pop off in the future. Use a propane torch to dry iron after electrolysis. It's a lot quicker then using the oven.

You think so? Will it make a difference since I have covered it in paraffin? I may very well have to redo the treatment if the internals start to rust. I am not sure how well it will go with wax all over it. Thoughts anyone?

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm actually working on an axe head now. I go the vinegar route instead of electrolysis. Then I attack the scale/scabs with a dremel tool with diamond bits, which is tedious but effective. As P. P. Hiker accurately pointed out, if you don't remove them they will fester. I soak the relics in baking soda and water for a day to neutralize any vinegar in the relic then I soak it for a day in distilled water to try to achieve a balanced PH. Then I cook it on the hot plate for an hour and after it is cooled I brush on Ospho and then wipe dry. I then heat it up again and rub it with Microcrystalline which is harder than paraffin and let it cool down.

You will need to BBq that puppy over a fire to get the paraffin off.

OP
OP
mlutz

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I may hit it with my dremel tool and then recook it.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Dug says. Sometimes you have to dig deep into the pits. I use a sharp metal point. It's tedious, but gets the job done. The little rust spots may take a couple years to pop off, but they eventually will.

OP
OP
mlutz

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have an electric wire wheel/grinder that I could use on it that would pretty much shine it up. I wonder if I would damage it further by doing that? It would certainly take the rust off though. Then immediately cook it again in the paraffin.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite often I use a hand held wire brush, but it leaves scratch marks. If you;re not concerned about scratches, go for it.

OP
OP
mlutz

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Quite often I use a hand held wire brush, but it leaves scratch marks. If you;re not concerned about scratches, go for it.

It is not like I am going to sell this thing so I am not too worried about scratching it some and the paraffin may help hide any of that once I recook it. I am mainly wanting to stop the degradation of the iron. New project for the weekend. It shouldn't take long.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have an electric wire wheel/grinder that I could use on it that would pretty much shine it up. I wonder if I would damage it further by doing that? It would certainly take the rust off though. Then immediately cook it again in the paraffin.

I have a pretty stout bench grinder with one side being a wire wheel. I can tell you from experience that it will only remove the scale that has an edge to it, otherwise it just polishes the top of the scab and leaves it a shiny black scab. I have a compact needler (air tool) from Harbor Freight that does a pretty good job of removing the larger scabs but it is kind of noisy. Neighbors must think I'm demo-ing my house when I'm using it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread