Axe head ID Found and Updated

Dan32981

Nov 11, 2005
Oak Harbor, Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, i contacted the state museum and curators and got some helpful information and they were able to identify my axe head, and time period it was used and from what mill company used it. Enjoy!

The object you found near Eustis, Maine is a marking axe or hatchet in the American wedge style. It would have been used by members of a lumber crew to either mark a standing tree intended for felling or on already felled logs to mark possession. The blade was used for cutting a "blaze" (removing a piece of the bark) and the poll is used for imprinting the initials, or in your case, the image of two arrows.

The Maine State Museum holds Daniel Craney's notebook of log marks, which records the log marks of several logging companies operating on the Kennebec River from 1902 to 1906. Craney records the mark you found as being used by Berlin Mills, a company based in Berlin, NH. Berlin Mills used this mark in 1906 and 1907. The mark you found, with two arrows, is only one of several marks used by the company during this time period.

Hey everyone, found this axe head at an old 1800's lumber mill site, it is unlike any i have ever found, it has two arrows going in opposite directions on the back of head. Im thinking that it might be the loggers "Stamp, or brand" to mark "his logs" so to ensure the right person gets paid for them? Any info is greatly appreciated! Happy Dirt Fishing!

-Dan

Attachments

• T-net 1.jpg
    T-net 1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 619
  • T-net 2.jpg
    T-net 2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 611
  • T-net 3.jpg
    T-net 3.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 615
Upvote 0

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
Re: Axe head ID needed!

Pretty cool man! Someone will chime in soon and figure it out for sure. We will do some dirt fishing on Friday! See ya tomorrow

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is an unusual axe head. Good luck with the ID. HH, Mike

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250

that is exacttly corect my gear mder it is a loggers brand today we use oil base crayons or spray paint

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006

Nice find. Those log brands clean up very well. That is a peculiar one. Any that I have seen or found had a more narrow design on them to penetrate the end of the log. The design on yours is so broad that it wouldn't leave much of a mark. Ya gotta find some more. They are an interesting part of the old logging era.

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

I've sold some in good condition, with initials, for $80 to $150 a few years back.

OP
OP
Dan32981

Dan32981

Nov 11, 2005
Oak Harbor, Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Axe head ID Found! Updated!!!

Hey all, got some information back from the state on the axe head i found. Enjoy!

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
Great research man! That is so awesome you can link that axe to a company and time period too. WTG! See ya in the A.M.

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
It's great that you could put a name on that mark. It is usually very difficult to do that. You did good finding that one. There are more out there to be found and when you do, be sure to post them on this site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread